Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,327 times

Advertisements

I've been using Retin-a & a retinaldehyde product called Avene Retrinal the last 3 months & think it makes a big difference. Still using my Tua Viso a year later-- on a good day with regular use it takes up to 10 years off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 8,222 times
I get retin-a by prescription for $5 a tube lasts for about 4 months and use the cheapest nivea face cream. I been using it for years now. I will be 49 in a couple months and have no wrinkles. I was asked the other day if my 2 year old niece was my daughter! I would never buy any of those creams that they advertise on tv they can't work as well as retin-a. They are a waste of money even if you don't have insurance coverage it would be better to pay full price for retin-a because it actually works.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:06 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post

Use hormone replacement therapy after your 40s to look and feel your best. Irregardless of what the Women's Health Initiative reported about estrogen, it is still one of the best ways to keep your skin young; lots of women are using it. Without estrogen skin can't make as much collagen and breaks down. I started using the Pill in my 30s and have gone off it recently. I look and feel OK but will eventually go back on some kind of HRT eventually.
Effects of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) on Aging Skin
Well, i WONT be taking HRT so my skin will look better - i can guarantee you that.

I value the rest of my health much higher than my skin LOOKING good.

I do take care of it and use the creams and lotions, but i'm not one for taking pills for something like that - especially HRT.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:18 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
You know what helps the most?

Good genes.

Can't beat genetics...

lucky ducks

Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
absolutely agree. i have used Retin A for over 15 years. insurance covers it. i also highly recommend regular at home glycolic peels, they can be bought on Amazon for $15 for a good sized bottle. also, regular use of Retin A will significantly decrease incidence of skin cancer. my dermatologist said that with all my past sun exposure, the only reason i dont have skin cancer is probably because of Retin A use.

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots88 View Post
I get retin-a by prescription for $5 a tube lasts for about 4 months and use the cheapest nivea face cream. I been using it for years now. I will be 49 in a couple months and have no wrinkles. I was asked the other day if my 2 year old niece was my daughter! I would never buy any of those creams that they advertise on tv they can't work as well as retin-a. They are a waste of money even if you don't have insurance coverage it would be better to pay full price for retin-a because it actually works.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:35 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,522,974 times
The HRT is really not a good recommendation for everyone just for the sake of wrinkles! I mean if you have a history of cancers in your family especially breast or women type issues I would highly not go there. This is really not good advise to throw out just to look younger. I have done some stupid things for the sake of bodybuilding with no damage but its risky! I guess in order to go on HRT you must talk to your doctor but now these HRT clinics and anti aging clinics will find any reason to pump you up with basically legal steriods, hgh and beauty/vanity treatments! Its kind of sick.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
absolutely agree. i have used Retin A for over 15 years. insurance covers it. i also highly recommend regular at home glycolic peels, they can be bought on Amazon for $15 for a good sized bottle. also, regular use of Retin A will significantly decrease incidence of skin cancer. my dermatologist said that with all my past sun exposure, the only reason i dont have skin cancer is probably because of Retin A use.

(
How do you get a prescription for Retin A? Just go to your dr. and ask? Or go to a dermatologist?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
from ANYONE with prescriptive authority, whether it be a Nurse Practitioner, MD, DO....

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
How do you get a prescription for Retin A? Just go to your dr. and ask? Or go to a dermatologist?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 8,222 times
Yep just ask your doctor. And no you dont have make a reason, just say for wrinkles. Everyone should be using it. Lol.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:35 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
Actually, most insurance companies will not cover it unless you have a medical reason for using it. If you say it is for "cosmetic reasons", it is not medically necessary.

That's pretty reasonable, don't you think? This is health insurance we're talking about.

If you have acne, rosacea, scars etc... things like this will be considered reasonable medical reasons for using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty