Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

The big problem here with your question is that preppy isn't so much a fashion choice as a lifestyle. Preppies are in Palm Beach not in Miami. They are in Hyannis Port, not in the Hamptons.

Seems to me that "preppy" depends on context. If you're talking about alpha-level coastal metros, then I can agree. If you're talking about small towns and suburbs more than a four hour drive from salt water (the Gulf Coast doesn't count), then preppy does seem to be a fashion choice. This is especially true when you contrast it with "rural to mid-sized metro white blue collar" fashion tastes. YMMV, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 05:38 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
None of those brand are "popular" nor "preppy". I know you want them to be (esp IZOD) but nope.
So why is Tommy Hilfiger making a profit? Why is PVH expanding their IZOD collection in their Van Heusen outlets and has introduced the StyleBureau.com website? Why did PVH bring back the IZOD women's line after it was previously discontinued in 2015? That doesn't sound like these brands are unpopular. Both brands complement each other in PVH's product line, with IZOD in the mid-range segment and Tommy Hilfiger in the premium segment, similar to how Ralph Lauren has both Chaps and Polo Ralph Lauren. Tommy Hilfiger seems to be popular year-round and IZOD peaks in the spring.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:40 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Classic preppy? None of those brands you mentioned have been preppy stalwarts in 25 years.

Brands that have always been preppy.

Lily Pullitzer
Tori Burch
Jack Rogers
Vinyard Vines
Ferragamo
Brooks Brothers
Gucci loafers

Certain things are preppy like pearls, Fair Isle sweaters, kilts, and cashmere twin sets not matter who makes them. Many LL Bean things are super preppy like Blucher Mocs, Nantucket Reds, etc.

The big problem here with your question is that preppy isn't so much a fashion choice as a lifestyle. Preppies are in Palm Beach not in Miami. They are in Hyannis Port, not in the Hamptons.
I spend my summers in the Hamptons, so I find it strange you say this because Palm Beach is the winter destination for most people who summer in the Hamptons. Do they lose their “preppyness” in the summer and regain it in the winter?

Ralph Lauren is not preppy? The small village of East Hampton has 4 different Ralph Lauren stores. (Well, 5 if you include Dylan’s Candy Bar.)

Old 10-28-2018, 06:57 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, how do you think different preppy brands are popular with different age groups?

While everyone knows I am an IZOD fan, I would agree they tend to be more popular with middle aged to older men. The same goes with Nautica.

Polo Ralph Lauren seems to be popular with men of all ages.

I would think Tommy Hilfiger is more popular with younger men, and I would possibly say the same is true for U.S. Polo Assn.

Not sure about Chaps.
We define "Preppy" very differently. IZOD is available at JCPenny. Nothing wrong with IZOD or JCP, but IZOD's preppy days have passed, and JCP is hardly a hot spot for "preppies".

Chaps is affordable prep by Ralph Lauren. I do not think that "US Polo Association" is at all Preppy with it's huge, garish, logo.
Tommy Hilfiger does attract a younger demographic. Some of the clothes have that look. Others do not.

Nautica? Seriously, not a preppy brand. More a sporty band that peaked in the 2000s - 2010. Now better known for mid range comforter sets that can be bought at off price stores.

The only one I ever see on men of many ages, that most would agree has "Preppy" creds is Polo, by Ralph Lauren.

IZOD was preppy when I was in HS and college and had the alligator applique. "LeTigre" was the polo shirt for wanna be preps.

LL Bean is very preppy, and affordable for most. Country club pro-shops carry preppy clothes. I would not personally advertise any club unless I was a member.

Have you checked out Vineyard Vines? www.vineyardvines.com

They have several shades of pink. I wear a lot of pink also.

Last edited by warren zee; 10-28-2018 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
We define "Preppy" very differently. IZOD is available at JCPenny. Nothing wrong with IZOD or JCP, but IZOD's preppy days have passed, and JCP is hardly a hot spot for "preppies".
And Kohl's. And Belk. And Amazon.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:53 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

Chaps is affordable prep by Ralph Lauren. I do not think that "US Polo Association" is at all Preppy with it's huge, garish, logo.
Tommy Hilfiger does attract a younger demographic. Some of the clothes have that look. Others do not.

Nautica? Seriously, not a preppy brand. More a sporty band that peaked in the 2000s - 2010. Now better known for mid range comforter sets that can be bought at off price stores.

The only one I ever see on men of many ages, that most would agree has "Preppy" creds is Polo, by Ralph Lauren.

IZOD was preppy when I was in HS and college and had the alligator applique. "LeTigre" was the polo shirt for wanna be preps.

LL Bean is very preppy, and affordable for most. Country club pro-shops carry preppy clothes. I would not personally advertise any club unless I was a member.

Have you checked out Vineyard Vines? www.vineyardvines.com

They have several shades of pink. I wear a lot of pink also.
I don't wear preppy but I know what it is. I agree with this post.

Ralph Lauren, LaCoste, Vineyard Vines, L. L. Bean.

The rest are cheap imitations of preppy.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 PM

And what exactly makes Tommy Hilfiger non-preppy? I am pretty sure they try to compete for the same customer that Polo Ralph Lauren goes for.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:29 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I spend my summers in the Hamptons, so I find it strange you say this because Palm Beach is the winter destination for most people who summer in the Hamptons. Do they lose their “preppyness” in the summer and regain it in the winter?
Exactly my point.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Exactly my point.
I know IZOD is a brand that typically peaks in the spring/summer. Apparently with their current ad campaign with Colin Jost and Aaron Rodgers they want to boost their fall/winter sales.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:51 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,113,364 times
To me:
Chaps = clothes made for outlet stores for 75 year old men who think RL Polo is too expensive.
Tommy Hillfiger = stuff my dad has had in his closet since 1999 but still wears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty