Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM

25 posts, read 56,483 times

Advertisements

I had liposuction in 2013 and never told anyone. I paid it in cash from savings and never looked back. It's been years, and still no one knows. Surprisingly, I found out last year that my surgeon passed away, so you could my secret is safe. I only had two spots done that I couldn't get rid of because of genetics and it made me depressed for years... it was the love handles and abdomen. I know there are better ways at improving your self-esteem, but at the time, it made sense to me as a 20 year old. I don't regret it though. I can honestly say that it made me into a different person. The procedure certainly didn't make me confident overnight, but it certainly helped as a first step sort of thing. I was always self-conscious, especially about my prominent love handles on a skinny frame. I tried everything to get rid of them, and they would never go away no matter how skinny I got.

I don't know if it makes me a bad person. I know I'm being narcissistic and you can argue that this "confidence" is arrogance and vanity rolled into one, but until I see it that way, I don't feel that way. but I honestly don't think I would've had the confidence to approach the people that I have, meet the people that I have, or even *do* any of the things that I've always wanted to do without the procedure. It sounds like an exaggeration, and I guess it is, but I'm not joking when I say that I used to bail on going out with friends to the beach or skipping out on social events and concerts that I really wanted to go to b/c I felt too hideous.

Of course, I could've went a different path to self-esteem, but it's already been done and today is the first time that I'm revealing my "secret." No one knows. Just the doctor and nurses from the clinic... Not even my girlfriend or parents know... I know the stigma and the **** that I will get. I know the stigma on non-medical plastic surgery... Yet it changed me... It made me *want* to go out... Not to show off my new body, but I felt that I could finally talk to someone naturally without constantly thinking, "Omg I'm too fat; they're looking at that bloated area right now." I'm paranoid. It also gave me one less thing to be anxious about. On a daily basis, I worry about school, chores, social responsibilities, athletic training, and volunteering. I used to worry about how I looked too, and it was a major factor in my stress and depression... Now I don't. It's like I have a new lease on life... I know it sounds crazy, narcissistic, and arrogant, but I'm not denying it either. I don't know if it's any justification, but no one was hurt b/c of my procedure, and no one became a victim of anything... I don't know...

I've told literally no one... I don't feel that I ever will... Maybe when I'm very old, but I can't predict the future. The procedure changed my life so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposito View Post

I've told literally no one... I don't feel that I ever will...
Ummmm... you told the entire internet.
And apparently you needed to tell someone or else you would not have started this thread.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:26 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Lightbulb Your body ... your business ..

Quote:
I had liposuction in 2013 and never told anyone. I paid it in cash from savings and never looked back. It's been years, and still no one knows. Surprisingly, I found out last year that my surgeon passed away, so you could my secret is safe. I only had two spots done that I couldn't get rid of because of genetics and it made me depressed for years... it was the love handles and abdomen. I know there are better ways at improving your self-esteem, but at the time, it made sense to me as a 20 year old. I don't regret it though. I can honestly say that it made me into a different person. The procedure certainly didn't make me confident overnight, but it certainly helped as a first step sort of thing. I was always self-conscious, especially about my prominent love handles on a skinny frame. I tried everything to get rid of them, and they would never go away no matter how skinny I got.

I don't know if it makes me a bad person. I know I'm being narcissistic and you can argue that this "confidence" is arrogance and vanity rolled into one, but until I see it that way, I don't feel that way. but I honestly don't think I would've had the confidence to approach the people that I have, meet the people that I have, or even *do* any of the things that I've always wanted to do without the procedure. It sounds like an exaggeration, and I guess it is, but I'm not joking when I say that I used to bail on going out with friends to the beach or skipping out on social events and concerts that I really wanted to go to b/c I felt too hideous.

Of course, I could've went a different path to self-esteem, but it's already been done and today is the first time that I'm revealing my "secret." No one knows. Just the doctor and nurses from the clinic... Not even my girlfriend or parents know... I know the stigma and the **** that I will get. I know the stigma on non-medical plastic surgery... Yet it changed me... It made me *want* to go out... Not to show off my new body, but I felt that I could finally talk to someone naturally without constantly thinking, "Omg I'm too fat; they're looking at that bloated area right now." I'm paranoid. It also gave me one less thing to be anxious about. On a daily basis, I worry about school, chores, social responsibilities, athletic training, and volunteering. I used to worry about how I looked too, and it was a major factor in my stress and depression... Now I don't. It's like I have a new lease on life... I know it sounds crazy, narcissistic, and arrogant, but I'm not denying it either. I don't know if it's any justification, but no one was hurt b/c of my procedure, and no one became a victim of anything... I don't know...

I've told literally no one... I don't feel that I ever will... Maybe when I'm very old, but I can't predict the future. The procedure changed my life so much...
I have never had liposuction, but I am totally curious how long it took to heal? Is there any scares? How much did they take out? I don't know what you are shy about it? Cosmetic surgery is not that uncommon. It must be your age? In my 20s I did not care as I assumed the doctors new what the heck he was doing. Now I a lot less trusting (I watched Botched ) and if famous/ super rich people can die getting this stuff the micky mouse person that I would be able to afford might totally mess up) . If I was not scared of dying or someone totally messing it up I would strongly consider getting it done. I got a breast reduction done when I was around 20 as I was really self conscious about it and did not regret it. As far as I am concerned it is your body and your choice. However, I don't think having surgery is the only answer to self esteem issues.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:39 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
It's great you found something that helped you feel more content with yourself. It's kind of fun to keep a harmless little secret like that from your family and friends.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 PM

25 posts, read 56,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I have never had liposuction, but I am totally curious how long it took to heal? Is there any scares? How much did they take out? I don't know what you are shy about it? Cosmetic surgery is not that uncommon. It must be your age? In my 20s I did not care as I assumed the doctors new what the heck he was doing. Now I a lot less trusting (I watched Botched ) and if famous/ super rich people can die getting this stuff the micky mouse person that I would be able to afford might totally mess up) . If I was not scared of dying or someone totally messing it up I would strongly consider getting it done. I got a breast reduction done when I was around 20 as I was really self conscious about it and did not regret it. As far as I am concerned it is your body and your choice. However, I don't think having surgery is the only answer to self esteem issues.
It took 1 week for me to feel normal again, but like 3 months for the swelling to go away like 90%. It does suck, you are in some pain after the surgery, but nothing comes without sacrifices. I'm a guy, so this was bearable for me.

The main scare is that you could get an infection, such as MRSA or flesh eating bacteria, but if the surgeon has properly sterilized the equipment, and put you on antibiotics days before the surgery, and 1 week after the surgery, it is unlikely to happen, but yeah, that is the major risk. I knew it could happen, luckily it didn't. I read cases of people who died from it.

I actually knew a lot about the surgery and the complications. I researched a lot about it and even watched all the videos of people who died lol I still decided to take the risk. I would never get another surgery, though, they are very risky and many people die from them, anything can happen even the surgeon is very good.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:14 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Default Oh well ...

Quote:
It took 1 week for me to feel normal again, but like 3 months for the swelling to go away like 90%. It does suck, you are in some pain after the surgery, but nothing comes without sacrifices. I'm a guy, so this was bearable for me.

The main scare is that you could get an infection, such as MRSA or flesh eating bacteria, but if the surgeon has properly sterilized the equipment, and put you on antibiotics days before the surgery, and 1 week after the surgery, it is unlikely to happen, but yeah, that is the major risk. I knew it could happen, luckily it didn't. I read cases of people who died from it.

I actually knew a lot about the surgery and the complications. I researched a lot about it and even watched all the videos of people who died lol I still decided to take the risk. I would never get another surgery, though, they are very risky and many people die from them, anything can happen even the surgeon is very good.
Oh forget that then lol. I think I will just deal with the extra cushion lol and buy reality great undergarments !

Old 06-16-2016, 12:12 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:

You could handle this because you're a guy? Get back to me when you give birth to something (someone) the size of a large melon--without drugs. Not much seems to hurt after that. Sorry for the rant.

Yes, you can get an infection from medical procedures. It's never happened to me, but it does happen.

Why are you telling the world now?

Old 06-16-2016, 12:36 AM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Thank you for sharing your experience, OP. At first I thought it was odd that you were so determined to keep it a secret, but then when you revealed that you are male, it made more sense. Plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons carries more of a stigma for males, I think (though it shouldn't).

I appreciate the information because I have always been curious about lipo. I, too, have love handles and flabby-looking abdomen that pooches out no matter how much weight I lose or how much exercise I do. But I'm a 67-year-old woman, and I think for me the window of opportunity has closed. I'm also a big wienie when it comes to pain. You were smart to do it when you were young and could heal more quickly.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:54 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Good for you for getting it done.

I get exactly what you are saying and how you feel. I had weight loss surgery four years ago and very few people know. It is not that I am hiding it, it is just it is my own business, I don't feel I have to justify it to anyone. It made me feel great and I have no regrets.

I personally think we don't tell people because people can be so judgmental (and besides it is no one's business).
Like you, it did wonders for my self esteem.

Now I have been considering a tummy tuck. Part of me says I am 58 and the flab shouldn't bother me, the other part of me says it would make me feel better. If I do decide to do it, I won't be announcing it. In short, it is just for my own satisfaction.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Why be so dramatic? It's not a big deal - lots of people do lots of stuff...and it's your body! Your surgeon is dead so your secret is safe? Guess you never plan on having anything else done? If you already have then just wait until you see what you look like at 40, 50, and up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty