Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:22 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,105,895 times

Advertisements

With the peeling, I think she was just over using it. She didn't wear make up when she peeled because she thought it would have looked worse.
You will peel when you use it but don't use more than what your doctor tells you to use.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 06:46 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,830,029 times
The samples should last a long time as you only need a pea sized amount for each application, so I would hold off on filling the prescription(it is expensive!). The peeling isn't too bad and doesn't last that long at all. If you wait about 10-15 minutes after you wash your face to apply(when skin is completely dry), it should help reduce irritation.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times
Does the retin-A get rid of slight acne scars (slight pitting) Most people say they can't see it but it is driving me nuts as I only got them a few years ago...so...

Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Does the retin-A get rid of slight acne scars (slight pitting) Most people say they can't see it but it is driving me nuts as I only got them a few years ago...so...

I don't think it will get rid of it completely. It does take the top layer of your skin off, so over time it will fade.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times
I think this may be a dumb question so I apologize in advance But is retin-A available by prescription only still or can it be purchased now over the counter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
I don't think it will get rid of it completely. It does take the top layer of your skin off, so over time it will fade.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
Prescription only for Retin-A.

I think a tube costs around $90 if I remember correctly-but it lasts awhile

Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times
Some people have purchased it online. I found a website that sold it. I will never buy it online- I'd rather get it by prescrip or directly from my dermatologist. If you buy it online and something goes horribly wrong- who do you think will help you? I can't take a chance with something like that.

Does anyone know the main differences between the new Retin A micro and the orig. Retin A? I'm on micro and since my first post, I'm already experiencing some slight peeling. According to my derm, this is normal (even at this stage). I'm loving the results so far. My skin feels pretty smooth (I cheated- I used it on my neck and decolletage :-) ) But anyway, the price diff. seems huge. According to the previous post, retin a is around $90 but the micro was $150.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
I think this may be a dumb question so I apologize in advance But is retin-A available by prescription only still or can it be purchased now over the counter?

You will have to get a prescription by your doctor.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,937 times
Default Retin A Strength

May I ask what strength of retin a and retin a micro you ladies use for fine lines/wrinkles?

I read that there is .01 and .04 for retin a micro

and .05 and .1 for retin a

Thank you!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 PM

11 posts, read 40,286 times
[quote=hc7612;2902816]If you buy Retin-A from your Dematologist they have varying levels of strength. The one I bought from mine actual was to mild. But a product that I swear by is Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle/Anti-Blemish. It's main active ingredient is Retinal. Great stuff! Also, much cheaper than what you get from the Derm. plus no peeling. /quote]

Just to be clear here: retinol (a derivative of Vitamin A) is a chemical that is used in the treatment of acne in dosages of .05% max. In Canada, you can't buy any product with retinol over the counter. It works by greatly accelerating the exfoliation of the top layers of skin. Peeling/redness is not an unusual a side effect. I would imagine that the dermatologist (being a doctor) is able to sell products with retinol (which retin A may be). Neutrogena won't have retinol, so it's active ingredient "retinal" is probably a form of Vitamin A, but not the form known as retinol.

If you go the route of a retinol product, make sure you use sunscreen vigantly. Peeled skin is much more sensitive to UV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty