Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:25 AM

221 posts, read 317,989 times

Advertisements

To the ladies-

Assuming you are just doing something typical like going for drinks, coffee, or to a casual restaurant, what do you typically wear on a first date? Does your choice change if it is an online date and you have never met before versus going on a first date with someone you already know/have met? I always know I want to make a good first impression, especially for an online date, and I never quite know what to wear.

To the guys-

What do you like to see your first date wear? Again, this is assuming a casual date to a bar, restaurant, coffee shop, brewery, pub, etc. Does what she wear affect what you think of her/do you even notice or care?

Going on a first date tonight to a local brewery. It's an online date. It's been awhile since I've been on one. I'm kinda stuck on what to wear :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:30 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
This seems like over-thinking. Something so casual shouldn't take much thought, as long as it isn't old jeans, or something.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This seems like over-thinking. Something so casual shouldn't take much thought, as long as it isn't old jeans, or something.

Definitely overthinking, but nothing wrong with old jeans either. My (second) date last night was wearing old jeans and they were splendid looking on her.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:43 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Wear what you normally wear, with a little extra focus on things like "matching", "cleanliness", and "fit". Your date might appreciate if you "dress up", but your cons of your discomfort will outweigh the pros of impression.

For me, this means a suit or dress shirt/vest/tie/slacks. But that's because I love those clothes and I wear them all the time. If it means jeans and a polo or something for you, then just make sure they fit, are clean, and match.

"You", of course, being gender-neutral in this case. Since OP is female, her level of comfort probably isn't "jeans and a polo" (though it certainly could be, lol)

Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 AM

And I'm realizing that I'm in a habit of answering the thread, but not really answering the OP.

For me in particular, whether casual or not, I love to see my date dress up. 1) I value fashion. 2) It shows the date either put some effort into meeting me, or is already in the habit of dressing nicely.

Dress + heels (and being comfortable in them) > Dress + heels (and being uncomfortable in them) > jeans and a revealing top > everything else > yoga pants/leggings and flip flops/uggs

Most of the guys in my circle don't really care. I'm only answering for myself. I most definitely notice and care, but I wouldn't say "most" guys do.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,372 times
One gal wore a sundress and cowboy boots. So hot. Hands down, no contest.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:55 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
If it was coffee I would wear a sun dress or shorts and top.

Cocktails at someplace not upscale? Jeans, heels, tank top and some statement jewelry.

On my first date with my husband we met at a Mexican restaurant and I wore a blue sundress and sandals. He still remembers the dress.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-15-2016, 08:59 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
I agree with the others that it's over thinking.

Casual outfits are the way to go.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,400 times
If I'm going for drinks or dinner (which is usually what I do), I wear a pair of jeans and heels with a nice blouse. Nothing too fancy, or too casual.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If it was coffee I would wear a sun dress or shorts and top.

Cocktails at someplace not upscale? Jeans, heels, tank top and some statement jewelry.
This is pretty standard, if OP is looking for something safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty