Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,571 times

Advertisements

Wait for people to say she's "not black enough" No thread about black beauty is complete without this tiresome argument.

Lupita is an attractive woman but I don't find her extraordinarily beautiful. I know African women in real life that are more beautiful than her, even without the expensive clothes and professional make-up.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM

632 posts, read 932,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
"african-american" smh

how is someone with a kenyan father who was born in mexico city an "african-american"
Well Mexico is in America.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
She is a tool for the media and has got her five minutes of fame, time to move on to the next flavor of the month.

I think the media likes her because she looks so ethnic. So African, with her natural short hair and unusual features in comparison to the typical Black Actress and it helps us White People get over our white guilt by being told by the media we should admire her.
Beauty is beauty. She is stunning - in her looks and style and demeanor. People can't take their eyes off of her because of it - not because they are trying to placate "white guilt." She has that "it" factor, regardless of skin color. There are not many people who have this anymore in Hollywood - with all the "reality" stars around. Reminds me of old Hollywood - Lena Horn, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn (I don't care about skin color)... Or Sydney Poitier - intelligence and elegance and beauty and presence and depth...

Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Lupita has the most beautiful perfect skin.

She is slender but looks strong and has nice muscle tone.

She looks authentic. I hope she stays this way and doesn't start wearing wigs and getting implants.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Well Mexico is in America.
and so is Canada if you want to go according to continents

yet i dont see black canadians running around calling themselves "african-american" or "african canadian"

you know what i mean

Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,286 times
Am I the only one that does not know who this woman is? What is her role that has caused her this sudden spotlight. She is an attractive woman. That being said she does not look likke me as a black woman, physically speaking so I can't say that she is a good representation for all black women.

I have a Carmel complexion more similar to Megan good or Sanaa Lathan, Im not slender or thin, but average sized with hips and curves and I wear my hair to my shoulders. In other words, she looks nothing like me...

That being said I think she is attractive and is possibly a great representative for darker slender woman who admittingly don't get as much of the spotlight or the attention. Based on the media attention she has gotten, most of which talks about how beautiful she is, I would say its a great start in representing black beauty.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:03 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,596,157 times
She's got that color that I really love because I've seen it with my own eyes!

I was downtown waiting at a corner for the light to change so I could cross the street. This tall beautifully chocolate colored man was waiting next to me. I was very young and had never seen someone like him before in my life. I realized he had to be African because I had never seen any black (African American) with that shade of brown before. It was stunning... like I was looking at a Hershey bar. I couldn't stop staring at this man and he picked up on it. All he did was smile and say hi because I'm sure he got my reaction all the time from people. I was very shy and too bashful to speak so I just smiled back at him. Before you know it the light changed and we parted ways. This was in the early 80's and I will never forget that encounter.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:30 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Am I the only one that does not know who this woman is? What is her role that has caused her this sudden spotlight.
She just won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for 12 Years a Slave, and she's been killing it on the red carpet for months: http://tomandlorenzo.com/tag/lupita-nyongo/.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
how is someone with a kenyan father who was born in mexico city an "african-american"..............
You do know, right, that Mexico is an American country? People of Mexico are Americans, and a person of African decent, born in Mexico City, which is in America, can properly be called African American.

The United States is a long ways from being the only country located in America,

Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,318,333 times
I agree about her being classy.
I wouldn't say she is slender, though - she is very skinny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty