Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times

Advertisements

I have this scarf, although the version printed on Navy blue, vs. black, which I got at Target.

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-star...n/-/A-15714876

I typically wear it to events held on patriotic holidays with my husband when he is doing things with his military unit. I don't find it to be trailer trashy or Trump fanatical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 02:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,751,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
When I was a teenager, I always wanted one of those t-shirts that were made out of the American flag, but my elders mentioned it was both disrespectful and illegal (huh?) to do so. I never could understand why Brits can wear their national standard like it's going out of style but I can't show my national background.

Here in summer 2016, seeing the flag on clothes has exploded like I've never seen before. Is this just a case of people's taboos melting away, or is there some sort of message being sent? Are you okay with people, or yourself, wearing the stars and bars?

And on a fashion related note: Do you think it looks good? I do submit both Britian and France have more symmetrical styling more suited to clothes, but have you seen the American flag done right on someone?
There is a difference between making clothing out of flag prints, or stars and striped material and actually taking a flag and cutting/sewing into clothing.

The first is fine, the second, is what is disrespectful to the flag.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 667 times
Personally don't care

Old 07-23-2016, 05:02 AM

32,954 posts, read 36,419,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Clothes MADE OUT OF ACTUAL FLAGS? No. As NDak said, it violates the flag code.

Clothes with flag or flag-like printing/stitching on them? Sure.
I feel the same way. Patriotic clothing is one thing, but I'd never wear something made from a flag.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:37 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,090,938 times
This former soldier says "Do as you please with it- salute it, burn it or wear it as a diaper if you want to make that statement. That's your right, and if you let anyone take it away from you, then what I did was wasted."

Old 07-23-2016, 06:49 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,552,294 times
Sadly, some people wear it like it's a diaper. D'ohhh!

Old 07-23-2016, 07:11 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,598,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
When I was a teenager, I always wanted one of those t-shirts that were made out of the American flag, but my elders mentioned it was both disrespectful and illegal (huh?) to do so. I never could understand why Brits can wear their national standard like it's going out of style but I can't show my national background.

Here in summer 2016, seeing the flag on clothes has exploded like I've never seen before. Is this just a case of people's taboos melting away, or is there some sort of message being sent? Are you okay with people, or yourself, wearing the stars and bars?

First of all, the wearing of clothing adorned as the Union flag, (often wrongly called the Union Jack), in the U.K. is considered naff, (tacky), and the English flag, red cross, one horizontal, one vertical, on a white background, is seen as representative of right wing or racist chav/trash.
Second of all, I'm sure that you meant Stars and Stripes, as IIRC the Stars and Bars was the battle flag of the Confederacy.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:21 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,324,817 times
I was raised to respect the flag, and as apart of that to never disgrace the flag by wearing it as clothing or using it for any purpose other then as a flag.

Even though I will never wear the flag, if the intent is as a patriot symbol, I do not have a huge problem with people wearing the flag.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:14 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,627,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantal cora View Post
Personally don't care
Welcome to City-Data!

And did you really sign up to tell the original poster that you have no opinion on the subject?

Old 07-23-2016, 10:27 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,829,319 times
From an aesthetics point of view, I think it's rather garish.

From a LOOK AT ME, I'M SUPER-PATRIOTIC BECAUSE I WEAR THIS CRAPPY WAL-MART FLAG T-SHIRT! perspective, I think it falls somewhere between pitiful and obnoxious, depending on the wearer.

From the inane political correctness notion wherein people have a meltdown if the flag isn't treated like some sacred relic, I could not possibly care any less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty