Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 05:18 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

When you ar ealone you please yourself by doing nothing 'extra'.

When you are going to be with your BF, you want to please him so you wear makeup.

If anything you should talk to your BF. It sounds like you want to be the 'trophy on his arm'. right?

btw my wife has not wore any make-up in over 35 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
If your boyfriend is aware that you dress up for him, then why not wear what you want when you're not around him? As long as you are clean and your clothes are clean, who cares?

I don't wear makeup and wear comfortable clothes if I'm not going out.

If I go out shopping I wear nicer clothes and put on a bit of makeup. If I'm going out for supper or to an occasion with friends or hubby that calls for dressing up, I'll dress nicely and wear makeup.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:44 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,997 times
You should look however you want and if you are happy not looking great all the time, that's all that really matters. However, you should be comfortable not always looking your best with your boyfriend too. Does he expect you to always look good with him or is that your issue? I can tell you, long term, the person you love is going to see you at your worst...sick in bed with the flu, in the middle of giving birth, trying to recover from a birth and breastfeeding, after a long sleepless night with kids, even just...first thing in the morning with no makeup and messy hair. You don't want someone with unrealistic expectations that we look perfect all the time.

If YOU want to look better when you don't feel like it, you can learn how to pull your hair back cutely (with some dry shampoo) and how to put on a really light make up. You can buy cute but comfy clothes (think the athleisure trend). I coudl never personally go out looking like a slob, but I often go out with my hair pulled up in a bun, very light makeup and a cute pair of leggings and a comfy tunic with some cute tennis shoes. Very casual, but not slob worthy.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:48 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlight22 View Post
I only wear makeup and nice clothes when I am with my boyfriend. Otherwise I wear sweatpants and sneakers and sweaters and no makeup. I go around with my hair looking terrible because I really don't care (don't worry I shower).

What do you think about this? Should I look nice everywhere I go?
The time to worry is when you don't want to look nice for your boyfriend.

Be yourself...Can you just hang like that with him too and still be confident?

Old 04-25-2018, 01:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
I only wear makeup and nice clothes when I am with my boyfriend. Otherwise I wear sweatpants and sneakers and sweaters and no makeup. I go around with my hair looking terrible because I really don't care (don't worry I shower).

Brush your hair and you are golden. Is your boyfriend an outdoors type? If he is, he prefers sweats and sneakers, maybe with a hooded rain coat. The last thing an active guy wants is some delicate little daisy who is afraid to chip the varnish off her nails.

As an aside, one of the sexiest and most beautiful women I ever met only wore makeup for special occasions, and she once told me she felt like a transvestite when she was all painted up. She had a tendency to show up at the bar smelling like a horse, because she rode rodeo. She was not a "slob," she was who she was, 100% genuine. Be yourself.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:45 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,509,376 times
Quote:

What do YOU think about this? Your opinion is the only one that matters in this scenario. You say you don't care, but you do care or you wouldn't be asking the opinions of strangers.

Quote:
Why do you do this? Is it because you will run into someone you know?

I guess the point of this thread is that I want to know if people care about how they are perceived by others.
Why do you care if other people care how they are perceived? You started off asking what YOU should do and now you're saying you care what OTHER people think THEY should do.

To answer your first question, I think you should do what you want to do.

For your second question, if I'm not going to work, I wear sweats or jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts or whatever. I don't do a whole lot to my hair either way and I don't wear makeup regardless of what I'm doing, so the only real difference is the clothing. I dress nicer for work. I do care how I'm perceived to some extent. I don't want people to think I smell or that I'm a total slob. But I don't care if they think I'm unfashionable, or not skinny, or if would look better if I did more to my appearance. So I do care to some extent, but not a great extent. I'm pretty comfortable in my skin/clothing choices

Old 04-26-2018, 05:42 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The time to worry is when you don't want to look nice for your boyfriend.

Be yourself...Can you just hang like that with him too and still be confident?
Words of Gold !!!

Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:

Perfectly fine.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:39 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post
I think you do care about this, otherwise why post it here for everyone to comment on?

A lot of people who deal with depression have a difficult time with self care, such as looking nice even when no one is around to notice it. If this has truly become a thing for you maybe you should seek some professional help.
This is what I was thinking. Knowing one looks "terrible" in public but simply not caring about it may be a sign of depression, as being unable to care for oneself (and also not caring to) are unfortunately signs of depression. :/

Old 05-02-2018, 03:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
Hard to say. I don't think women should let society dictate that they be dressy constantly. On the other hand, that doesn't mean you should be a slob

Maybe part of the question should be why you dress up or your boyfriend. Is he very dressy? Are you being a different person for him? Will he lose interest if you don't wear makeup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty