Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:58 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,943 times

Advertisements

Since there's so much hate going around in the other threads, I figured it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to those who do like tattoos, piercings, scarification, and other such body modifications. Those of you who are indifferent or don't like them are welcome to enter the discussion as well. The name of the game in this thread is play nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,217 times
Great idea. I appreciate all ink, even if it isn't something I would get myself. I have 5 total and plan on getting quite a few more. I have a few piercing, all but one hidden!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:54 PM

I must admit, I'm a bit of a tattoo snob, lol. I know what I like and what I don't like.

I've got one tattoo and five piercings, hope to have a few more of both by the end of the year.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:00 PM

Tattoos really are addicting. My budget has been a bit tight or else I would have gotten some more already. The last one I got done was 2 years ago. medium sized pieces, pretty simple- but I want something more elaborate on my back and on my ribs. I'm not looking forward to the pain of the ribs, but I know when it's done it will be my favorite piece.

What piercings do you have if you don't mind? I'm planning on getting a surface piercing in a month or two for the summer.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:03 PM

Two stretched earlobes, two in my bottom lip, and a tongue piercing.

What kind of surface piercing? Depending on the location, you may want to consider microdermals.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 PM

213 posts, read 416,639 times
Tattoos are cool

Old 06-13-2010, 06:20 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
6 tats and 7 piercings and one suspension. I've removed 4 piercings that I can remember.

The piercings are:
Left nostril X 2
Left eyebrow X 2
Left earlobe X2
-----2 guage and 6 guage
Left nipple

My first tattoo was a bit of a hack job. I got it when I was 18. The letters LOTT on my left shoulder. It was a tribute to the first song that I ever played on stage.

Second tattoo came pretty soon after that. The bass line for the Aerosmith song Sweet Emotion as an armband. The first song I ever learned to play on bass.

Both are visible here

My next tattoo is the Egyptian god Anpu on my left calf. Got that in remembrance of the two years that I spent living in Egypt. I've also always been interested in mythology. Anpu was one of the gods of the Egyptian underworld. He assisted in the weighing of the deceased's heart against a feather to determine the fate of the soul. Also a reminder for me to make good choices in life.

I followed that up with my favorite piece. It's a Christian cross inside a Rorschach inkblot with Einstein's equation replacing ENRI on the cross. My take on religion, science and perception.

My next was a copy one of the original cuneiform tablets of the Sumerian Gilgamesh epic. This particular version totally blew me away. A 5000+ year old piece of literature that was so unmistakably a piece of literary art work. The passage I have tattooed is about Gilgamesh discussing his friend Enkidu's upcoming death. Enkidu is upset that the gods have decided to punish him by death. Gilgamesh tells him not to blame the gods for taking away all the Enkidu holds dear because they gave it to him in the first place. A pretty advanced outlook on life

My most recent tattoo (not last, I hope) is the Yellow Brick Road from my favorite movie/book, The Wizard of Oz (which I've read in English, French and Swedish). It starts at my belly button and winds its way down to ... oz.

EDIT: Doh! I also have a tattoo of my enlarged thumbprint on my left shoulder. A statement towards all the people that walk into a tattoo parlor and say "I want that flower that everyone else has tattooed on my skin forever to show how original I am".

Last edited by filihok; 06-13-2010 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: forgot one of my tattoos

Old 06-13-2010, 06:25 PM

^^Wow! I love it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post

What kind of surface piercing? Depending on the location, you may want to consider microdermals.
See, I keep going back and forth on which one to get. I was going to let the piercer decided since I am getting conflicting information.

The area is my mid lower back, right above where the jeans hit. Actually, I just googled microdermals again after you mentioned it, and that looks more like what I need. I just got the names mixed up.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
^^Wow! I love it all.

See, I keep going back and forth on which one to get. I was going to let the piercer decided since I am getting conflicting information.

The area is my mid lower back, right above where the jeans hit. Actually, I just googled microdermals again after you mentioned it, and that looks more like what I need. I just got the names mixed up.
My best friend plans on getting a pair right there, too.

Make sure when you get it done that your piercer is using microdermals, and not skin divers. Skin divers have the tendency to just "pop out."

Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post

You seem like a pretty knowledgeable person to ask about this.

One of the many tats I've got rattling around up in my head is a taijitu symbol on the back of my neck. But instead of the black and white dots I wanted to get a piercing and have the two balls be the dots.

Back when I almost got this idea (a while ago) they were doing those type of piercings with plastic tubing which I didn't think was too safe of an idea. How has the technology improved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty