Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 11:16 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Of course. Makes total sense. But then it is YOUR fault, because you gain weight.
Well, it's hella difficult to avoid that as you age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 11:45 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummmm... you told the entire internet.
And apparently you needed to tell someone or else you would not have started this thread.
He obviously doesn't want to tell anybody in real life.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:54 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, it's hella difficult to avoid that as you age.
Well, if you are aging and pass a certain age where your whole body starts sagging and wrinkling, you probably won't care about that particular area that much anymore either.

So far, OP seems to be far away from gaining weight through age. He is 20 years old.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:42 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
Well OP, I guess the anonymity of the internet allows you to express your experience in ways that would be awkward or socially unacceptable in real life. Hope you're happy with the new (healed) you, and you can now live your life with 'no ragrets'.

In regards to the long-term sustainability of your lipo to alter your appearance: Whether you are an Ectomorph, Mesomorph, or Endomorph that's where your body wants to be due to genetics, diet, exercise and other lifestyle factors you will always have to fight the trend. Women I have known/dated... I can say after 7-10 years she floated back to where she was pre-lipo - but had a good run as the smaller dress size. Males with unwanted love handles or gynecomastia / bellyfat / moobs are also getting these kinds of treatments these days. The shame and judgment from others is just part of life.

Just note the need for portion-control and exercise... are not obviated by cosmetic surgury.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:23 AM

307 posts, read 672,972 times
How much did you pay for the surgery?

Old 07-11-2016, 07:15 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
If you had that much trouble with esteem from that "problem," I dread the future for you! Just wait until age, your genes, and life intervenes! You think it is bad now?!

You will either spend hundreds of thousands on surgery or become a hermit. You would have been better off "wasting" your energy and money on a good therapist. That therapist Would have worked on your self acceptance. But that hard work would involve acquiring the tools needed that will help you to put more stock in what you bring to the table from within not without. Sadly, many don't care that much about that.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 PM

166 posts, read 482,947 times
I had liposuction on my chin and my upper arms for my 40th birthday gift to myself. My self esteem was strong when I did it, but these two areas bothered me. I did it for me and I am happy that I did.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:29 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposito View Post
I had liposuction in 2013 and never told anyone. I paid it in cash from savings and never looked back. It's been years, and still no one knows. Surprisingly, I found out last year that my surgeon passed away, so you could my secret is safe. I only had two spots done that I couldn't get rid of because of genetics and it made me depressed for years... it was the love handles and abdomen. I know there are better ways at improving your self-esteem, but at the time, it made sense to me as a 20 year old. I don't regret it though. I can honestly say that it made me into a different person. The procedure certainly didn't make me confident overnight, but it certainly helped as a first step sort of thing. I was always self-conscious, especially about my prominent love handles on a skinny frame. I tried everything to get rid of them, and they would never go away no matter how skinny I got.

I don't know if it makes me a bad person. I know I'm being narcissistic and you can argue that this "confidence" is arrogance and vanity rolled into one, but until I see it that way, I don't feel that way. but I honestly don't think I would've had the confidence to approach the people that I have, meet the people that I have, or even *do* any of the things that I've always wanted to do without the procedure. It sounds like an exaggeration, and I guess it is, but I'm not joking when I say that I used to bail on going out with friends to the beach or skipping out on social events and concerts that I really wanted to go to b/c I felt too hideous.

Of course, I could've went a different path to self-esteem, but it's already been done and today is the first time that I'm revealing my "secret." No one knows. Just the doctor and nurses from the clinic... Not even my girlfriend or parents know... I know the stigma and the **** that I will get. I know the stigma on non-medical plastic surgery... Yet it changed me... It made me *want* to go out... Not to show off my new body, but I felt that I could finally talk to someone naturally without constantly thinking, "Omg I'm too fat; they're looking at that bloated area right now." I'm paranoid. It also gave me one less thing to be anxious about. On a daily basis, I worry about school, chores, social responsibilities, athletic training, and volunteering. I used to worry about how I looked too, and it was a major factor in my stress and depression... Now I don't. It's like I have a new lease on life... I know it sounds crazy, narcissistic, and arrogant, but I'm not denying it either. I don't know if it's any justification, but no one was hurt b/c of my procedure, and no one became a victim of anything... I don't know...

I've told literally no one... I don't feel that I ever will... Maybe when I'm very old, but I can't predict the future. The procedure changed my life so much...

The only thing I want to say is:

Congrats for being so courageous!
And well done! I bet you look great.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:31 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
OP. I hope you are able to let go of your shame over this. You did nothing wrong.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You could handle this because you're a guy? Get back to me when you give birth to something (someone) the size of a large melon--without drugs. Not much seems to hurt after that. Sorry for the rant.

Yes, you can get an infection from medical procedures. It's never happened to me, but it does happen.

Why are you telling the world now?
Telling the world? More like a minuscule amount of people who read OP's thread. And it's not like he's telling anyone in person, face-to-face. It's basically an anonymous post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty