Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:14 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times

Advertisements

Here is the dress I wore. It is no longer available so I hope my old link works.
Jessica Howard Embroidered Gown | Dillards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 11:17 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Lace over a flesh-colored lining, as in the dress you like the most, is too sexy.

Lace over a same-color lining would work.
Agreed.

And I'd say linen, or cotton-type flat, starched, matte, 'puritan' lace: Yes

Nylon, 'stretchy', 'krinkly', 'sparkly', synthetic or silky lace: No.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,487,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
FTR, contrary to what someone said upthread, it's an afternoon wedding with no dinner, NOT an evening wedding.
Where are you getting it from that there's no dinner. I don't see that the OP posted anything about that. Most receptions are after the ceremony and last 5 hrs, based on the amount of time most reception hall allot per booking. That's why I thought that the reception was going on till 10pm-ish.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:21 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Where are you getting it from that there's no dinner. I don't see that the OP posted anything about that. Most receptions are after the ceremony and last 5 hrs, based on the amount of time most reception hall allot per booking. That's why I thought that the reception was going on till 10pm-ish.

I posted the question on the Wedding forum also, and I think that's where I gave reception details.

It's in a ballroom of one of the nicer hotels here in town. Heavy hors d'oeurves (not a plated dinner), and cake, etc. But.....come to think of it, she really should do a sit-down meal because the reception is going to be smack-dab in the middle of dinner time. Ceremony at 3:30, which should be over by 4:00 (not a Catholic mass or anything), and they only have the church for 1 hour after ceremony so they're doing most pictures before and just the ones with bride & groom together afterward. So they should arrive at the reception around 5:00-ish, so yes it will probably go until 10:00 or so. Hope she's serving dinner! or very heavy snacks at least.

I digress.....
it's a typical hotel ballroom reception with a DJ, and it will begin around 5:00.

At one point she was planning an earlier ceremony, like 2:00, and in that case heavy hors d'oeurves would be fine. And I don't know if she's changed the food plans since the time got pushed back.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:27 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,487,297 times
Since you have to take care of your son, and may have a lot of bending to do, have you considered the practicality of a pant suit? You wouldn't have to be worried about looking inappropriate, and you'd still look fantastic.

Cameron Blake 111673 Formal Pant Set with Skirt - French Novelty

Misty Lane 13538 by Ben Marc Mothers Wedding Pant Suit - French Novelty

Old 01-13-2016, 12:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
It's formal as in big church wedding, lots of attendants, formal dresses on attendants, etc. My husband will be in the wedding party as FoB, giving her away, and my little boy (bride's half brother) is the ring-bearer, so he'll be in a tux as long as we can get him in it!

I know that no one will care what I wear, but I'll be in the family wedding pictures so I want to look nice and appropriate. What do you suggest? Links to examples are welcome .

btw....Not sure what her colors are going to be, but she's leaning strongly toward lavender if they can find bridesmaid dresses they like in that color.
Okay, so I'm surmising that you are mid 40s and petite?

Find out what length the MOB and MOG are wearing. If they are wearing floor lenght, follow suit.

The pantsuits are WAY too old for you.

Love this for floor length for winter:

Embellished*Floor-Length*Gown**from*JENNY*PACKHAM | Luxury fashion online | STYLEBOP.com

Like this one for Spring:

Prom Dresses, Celebrity Dresses, Sexy Evening Gowns: MB-6924

Old 01-13-2016, 01:02 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
I always like tea length for late afternoon weddings.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:08 PM

[quote=blueherons;42621333]Okay, so I'm surmising that you are mid 40s and petite?

Bingo! LOL. I'm 5'3". I have a short neck and big boobs. I don't want to show cleavage, but something with a scoop neck or V-neck is best as long as it isn't too low. If I wear something fitted and high around my neck, it almost looks as bad as showing too much cleavage. (think of a big busted gal in a fitted turtleneck )

yeah, the pantsuits might be practical, but I'm not quite ready for that! Ditto on the "dress with jacket" or suit thing that MoB's have been wearing for quite some time.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Okay, so I'm surmising that you are mid 40s and petite?

Find out what length the MOB and MOG are wearing. If they are wearing floor lenght, follow suit.

The pantsuits are WAY too old for you.

Love this for floor length for winter:

Embellished*Floor-Length*Gown**from*JENNY*PACKHAM | Luxury fashion online | STYLEBOP.com

Like this one for Spring:

Prom Dresses, Celebrity Dresses, Sexy Evening Gowns: MB-6924

Thanks for those examples! I guess I don't need to worry about it until I find out what the moms are wearing. And then there's my MIL (grandmother of bride). She's 81, but you'd never know it, and is very spry and fashionable. I'll find out what her thoughts are as well.

Speaking of grandma's....I know they will be seated after all the other guests and before wedding party. My husband says he does NOT want to sit on front pew by his ex, even though that's customary. He wants to sit on the row behind her with me and his parents. I guess the wedding coordinator will tell us what to do.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Afternoon weddings are considered less formal...a cocktail dress with perhaps a light jacket would be great for the wedding and then remove the jacket to show a bit more skin for the reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty