Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,472,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I have two sons in college, and they and most of their friends wear shorter shorts, like the Patagonia hiking shorts, with leather or canvas shoes, like this:

As you can see, they are well above the knee but not in any way suggestive.
I had a pair of shorts similar to these from LL Bean. They were multi-purpose sport shorts that you could wear while hiking or even swimming, as they'd dry out fairly quickly.

I threw mine out, though a year or so ago because I thought the short length was out of style!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Thanks, OP. I've been really sick of the ridiculously long shorts on the market the last twenty years or so. Knee length, beyond knee length, just no way. I used to have a pair o Stand-Up Shorts from Patagonia. I liked them, although for general wear the canvas, particularly the double seat, was too hot. I guess I'd better get up to Banana Republic and grab some of those seven inch inseam shorts.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Hi there. You say an inch or so above the knee might be okay. So how many inches above the knee is it suppose to be? The thing was i thought khaki shorts were suppose to be around the kneecap thus either cover the kneecap by a bit or right on it. I did not know the kneecaps are suppose to be shown?
There is no rule. Buy what looks good on you. If you have a female in your life whose taste you trust, take her with you when you shop. She’ll probably be helpful.

Then later treat her to fancy coffee as thanks.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:47 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Well i wanted to know, are men's shorts suppose to really end above the kneecaps? I always thought it should cover the kneecaps just by a little bit etc. I always wore it that way. I seen guys wear very short shorts and those are not comfortable and not good looking. But i did not know shorts where you have kneecap showing was how its suppose to be?

I always felt comfortable wearing shorts where it cover kneecaps. But is it not suppose is my question.
You must be young! When I saw my first "manpris" that were below the knee I just about burst out laughing. The kid wearing them made me think of an older woman trying to cover up even though it was 90 degrees outside!

Men USED to wear shorts that were well above the knee - up to maybe mid thigh - that's for casual shorts. Workout clothing for basketball, running and the like were even shorter. Look at old pro basketball games from the 70's for a real shocker!

Wear what you're comfortable with - you probably feel n@ked showing your knees for the first time!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
I'm about 5'8. I wear shorts a lot. The shorts that i wear are from banana republic and i wear a 32'. The thing is those shorts fall a bit below my kneecaps etc. I have to get a new pair or maybe 2 pairs of shorts and was at Gap recently. They had shorts that were 7 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch. I knew the 7 inch was way too short as male shorts and i thought 10 inch one would be the right ones. I then noticed these are about 2 inches or so above my kneecap. My first instinct was these are way too short. Then i tried the 12 inch one and it fall below my kneecap.

First off, where are men's shorts suppose to fall? These are khaki/stone color shorts so you all know probably what im talking about as those are the most popular colors. I had thought 12' was way too long and baggy. Interestingly enough, it fit just a bit looser than my banana republic ones

So are shorts suppose to end about 1 or 2 inch above the kneecap? If so, i had no idea about this. I always thought shorts were suppose to cover the kneecap by just a bit? Also the thing is in the model picture they would advertise how the model is wearing a 32. But because the model is usually 6'1 or 6'2, well does that mean that someone my height should be wearing 12 inch shorts? Not sure if my wording is right but basically there are either 7, 10 or 12 inch for shorts.
MEN aren't supposed to wear shorts unless you're actively engaged in an athletic endeavor, poolside, or on or near the water.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:08 AM

973 posts, read 915,331 times
Hey man, just wear what's comfortable for you.

For me that could be a pair of khaki shorts that are 1-2in above the knee, or some bball shorts that are knee length or an inch lower. I don't follow rules. There are none. Fashion changes ever year or two. One thing that'll never come back though are baggy shorts/pants — I hope.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:17 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
The style the past decade or more has been saggy shorts at mid calf. That's always been one of the stupidest, most ugly male fashion look in the last 100 years (although the dropped-crotch look beats it).

In my youth, men normally wore them significantly higher than the knee. Then came a wave of cargo-cut-offs that were longer because they had to be cut below the side-mounted cargo pocket.

If I wear shorts today (which is really only when I'm in an athletic pursuit), they will be about three inches above my knee.

All that cycling and squatting I've done...I want a little quad to show.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:34 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,472,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
MEN aren't supposed to wear shorts unless you're actively engaged in an athletic endeavor, poolside, or on or near the water.
Your profile doesn't say where you live, but I'm guessing it's not in an area that has high humidity and/or heat in the summer months.

I love wearing jeans, but they can be very heavy and hot when the temps are in the mid-eighties or higher with high humidity, like we get here in North Carolina several months of the year.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
You're kidding right? If not, who wrote that ridiculous rule?

FWIW, I wear shorts all summer, unless decorum calls for long pants.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
That's strange, because that is all I ever seem to see in my area! As I'm not a man who reads any of the men's fashion magazines or makes an effort to follow the latest styles and trends, I just figured that I was not up to date on the trends in men's clothes by wearing shorts that fall a couple of inches above my knees.

OP, as others have said here, just wear whatever you think looks and feels best on you. As long as you're not wearing shorts that make you look like you're in an episode of Magnum, P.I. from the eighties, I think you'll be fine.
Mmmmmm mmmmmm - THOSE were the days...guys don't show ANYTHING now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty