Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
She just won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for 12 Years a Slave, and she's been killing it on the red carpet for months: Lupita Nyong’o | Tom & Lorenzo Fabulous & Opinionated.
Ah! Okay that makes sense! I haven't seen 12 years a slave so I had no idea who she was.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,783 times
I think Lupita is very beautiful.

I agree that we need more "average" sized actresses, across all races. Most actresses are too thin in comparison to the average American. We need to set a more reasonable standard of beauty.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
LOL, no doubt she'll be the next "Sexiest/Most Beautiful Woman Alive" in that rag's (People) annual edition. They cater to flavors of the month.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4343 View Post
I was watching some of the coverage of the award winning African actress, Lupita Nyong'o. As a dark skinned African American woman, I must admit, it's truly refreshing to see a beautiful and slender African woman like Lupita, receiving praise for her acting abilities and remarkable beauty. Usually, the majority of women in the states who reap tons of accolades are often white or other non black women, who are often mixed and have light skin and general white features.

I am wondering if this will open up the door for other gorgeous dark black women to shine? Your thoughts??

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hhPt52GTe7...s1600/lupi.jpg
She is gorgeous. If she were a figurine or a portrait, I would buy it.

Last edited by goodlife36; 03-07-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I am not sure why you think its refreshing to see a slender,dark skinned woman when most in Hollywood are slender.

I mean,most of the African American actresses are slender.
When have you saw a dark skinned,thick woman called beautiful?

I want to see more thick,beautiful,dark skinned African American women.

I am not throwing shade,its just that she is still the stereotypical "dark skinned,thin woman". We have Naomi Campbell,Iman,Beverly Johnson,the other tall,dark model from Sudan(I forgot her name).

Name someone overweight AND dark skinned called beautiful?

I am not saying they have to be Gabby Sidebe's size either.
I agree with you. However, I am so sick of seeing biracial women representing black women. In the black community, we have serious issues when it comes to skin tone. It helps lift up the self esteem of the darker complexioned girls. Lupita is beautiful. However, I honestly believe the average black man would choose someone like Beyonce or Halle Berry over her.

I think the lady on Fashion Queens is beautiful.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
The door has never been closed. I thought she looked beautiful in that Oscars dress. When she gave her speech she became even MORE beautiful. I think American black women should learn from her. She had poise, grace, didn't talk like a stupid Basketball Housewife or "Hot-Lanta Housewife". She is the epitome of elegance, grace, and beauty.

Oh, and she's African Mexican (not African American) for those who wonder about her background.
Black women can learn from her? How many black women do you know? It can't be too many if you think most black women are like the ones on a reality show. Shame on you.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So,what does that have to do with finding bigger women beautiful?

To me,she is the same old same old skinny minnie in Hollywood.

Wake me up when a thick,dark skinned woman comes along.
Ha!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:44 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I agree with you. However, I am so sick of seeing biracial women representing black women. In the black community, we have serious issues when it comes to skin tone. It helps lift up the self esteem of the darker complexioned girls. Lupita is beautiful. However, I honestly believe the average black man would choose someone like Beyonce or Halle Berry over her.

I think the lady on Fashion Queens is beautiful.
Sad but true.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM

632 posts, read 932,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
and so is Canada if you want to go according to continents

yet i dont see black canadians running around calling themselves "african-american" or "african canadian"

you know what i mean
I know what you mean. But in theory, they could.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
it's a big bandwagon

everyone wants to put her out there for the sake of "diversity" and say how pretty she is and sing praises

when in reality... the faces that will continue to be used to represent "black" women are the mixed-brrr paula patton, nicole ari parker, halle berry types or they'll take beyonce whos a golden brown complexion and lighten her till she looks white

in a month noone will even talk about this woman

i hate the fakeness of the media and the bandwaggoners
I do not believe people are fascinated with her because she is black. I think it is because she is a beautiful woman with a great sense of fashion. I looked her up. She can dress. Don't take this away from her because she is black. I did not see her performance because I am not interested in watching another movie about slavery. The chick is hot.

The Halle Berrys will always be the preferred "black" person. However, I think black people are also guilty of perpetuating this. In the media, black men only seem to date white women or women who look white. I do not support them in the media or movies. Why should I? I would much prefer to watch English and Australian actors.

Last edited by goodlife36; 03-07-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty