Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

My husband, age 61, has a sweatshirt with "Curmudgeon" written on it in large letters, and he wears it often and with pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Writers for Business Insider and Nordic Business Insider are fashion experts?

There was a link to Instagram "fashion experts".

First turn off for me is men showing off their fashion expertise on Instagram,
Second is... maybe it's just me... there was one, maybe two outfits I thought was okay, the rest of them looked rather obnoxious.

Best men's fashion Instagrammers - Business Insider

I think I'd take a dude with a logo bearing t-shirt over this stuff.
Again, it's probably just me.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 AM

522 posts, read 343,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's obvious the OP is self conscious about wearing these shirts because why else would he ask us if it's appropriate to wear them? If he didn't care what others thought, then he would never have posted this in the first place.

He's looking for emotional support from others to go ahead and wear them, that there's nothing wrong with graphic t-shirts and whatnot. I'm not criticizing him for it, just calling it like it is. You ask for an opinion, then be prepared for all opinions both good and bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Incorrect. I didn't start this thread for "emotional support". I started it because I found four perfectly good T-shirts, that I almost forgot about, and I don't want them to go to waste. So far, it looks like I can still wear them. Just less often than I could when I first bought them. Which is normal and understandable.

Oh, and I like cargo shorts too. They work great in the summer, when I don't have a jacket with extra pockets, but I still carry a lot of stuff around. Better cargo shorts than a man-purse (murse?), at least.
He says you're looking for emotional support! LMAO. People here crack me up sometimes.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:17 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
My husband, age 61, has a sweatshirt with "Curmudgeon" written on it in large letters, and he wears it often and with pride.
Too funny! I browsed www.thinkgeek.com and looked at their T-shirts; there were some pretty funny ones. The best one had the word "No" in white letters on a black background; nothing else. Loved it!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:25 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
No.

Personally I don't wear.graphic tees and the fashion experts agree with me that they don't belong in any man's wardrobe.

The worst type of shirt a man can wear, according to women — and what to wear instead

26 things every man should take out of his closet and burn
I'm 49 and right now I'm wearing a t-shirt. It has a Frank Lloyd Wright-esque design, along with a quote by the architect that I like. This specific shirt is also imbued with the treasured memories of when I acquired it - while visiting the Chicago Institute of Art while on a visit to that fine city with my then-teenage daughter.

How pathetic would I be if I declined to wear it simply because of the irrelevant opinions of fashionistas and some dude on the internet?

Actually, the uptight contempt for this attire by some is just a bonus, as far as I'm concerned...

Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I was going through my closet, and found four graphic T-shirts I haven't worn in at least a year. I originally bought them when I was 27 or 28, but didn't wear them all the time. I usually saved them for "nice casual" occasions like at an outdoor concert, or for hipster-oriented events like a Renaissance Fair. So they're still in good condition, and I can wear them without looking messy or careless.

The graphics are hipster-esque indeed: a spoof of Salvador Dali with electric guitars instead of watches, a row of broken telephone lines set against a mountain backdrop, a black-and-white Windows XP logo getting smashed by a rock, and an abstract rendition of the Golden Gate Bridge in dashed and dotted lines.

However, I'm 35 now, and can't help but feel like I'm too old for these T-shirts. I also vaguely remember reading these things on men's fashion sites, that you shouldn't wear graphic tees if you're over 30. But I do like the designs, the fabric is good-quality, and they still look presentable.

What does everyone else on here think? Feel free to elaborate.
If you like it, wear it~

Old 05-17-2018, 10:55 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

Second is... maybe it's just me... there was one, maybe two outfits I thought was okay, the rest of them looked rather obnoxious.

I like a lot of them, but they may not be suitable for the average guy's life. But I tend to like dressed up guys. And coordinating accessories.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:19 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

No, it is not just you, lol.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:04 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,433,330 times
I think as long as a guy is in decent shape he can pull off a lot of things. Nothing ages a man more than a gut protruding from a T-shirt. They even make graphic shirts for guys who are proud of their oldness. Shirts that say "old fart" for example. Some men wear those with pride. Stay away from those. Also, what about sports teams shirts? You see that on people of all ages and those are graphic shirts. I see plenty of grown older men wearing Star Wars and Marvel shirts. Just keep wearing the T-shirts that you like. There's nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
(instead of carrying a fanny pack which is far worse).
Shut your mouth.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
No.

Personally I don't wear.graphic tees and the fashion experts agree with me that they don't belong in any man's wardrobe.

The worst type of shirt a man can wear, according to women — and what to wear instead

26 things every man should take out of his closet and burn
I wouldn't buy a graphic t-shirt or any shirt with words on it, but I wouldn't shame or judge a man that does it.

*shrug*

I encourage men and women (especially men) to break fashion rules (that is as they see fit).

If us men followed the rules of fashion, strictly, we'd be clones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty