Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4343 View Post
Typically, we see the same type of beauty being recognized, so when a woman like Lupita comes along, everyone is forced to take notice. She has such poise and confidence. I find her inner and outer beauty very refreshing.

I also love the fact that she's small breasted and doesn't feel the need to hide this fact. She seems very comfortable in her own skin.
She can't possibly represent for American Black women anyway.

You say you are tired of mixed women representing black women,but yet its ok for an African(Kenyan) woman to???

Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,720 times
it's a big bandwagon

everyone wants to put her out there for the sake of "diversity" and say how pretty she is and sing praises

when in reality... the faces that will continue to be used to represent "black" women are the mixed-brrr paula patton, nicole ari parker, halle berry types or they'll take beyonce whos a golden brown complexion and lighten her till she looks white

in a month noone will even talk about this woman

i hate the fakeness of the media and the bandwaggoners

Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM

31,013 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So,what does that have to do with finding bigger women beautiful?

To me,she is the same old same old skinny minnie in Hollywood.

Wake me up when a thick,dark skinned woman comes along.
You will probably be sleeping a long time before Hollywood or the Fasion industry hold up any thick woman as pretty. Maybe Queen Latifah comes close?

The whole 'we are so open' Hollywood is the pinnacle of hypocrisy.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 03-07-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
in a month noone will even talk about this woman.
Not true. She possesses much more than beauty. She has a true ability to act, along with grace, humility, and intelligence. That won't be gone in a month.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 AM

686 posts, read 1,230,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
it's a big bandwagon

everyone wants to put her out there for the sake of "diversity" and say how pretty she is and sing praises

when in reality... the faces that will continue to be used to represent "black" women are the mixed-brrr paula patton, nicole ari parker, halle berry types or they'll take beyonce whos a golden brown complexion and lighten her till she looks white

in a month noone will even talk about this woman

i hate the fakeness of the media and the bandwaggoners
I hate how people get all huffy and puffy over levels of blackness. Halle Berry is BLACK!! Get the eff over it. Stop all trying to dissect and categorize it. Its always the same women who get upset over something stupid like this. "Oh, she's not black enough for me." Please.

Lupita carries herself extremely well. All you Hot-Lanta housewife watching women should take note and try to be more like her instead of those crazy ignant NBA Housewife types.

Halle Berry - Beautiful black role model actress and beauty queen.
Rashida Jones - Beautiful black role model actress and beauty queen.
Maya Rudolph - Beautiful and extremely talented comedienne, actress.
Condi Rice - Highest ranking black woman in the history of U.S. Government. Should be looked up to by all women. THIS is a great role model and, yes, I think a face of not only black beauty, but also of black intelligence.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
I never thought "Lupita's beauty really stands for something."

I thought, "That woman is really beautiful - in many ways."

That kind of beauty doesn't go out of style.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 03-07-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

I am not throwing shade,its just that she is still the stereotypical "dark skinned,thin woman". We have Naomi Campbell,Iman,Beverly Johnson,the other tall,dark model from Sudan(I forgot her name).
The fashion world (world-wide) has always been rather accepting of darker skinned women. But that's also an industry where unconventional ideas of "beauty" are often acceptable. Just look at any avant garde runway show. Fashion also loves androgyny and convention-challenging looks ... as long as they're skinny. LOL Fashion is also more global, so it's influenced by more cultures than just American ideas of beauty.

Hollywood, on the other hand, hasn't been so accepting. Hollywood is traditionally about conventional American beauty. That's why it's so refreshing to see Lupita embraced.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
I hate how people get all huffy and puffy over levels of blackness. Halle Berry is BLACK!! Get the eff over it. Stop all trying to dissect and categorize it. Its always the same women who get upset over something stupid like this. "Oh, she's not black enough for me." Please.

Lupita carries herself extremely well. All you Hot-Lanta housewife watching women should take note and try to be more like her instead of those crazy ignant NBA Housewife types.

Halle Berry - Beautiful black role model actress and beauty queen.
Rashida Jones - Beautiful black role model actress and beauty queen.
Maya Rudolph - Beautiful and extremely talented comedienne, actress.
Condi Rice - Highest ranking black woman in the history of U.S. Government. Should be looked up to by all women. THIS is a great role model and, yes, I think a face of not only black beauty, but also of black intelligence.
what the hell are you talkin about

first off i am a black man

and i'm just stating what i see with my 2 eyes

if you actually see something else different than what i stated then thats fine

i am speaking from the point of an observer...i am not the one putting the faces out there

this "level of blackness" thing is not something i ever think about or ponder on but apparently its something you have issues with... like i said i can turn on the tv and see what i stated

Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,715 times
She is a tool for the media and has got her five minutes of fame, time to move on to the next flavor of the month.

I think the media likes her because she looks so ethnic. So African, with her natural short hair and unusual features in comparison to the typical Black Actress and it helps us White People get over our white guilt by being told by the media we should admire her.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
The door has never been closed. I thought she looked beautiful in that Oscars dress. When she gave her speech she became even MORE beautiful. I think American black women should learn from her. She had poise, grace, didn't talk like a stupid Basketball Housewife or "Hot-Lanta Housewife". She is the epitome of elegance, grace, and beauty.

Oh, and she's African Mexican (not African American) for those who wonder about her background.

Excuse me?

There are many African American women who possess the exact same qualities. Do NOT tar us all with the same ghetto brush, please. Lupita seems to be a remarkable woman. But she is not a rare unicorn. I think many would benefit by expanding their horizons. We are not what you see in the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty