Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times

Advertisements

Those sheath dresses are lovely. Just keep in mind that there will be a lot of sitting and subsequent creases across your front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 10:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
IMHO, the lace is a tad bit sexy for stepmom of the bride.

You also will need to address whether your legs will be bare, since you will be in a LOT of photos.

FTR, contrary to what someone said upthread, it's an afternoon wedding with no dinner, NOT an evening wedding.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:11 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,303,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Those sheath dresses are lovely. Just keep in mind that there will be a lot of sitting and subsequent creases across your front.

True. I will try to find one that is somewhat "stretchy".

I have a Karen Kane dress that has been my go-to event dress for the past couple years. I bought it when I was pregnant with my son to wear to my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary party. It's a nude/champagne color with black lace overlay, and the sleeves are 3/4 length. The whole thing is stretchy, but very elegant! You can't tell it's stretchy just looking at it. It was perfect since I was about 4.5 months pregnant the first time I wore it, and I've worn it to several events since then. I've worn it so many times, I'm sure everyone is sick of seeing it by now, but it has been one of the best dresses I've ever had. If I found one just like it in another color, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
OP, my step-daughter got married last summer, and I'll tell you, I never fretted so much over choosing a dress in my life. Obviously I wanted to look great (I'm the new wife, after all, and all of ex-wife's family will be there), but I didn't want it to look like I was trying to look great, KWIM? . And certainly nothing that anyone think I was trying to look sexy!!

I knew the MOB and MOG were wearing floor-length dresses, and like you, I assumed I should be a step down from that. However, when I asked step-daughter, she preferred that I also wear floor-length. So be sure to get her input.

I agree with the others who said the lace may be not quite right. I'd go for simple but elegant, classic, timeless, nothing that shows cleavage or side slit that shows a lot of leg. Classy but not frumpy. I'll see if I can post some examples later.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
OP, my step-daughter got married last summer, and I'll tell you, I never fretted so much over choosing a dress in my life. Obviously I wanted to look great (I'm the new wife, after all, and all of ex-wife's family will be there), but I didn't want it to look like I was trying to look great, KWIM? . And certainly nothing that anyone think I was trying to look sexy!!

I knew the MOB and MOG were wearing floor-length dresses, and like you, I assumed I should be a step down from that. However, when I asked step-daughter, she preferred that I also wear floor-length. So be sure to get her input.

I agree with the others who said the lace may be not quite right. I'd go for simple but elegant, classic, timeless, nothing that shows cleavage or side slit that shows a lot of leg. Classy but not frumpy. I'll see if I can post some examples later.
I know exactly what you mean!!!!!

Do you have a picture of the dress you chose??

Interesting that a couple of you think the lace is a bit much. I don't think of it as overly sexy as long as it isn't too bare or short or low-cut. I guess I just like dresses that have a bit of texture, rather plain jersey or whatever that shows every line & roll.

Another thing to consider is I'll be dealing with our 3-yr old son at this event (he is the ring-bearer....if he cooperates). So I need something I can move in & that won't show my a$$ or boobs when I bend over! LOL. Oh, and still look elegant.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:55 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Interesting that a couple of you think the lace is a bit much. I don't think of it as overly sexy as long as it isn't too bare or short or low-cut. I guess I just like dresses that have a bit of texture, rather plain jersey or whatever that shows every line & roll.
Lace over a flesh-colored lining, as in the dress you like the most, is too sexy.

Lace over a same-color lining would work. The second example, ruched light blue, would work.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post

Interesting that a couple of you think the lace is a bit much. I don't think of it as overly sexy as long as it isn't too bare or short or low-cut.
It is NOT that lace is a bit much.
It is that black lace, over a nude lining, is too sexy for a wedding. The intended illusion is that you are wearing nothing underneath...

Old 01-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Lace over a flesh-colored lining, as in the dress you like the most, is too sexy.

Lace over a same-color lining would work. The second example, ruched light blue, would work.
OK, good . Thanks.

If you go to practically any store's website and filter on mom of bride/groom, at least half of them are some sort of lace or lace overlay, so I would be ruling out a lot of dresses if that were a no-no!

Old 01-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It is NOT that lace is a bit much.
It is that black lace, over a nude lining, is too sexy for a wedding. The intended illusion is that you are wearing nothing underneath...
I would never wear black over nude to a wedding, or black period to a wedding. So, that's not an issue.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:09 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Ok, these all happen to be long dresses, but I wanted to show you what some of my favorite necklines are, when I want a classy, timeless look:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/b...%26slotId%3D15

Sleeveless Long Dress with Beaded Draped Cowl Neck - Davids Bridal

Long Chiffon Dress with Beaded Illusion Bodice - Davids Bridal

Edited to add: I agree with the last several posts about lace. It's not that any lace should be avoided, but the black over nude, or the blue one with stripes, IMO, just weren't right. An elegant, non-sexy lace is beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty