Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 12:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I was going through my closet, and found four graphic T-shirts I haven't worn in at least a year. I originally bought them when I was 27 or 28, but didn't wear them all the time. I usually saved them for "nice casual" occasions like at an outdoor concert, or for hipster-oriented events like a Renaissance Fair. So they're still in good condition, and I can wear them without looking messy or careless.

The graphics are hipster-esque indeed: a spoof of Salvador Dali with electric guitars instead of watches, a row of broken telephone lines set against a mountain backdrop, a black-and-white Windows XP logo getting smashed by a rock, and an abstract rendition of the Golden Gate Bridge in dashed and dotted lines.

However, I'm 35 now, and can't help but feel like I'm too old for these T-shirts. I also vaguely remember reading these things on men's fashion sites, that you shouldn't wear graphic tees if you're over 30. But I do like the designs, the fabric is good-quality, and they still look presentable.

What does everyone else on here think? Feel free to elaborate.
If you feel too old, you are too old. Besides if you have never worn them, clearly they aren't for you.

I am a 45 yo woman and I have a couple of graphic tees I still wear in casual settings. One is this one:

https://www.shape.com/shop/etsy-funk...1f3b7afcc.html

I also have one my students bought me that says mother of sharks since I have 25 some odd baby sharks again this year, and I love game of thrones. I wear it on field days.

So no, I do not think t-shirts with pics on them are inherently verboten based on a particular age. It is more based on where and when you are wearing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 12:23 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Writers for Business Insider and Nordic Business Insider are fashion experts?

I don't think anyone is saying to only wear graphic T-shirts. I think people are saying that in the right causal context they are fine as part of an "older" man's clothing selections. Of course men should have other more dressy and/or sedate clothes in their wardrobe. And no one should wear only one type of shirt or outfit all the time.

What I really want to know is, how does one become a "fashion expert?" What are the criteria- do you have to be a clothing designer? The owner of a large textile business? An iconic model who has been in the industry for years? Or can any random opinionated person on the internet claim to be part of that nebulous group, and then make sweeping recommendations for an entire demographic based on their (real or imagined) "expertise?"
Well, other than the suit and tie, LOL!!!

I'm kidding.

I'm by no means a clothing expert. As a matter of fact, I don't really know what is "my color". I've watched a YouTube channel that goes into some of the many different nuances of fashion and how to find your color so to speak and how you know it is your color.

And also, some of my clothes are unconventional even though they are not graphic t's or other types of shirts with phrases or logos on it.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:24 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I'm 60 and I wear graphic T's. In the warmer months, when I'm at home, or camping, or just running around doing errands, I'm in a tshirt.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I am a 39 yo female. I mostly avoid graphic tees. I wear them very occasionally. And usually something artsy (think Andy Warhol prints). Mostly I like to look a bit more dressed up so t-shirts aren’t really my look. But they can work well if it is your style.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:03 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,431,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am a 45 yo woman and I have a couple of graphic tees I still wear in casual settings. One is this one:

https://www.shape.com/shop/etsy-funk...1f3b7afcc.html
I really love that shirt in the link! I own three Stranger Things shirts myself (two sweat shirts and a T-shirt).

Old 05-17-2018, 01:25 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

https://www.shape.com/shop/etsy-funk...1f3b7afcc.html.
Wow, I liked the forest design in the sample graphic. It actually looks like one of the T-shirts I described (the one with the power lines).

Old 05-17-2018, 03:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I kind of feel like fashion 'experts' are like movie critics. IF you agree with their critique...then you follow their opinions on their subject matters.

And I suppose you're allowed to call yourself an expert if you get paid for your opinion? (shrugging shoulders.)

I'm of a certain age where "is it fashionable?" is NOT necessarily the main criteria I go by anymore. Sure, I want to look appropriate for whatever situation...but most 'experts' aren't preaching to my demographic anyway. And besides, I have my own opinions with regards to what's in, and what's not.

Like, for the life of me, I don't understand why bare shoulders, strapless anything is marketed to middle aged big boobed women. But it is. (another shrugs shoulders).

Old 05-17-2018, 03:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
definitely no, usually

Old 05-17-2018, 03:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If they're clean and in good condition I generally don't have an issue with graphic tshirts on any age, especially if the wearer has a shirt that is expressing something about themselves (as opposed to just wearing some free promotional shirt). I enjoy pop culture, clever, witty, or nostalgic tee shirts.

I'm a 40+ woman who unapologetically wears graphic tees. Some of my favorites: Dorothy and her Oz friends taking a selfie with her cell phone, a Stars Hollow Dance Marathon tee (from Gilmore Girls), a "Goonies Never Say Die" tee, and one that says "I crochet because killing people is frowned upon."
I agree, and I like your style.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Wow, I liked the forest design in the sample graphic. It actually looks like one of the T-shirts I described (the one with the power lines).
I think that is why I will always own a few graphic tees. I like the mix of art and nerd culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty