Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:02 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times

Advertisements

Yes! Keep and wear them when appropriate (casual stuff). Express yourself.

I hate this idea that people are supposed to give up their personalities and sense of fun style when they hit a certain age and resign themselves to khakis, polos, and button downs until they die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 02:04 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,235,049 times
Only if it's reasonably cool and age and context appropriate. Something someone middle aged could get away with: concert T's, skateboard logo T's, etc....IF they like music and IF they can/could skateboard.
And NOTHING with cussing or drugs or booze. Then you look like the middle-aged person trying to be in middle SCHOOL.
Saw the Grateful Dead's "Fare Thee Well" show in California 3 years ago but never bought a shirt. Went on their website today and bought one. That's a good example.
Any retro T looks great on a teen, and even better on a middle aged person, because they actually lived it.
Middle aged high school teacher here. See it all day long. Hendrix, Vans, Che, Doors, Marley, Zep, you name it. I love seeing it on the kids. That sometimes woulda got me thrown out of high school in my day. And the kids love it when I get the reference and tell them when I actually saw Van Halen, etc....
Kids are dorky today, sure, but in some ways they are soooooooo much cooler than we ever were.
One today had a shirt that said "Sarcasm: Just One Of The Sevices I Offer."
Awesome.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No.

Personally I don't wear.graphic tees and the fashion experts agree with me that they don't belong in any man's wardrobe.

The worst type of shirt a man can wear, according to women — and what to wear instead

26 things every man should take out of his closet and burn
I disagree with those articles, and I raise you with a couple links of my own:

The Grown Man's Guide to Wearing Graphic T-Shirts -

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...-the-internet/

I don't think the graphics are what cancels out the shirt. I think it's the fit. If you're in shape and don't have a belly, you won't look like a manchild simply by wearing a graphic T-shirt.

As usual, it's HOW you wear it that matters. If the design is something that is meaningful to you, even better.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:10 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,184,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No.

Personally I don't wear.graphic tees and the fashion experts agree with me that they don't belong in any man's wardrobe.

The worst type of shirt a man can wear, according to women — and what to wear instead

26 things every man should take out of his closet and burn
Writers for Business Insider and Nordic Business Insider are fashion experts?

I don't think anyone is saying to only wear graphic T-shirts. I think people are saying that in the right causal context they are fine as part of an "older" man's clothing selections. Of course men should have other more dressy and/or sedate clothes in their wardrobe. And no one should wear only one type of shirt or outfit all the time.

What I really want to know is, how does one become a "fashion expert?" What are the criteria- do you have to be a clothing designer? The owner of a large textile business? An iconic model who has been in the industry for years? Or can any random opinionated person on the internet claim to be part of that nebulous group, and then make sweeping recommendations for an entire demographic based on their (real or imagined) "expertise?"

Last edited by Gfab1; 05-16-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 02:12 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Only if it's reasonably cool and age appropriate. Something someone middle aged could get away with: concert T's, skateboard logo T's, etc....IF they like music and IF they can/could skateboard.
And NOTHING with cussing or drugs or booze. Then you look like the middle-aged person trying to be in middle SCHOOL.
What about the ones I own? Like, with illustrations and/or oddball designs, that carry a subtle message. Which category would they fit into?

I don't own anything with profanities or drugs. I do own a beer-related T-shirt, but I only wore it to a pub crawl and on summer holidays.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-16-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
As long as there is no profanity or suggestiveness, and it's not a freebie from a beer case, graphic t-shirts can be just fine and dandy. But that goes for any age. And, like any clothing, it needs to be appropriate to the occasion. Casual, every day wear? Sure.

My husband has a t-shirt that says "Real heavy metal" and has a historical representation of Thor's hammer. He's of Scandinavian heritage and plays guitar in a band. It's perfect for him.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:50 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times
Depends. Cool bands, movies, etc is cool. Ed Hardy type stuff is not.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Depends. Cool bands, movies, etc is cool. Ed Hardy type stuff is not.
Oooh ... good point. Ed Hardy shirts should all be thrown in a bonfire.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:35 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,899,609 times
I think that novelty t shirts are cool

Forget the fashion experts and wear them if you want to. I've seen guys much older than 35 wearing them and they look just fine in them.

DH is 59 and has one with wolves on it that he wears; I'm 48 and wear one with the wicked witch on it

Of course I would never wear it to a formal occasion but it's fine for the weekends and even casual Fridays in some laid back work environments.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:38 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
I think it's silly to base what one wears on what "fashion sites" say should or shouldn't be worn by certain people. The shirts you described sound fine to me, but if you feel weird wearing them now at your age, then don't wear them. Personally, I wear what I think looks good, and what I like, without regard to what random strangers' opinions are. *shrugs*

This....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty