Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:07 PM

454 posts, read 449,189 times

Advertisements

Hey all. So last time i did not get any shorts and just wore the ones i had. But now... the other pair has a huge hole in it.

So now i have to get 2 pairs of shorts. One would be stone color and other would be khaki. These 2 pairs of shorts i wear now... i bought it probably 7-8 years ago and bought it online through banana republic. I love these shorts because they are the perfect style and length.

Does anyone know if there is a way to find out the exact style of shorts i bought from banana republic years ago? The other thing is this. Last time when i was at gap to try on some shorts... one of them was way too short. It was like those short shorts for men. Then i tried another pair and it felt like it was way too long on me. I'm about 5'8 and the shorts that i currently wear... those look right. They basically end right around the top of my kneecap etc. That is where men shorts are suppose to end right?

The thing is how would i know which shorts are the same length without trying them out? I read there is 7' inseam and 9' inseam and 10' inseam. How do i measure this? I ask this because i see some shorts on amazon where brands like docker shorts etc and they have good reviews. Thus i would want to buy it online because from checking out shorts at gap for example, they are either way too short... or a bit too long.

If i could, i would buy the same banana republic shorts that i bought 7-8 years ago but when i look at the site, theres always new styles etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 PM

The other thing is this. If someone wears a 32 width but say is 6'0 tall or 6'2 tall, obviously the shorts length will look different than a guy that is say 5'10 or 5'8 or 5'5 right? So do taller guys not buy shorts with long inseam because of their height? For example when i wear jeans or pants, i wear 32x30.

But for shorts, well they just have 32 or say 32 large for bigger people.

Does anyone have links for men's stone or khaki shorts where it looks good and correct length for a guy that is about 5'8?

These are the ones im looking at on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Dockers-Mens-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

10.5' inseam seem to be too long though? These are they style of shorts i have.

https://www.amazon.com/IZOD-Mens-Sal...-13&th=1&psc=1

These shorts look a bit strange in texture. Would this be similar to the one above? Also not sure on inseam.

https://www.amazon.com/Nautica-Cotto...-19&th=1&psc=1

8.5' inseam? This is good?

How would i measure the inseam on the 2 current banana republic shorts i currently have?

Also i notice amazon has their own clothing line and have shorts as well? These must be not good quality and probably should be avoided?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F282LQV...b8b&th=1&psc=1

Old 03-11-2019, 12:32 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to find out the exact style of shorts i bought from banana republic years ago? Not that I'm aware of.

They basically end right around the top of my kneecap etc. That is where men shorts are suppose to end right? It depends on the style you like, but for most men who like a somewhat conservative style a length that ends at or just above the knee is great.

The thing is how would i know which shorts are the same length without trying them out? I read there is 7' inseam and 9' inseam and 10' inseam. How do i measure this?
Do you have a measuring tape, or even a ruler? Take a pair of shorts you own, and like the fit, and measure the inside seam of the leg, from the middle of the crotch (where all the seams meet) to the bottom of the leg of the shorts. Keep your measuring tape or ruler on the seam as you measure. That will give you the inseam measurement that you can use to compare to whatever style you're looking at online.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Alright thanks. don't have measuring tape or ruler at the moment.

But if you measure the inseam... whatever it is... the same length will be the one you buy online right? Thing is im about 5'8 and the 2 pairs of shorts that i have from banana republic... these were bought many many years ago... they are very comfortable and stylish. I got these on sale years ago online and when i got it... i thought they were perfect length. They are right above my kneecaps etc. The thing is i dont want shorts to be either way too short or way too long as its looks like those baggy ones.

Does anyone know what sites are good at buying shorts that fit my criteria? The thing is if someone is 6'0, what inseam should they buy? What if they are 5'10? 5'8? 5'6? I mean someone who is 6'0 can have a 32' waist just like that person who is 5'6 as well. But how does one know what to buy online though? You have to look at the inseam and thats the only way? I seen pictures on sites where models who are like 6'2 who wear a 32' shorts and i thought... someone that is 5'8 who wears that... it would be way too long etc.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:35 PM

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.d...4128&pcid=5156

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.d...4128&pcid=5156

These are the type of shorts i like and the color. The ones i have are banana republic and this color. However they say model is wearing a regular gap size 32. Now if you look at the model, you can see they are probably 6'0 to 6'2 at least. So if someone that is say 5'8 or 5'6 wears it, wouldn't it be too long as it would hit below the kneecaps?

The thing is the 2 shorts i currently have that i bought long time ago with Banana republic, they are 32' and they end just above my kneecap which i want.

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...0&pcid=1020051

Would the one above be what i want? The thing is i notice the inseam is either 7', 9', 10' or sometimes 11' or 12'. So basically 7' is those real short shorts right? So what is the correct inseam for someone my height then?

Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:

The thing is the 2 shorts i currently have that i bought long time ago with Banana republic, they are 32' and they end just above my kneecap which i want.

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...0&pcid=1020051

Would the one above be what i want? The thing is i notice the inseam is either 7', 9', 10' or sometimes 11' or 12'. So basically 7' is those real short shorts right? So what is the correct inseam for someone my height then?
Take the pair of shorts you like, measure the inseam, and that will be the inseam you should measure.

The 32" is the waist measurement. The 7", 9" 10", 12" measurements are the inseam. Yes, 7" will be shorter than 12". If you don't have a measuring tape or ruler, use a dollar bill to estimate. A dollar bill is about 6 inches long.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:30 PM

Okay so if someone is about 5'8, what inseam is the best? I have once tried on a pair of shorts that i believe was 7' and i did not like it. They were like short shorts. I then tried on a pair that was way too long... it was below my kneecaps etc.

So there are no 8' inseam and its usually only those mentioned?

Old 03-17-2019, 06:32 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
It's not a magic formula. Measure the inseam of the shorts that you like and buy new ones with that same inseam.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM

So whatever is the inseam... then that is where the length of the shorts would stop correct?

Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
So whatever is the inseam... then that is where the length of the shorts would stop correct?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty