Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,197 times

Advertisements

It's formal as in big church wedding, lots of attendants, formal dresses on attendants, etc. My husband will be in the wedding party as FoB, giving her away, and my little boy (bride's half brother) is the ring-bearer, so he'll be in a tux as long as we can get him in it!

I know that no one will care what I wear, but I'll be in the family wedding pictures so I want to look nice and appropriate. What do you suggest? Links to examples are welcome .

btw....Not sure what her colors are going to be, but she's leaning strongly toward lavender if they can find bridesmaid dresses they like in that color.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 AM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I would find out what the mothers of the bride and groom are wearing - style AND colors - and dress based on that information.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would find out what the mothers of the bride and groom are wearing - style AND colors - and dress based on that information.
Right, I plan to do that. I know I shouldn't wear same color as mom of bride or groom.

Some moms of bride/groom go formal and wear a long gown. Even if they do, I don't plan to. Shouldn't I be a notch down from their level of "dressiness", whatever that is? That's what I was thinking.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Semi-formal, knee-length dress.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:42 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,482,937 times
The ceremony is at 3:30pm, so I'm guessing the reception will probably be 4:30-10pm or 5-10pm. Therefore, since it a formal, evening wedding, you need to focus on formal clothing, like knee-length dressy cocktail dresses or elegant, flowy evening pantsuits.

Like another poster said, find out what colors the mother of the bride is wearing and choose a color that will harmonize with hers so that the wedding pictures look nice.

Here are some ideas:

Tahari Embroidered Lace Sheath Dress with Illusion Neckline | Nordstrom

Eliza J Embellished Crushed Taffeta Sheath Dress | Nordstrom

Chiara Boni La Petite Robe 'Stellina' Peplum Jersey Sheath Dress | Nordstrom

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...3D231%26pn%3D1

Last edited by Sage 80; 01-12-2016 at 04:55 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 12:08 AM

422 posts, read 335,998 times
At the very least, a fancy cocktail, knee length dress in a neutral color....and any other color than the other mothers dresses. now, unless it calls for black or white tie.....then a long dress would be appropriate, but that usually is not the norm these days!

Old 01-13-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
The ceremony is at 3:30pm, so I'm guessing the reception will probably be 4:30-10pm or 5-10pm. Therefore, since it a formal, evening wedding, you need to focus on formal clothing, like knee-length dressy cocktail dresses or elegant, flowy evening pantsuits.

Like another poster said, find out what colors the mother of the bride is wearing and choose a color that will harmonize with hers so that the wedding pictures look nice.

Here are some ideas:

Tahari Embroidered Lace Sheath Dress with Illusion Neckline | Nordstrom

Eliza J Embellished Crushed Taffeta Sheath Dress | Nordstrom

Chiara Boni La Petite Robe 'Stellina' Peplum Jersey Sheath Dress | Nordstrom

Thank you & thanks for the examples! The first one is my favorite

Old 01-13-2016, 07:12 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,627 times
Go neutral, and tailored rather than slinky -- even if you have a figure that 'could' go slinky.

It's not just about what looks good on you, but it establishes a social role, that of the senior generation to the new couple. Tailored, neutral, respectable and responsible.

If the couple and their attendants are going with lavender, you could consider a darker shade of the same color, such as eggplant.

I would avoid any costume jewelry, but proudly wear precious metal and -stone heritage and heirloom pieces.

Always bear in mind that you are the backdrop, the sturdy and responsible (if elegant) person behind the scenes. You should be noticeable only at second glance at this performance, but that second glance should draw the eye to your high quality tailoring and your confident willingness to present yourself as the 'quiet' member of the production by choosing 'sedate' over 'flashy'.

Always make sure that you are comfortable in the dress by wearing it out and about a few times, such as to a luncheon date or out shopping, before the big event so that you will instinctively know how the dress fits and settles when you sit down, things like that. Then if it needs let out or taken in, you will have time to get it altered well before the wedding!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
It's not just about what looks good on you, but it establishes a social role, that of the senior generation to the new couple. Tailored, neutral, respectable and responsible.

Well, I'm barely in my "mid" 40's, but I know what you're saying .

I don't want to draw attention to myself, but do exactly what you said....look elegant, and appropriate. But I don't want to look "frumpy".

I found out the colors are dark purple & silver. I won't wear sliver or pale gray because that doesn't look good with my complexion at all. Purple/plum/auburgine are definitely good colors for me. I'll try to find something that isn't the same shade as the bridesmaids or moms.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:56 AM

Here are a few that I like. What do you think?

Aidan Mattox Soutache Mesh Sheath Dress | Nordstrom

Adrianna Papell Ruched Lace Sheath Dress (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom

this one comes in a lot of color choices:
Tadashi Shoji Embroidered Lace Sheath Dress (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom

Adrianna Papell Metallic Lace Sheath Dress | Nordstrom

really like this one. wish it came in something other than black/nude
Karen Kane Scalloped Lace V-Neck Dress | Nordstrom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty