Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:31 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I agree, I'm middle-aged, and I avoid almost all "flower" prints. I actually avoid wearing a lot of "prints" in general, preferring mostly solid colors, and even then staying away from what I think of as "candy colored" pastels.

Other things that I think look "matronly" are those dresses with short sleeved jackets, anything with "holiday" motifs (snowmen, pumpkins, etc), and matching "embroidered denim" outfits.

I think it would take a lot for a 20 something to look matronly, though.

I agree with all of this (except I am over 60 so not middle aged). I have very few print clothes, a few plaids and stripes. I like dark solids.

I also feel a LARGE purse looks matronly so I have a small cross-body bag. I know a lot of people will disagree with this though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:02 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,080,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Cuts and fabrics are more the culprit than patterns, IMO.
I agree. I think the cuts and fabrics are key.

I have this floral print top and I basically wear this exact look to work all the time. I'm in my 20's and I
don't think it makes me look matronly. I wear a lot of prints, actually. Maybe I do just walk around looking matronly half the time..oh well haha

Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Here’s an example. I think of H&M as a young person’s store, but as someone pushing 70, I wouldn’t be caught dead in this, or other prints there.

Textured-weave Dress | Light yellow/floral | WOMEN | H&M US

Old 04-13-2018, 08:33 AM

16,425 posts, read 12,529,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here’s an example. I think of H&M as a young person’s store, but as someone pushing 70, I wouldn’t be caught dead in this, or other prints there.

Textured-weave Dress | Light yellow/floral | WOMEN | H&M US
That's not matronly, it's just ugly. And four sizes too big. And paired with ugly sandals.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 AM

12,052 posts, read 8,440,782 times
I avoid prints that show distinct items, such as cabbage roses, etc. It I'm going to wear a print I find it more attractive if it's paired with an area of solid like crd's blouse above. That's more figure flattering.

Also I think for me a largish print that is more water-color looking and less graphic is more feature softening. Something kind of swirly.

Odd description. Can't seem to quite put it in words.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:48 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,539,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishim View Post
I really don't understand why floral patterns are viewed as so "matronly".
It will depend on your body shape, the clothing cut, & what you are pairing said floral with-- including your haircut. Florals are not necessarily matronly.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:27 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,360,903 times
I too am middle-aged. I've never been a big fan of flower or leaf prints. That said, I do own a spring floral sweater. It has large tropical type flowers and looks more like a multi-color pattern. I think it's really about the size of the print.

One thing I would never buy is a short sleeve cardigan sweater. What's the point? I can see a short sleeve sweater to go under a jacket, but not a cardigan.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:49 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,830 times
A lot of seniors ladies I know wear matching outfits of tops and skirts that have prints or florals and that does look matronly. Blouses tucked into "slacks" (usually pleated) that are made out of teflon-like material also fits the bill. Twinsets (cardigan sweater over matching short-sleeve sweater) is an "older" style. So often it depends too on the type of fabric.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,548,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I agree. I think the cuts and fabrics are key.

I have this floral print top and I basically wear this exact look to work all the time. I'm in my 20's and I
don't think it makes me look matronly. I wear a lot of prints, actually. Maybe I do just walk around looking matronly half the time..oh well haha

Yeah. Not matronly at all, I don't think. I spent some time at the mall today and florals were everywhere. Granted, it's spring.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,519,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
One thing I would never buy is a short sleeve cardigan sweater. What's the point? I can see a short sleeve sweater to go under a jacket, but not a cardigan.
It can be really cute over a tank-top during warmer weather. I have a couple of them that I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty