Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

I agree we could all lose a few pounds and dress a bit better. I remember the days when guys would wear jackets and ties to dinner etc.. My wife who is European has photos of her Dad from 30 years ago and he wore a tie sailing. Americans are generally slobby and what is it with over weight women wearing clothes that are way too tight with the word "Juicy" on the butt ??
It is a lack of pride that has so many dressing like bums. Of course having a good attitude goes a long way to looking good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 02:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowkitty27 View Post
But some people don't want to "dress up". I like wearing jeans, a tshirt and tennis shoes or sandals, sometimes a maxi dress. Heels are uncomfortable and it's so windy where I live, wearing a shorter dress is asking for trouble. I don't go out to attract others.
So many people think "dressing up" is this huge thing. I went out for coffee over the weekend and the worker was like you are so dressed up! Where are you going? And i was going somewhere (brunch), but my dress is made of stretchy cotton and feels like PJs. And a cardigan. So it might have looked like I was making a "huge" effort. But reality is that it was no more complicated than putting on jeans and a t-shirt. In fact it was less complicated.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowkitty27 View Post
But some people don't want to "dress up". I like wearing jeans, a tshirt and tennis shoes or sandals, sometimes a maxi dress. Heels are uncomfortable and it's so windy where I live, wearing a shorter dress is asking for trouble. I don't go out to attract others.
Sounds perfectly fine!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM

241 posts, read 360,106 times
I think people are misinterpreting what I am trying to say here. This isn't a diss at Americans at all, Western anglo countries as a whole could learn some grooming tips. I am not saying you should spend all your energy on your appearance or dress up like your going to the club every time you go out. All I am saying is eating healthy, grooming, and styling yourself nicely can go a long way. I used the 50s/60s as an example because I remember going through a relatives pics of when she was young and I was struck at how pretty and healthy everyone look. No one was supermodel beautiful but they all looked well groomed, and put together. I am sorry if I come across as condescending, I definitely know what its like to be drowned by work and the struggles of being overweight. Please don't take this thread as diss but more as an encouragement, because when you look good you FEEL good. Trust me on that.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:04 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
I think people are misinterpreting what I am trying to say here. This isn't a diss at Americans at all, Western anglo countries as a whole could learn some grooming tips. I am not saying you should spend all your energy on your appearance or dress up like your going to the club every time you go out. All I am saying is eating healthy, grooming, and styling yourself nicely can go a long way. I used the 50s/60s as an example because I remember going through a relatives pics of when she was young and I was struck at how pretty and healthy everyone look. No one was supermodel beautiful but they all looked well groomed, and put together. I am sorry if I come across as condescending, I definitely know what its like to be drowned by work and the struggles of being overweight. Please don't take this thread as diss but more as an encouragement, because when you look good you FEEL good. Trust me on that.
I think the folks who don't feel like putting in effort are viewing this as an extreme (as in they should spend all time and energy dressing up) in order to justify the lack of effort on their part

I had a guy friend who fell in love with France when he went to visit. He said the women were typically thin, well dressed albeit a lot of them smoked(where he visited at least).

Some of the posters are really thinking in extremes.

And since this post is likely offensive to them, they're overreacting quite a bit

Old 06-17-2014, 03:12 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
I'm not really a fan of makeup. Almost any woman can look sexy with makeup, known fact. Take the makeup away and there is a different story. I like my woman to be naturally beauties.

Yes, there are plenty of people that simply do not care. They have their reasons though, maybe they are married, so they have no need to look good. Single people that want to go dating will generally take care of themselves, people that don't want to date or want to remain single could probably care less.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So us unattractive Americans need better accessories...

yeah.
Yes, spend more money on junk we don't need so other people will think we're attractive???

Um, why do I want to spend my money on adornments so others think I'm attractive? Shouldn't I be spending it on things I want?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Europe and Brazil don't have the same genetics.............and what if you're not of European stock?

I guess the unfortunates among us are just consigned to an ugly existence.
What I meant by similar genetics that many Americans share the same genetics as Europeans and Brazilians. Thus dismissing any claim that Americans are naturally less attractive then their South american or European counterparts. The USA is a melting pot, there is little bit of everything here.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
...This isn't a diss at Americans at all, Western anglo countries as a whole could learn some grooming tips...
Oh, okay - it's ALL "Western countries" that need to look like those fashionable Europeans and Brazilians . Now the topic has moved from poor fashion to poor grooming. I don't know why we socially unacceptable Westerners even leave our homes.

BTW - which countries are those "Western anglo countries" - any of them in Europe (must be the ugly part of Europe).

Old 06-17-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm not really a fan of makeup. Almost any woman can look sexy with makeup, known fact. Take the makeup away and there is a different story. I like my woman to be naturally beauties.

Yes, there are plenty of people that simply do not care. They have their reasons though, maybe they are married, so they have no need to look good. Single people that want to go dating will generally take care of themselves, people that don't want to date or want to remain single could probably care less.
I definitely agree with you on makeup. I think too many young women over due it on the makeup and rely on it to cover up their flaws. I told my sister who has suffered from acne all her life to cool it on the makeup and let her face breathe. The only thing she put on her face for months was skin regiment which helped nourish her face. Within six months her face cleared and never looked better! Makeup is wonderful because it helps emphasis feminine features on a women's face but a women should never be ashamed of her natural beauty and nourish it daily.
As for your second point, I am not encouraging people to put in little more effort solely for the opposite sex. I take care of myself by eating right, grooming myself, and exercising daily for no one but MYSELF. Attracting members of the opposite sex are the last thing on my mind when I partake in these activities. My wellbeing and making sure I live a long and happy LIFE is. You don't truly love the person your marrying of you only try to look sexy just so he'll marry you, how lame is that? If my boyfriend and I ever get married I will continue to maintain my grooming routine because one I am doing for MYSELF, not so I can trap him into marrying me. How lame do you have to be to do that?

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-17-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty