Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:39 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,854,815 times

Advertisements

Had a brother that worked for Saks and inherited several luggage pieces. I have always had the wallet and portfolio. I didn't know it was "out" . It is over priced but I cheap out on so many other items , I feel like I can justify the price. I also shop Ebay and watch for pieces. You do have to do your homework and not get stuck with fakes. The traditional LV is what I stick to, not this multi colored stuff, yuck!

LV is another that seems to control the brand very tightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 01:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

Also, I don’t think Chanel caters to the social media mavens quite as much as the other designer brands.
They don't just like Hermes. Hell, you can't even walk into Hermes and buy a Birkin without having a relationship with the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I know... I just like talking about how great Chanel is in so many ways.... I’m a little obsessed with it.
It is a great company!

LV to me is a lot like Christian Louboutin, the ratchet reality show crowd has taken it over and cheapened the brand.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I have seen past threads in these forums, and many users don't consider Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, or IZOD to be preppy brands. I wonder why? While they are somewhat less popular among the preppy crowd than Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, or Vineyard Vines, their styles are somewhat similar. I previously asked whether or not Tommy Hilfiger is a preppy brand, and most responses were no.

Tommy Hilfiger mostly is in the Classic Preppy category as far as style goes.

Nautica is in the Nautical Preppy category.

IZOD spans multiple preppy categories, from Classic (Premium Essentials), Nautical (Saltwater Collection), and Performance (Advantage and Golf).

So why aren't these brands considered preppy?
They don't meet the gold standard.

Hilfiger is not preppy. Hilfiger is subversive. Hilfiger is irreverent. No true prep will embrace Hilfiger.

Also consider that Hilfiger built his brand off of POC and that Nautica was founded by a POC. Reasons why preps hate those brands. No one wants to talk about this.

Prep, is like country music. Either it is or it isn't. There is no in between.

IZOD looks poor. Lacoste did well to stop their collaboration with them.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
They don't meet the gold standard.

Hilfiger is not preppy. Hilfiger is subversive. Hilfiger is irreverent. No true prep will embrace Hilfiger.

Also consider that Hilfiger built his brand off of POC and that Nautica was founded by a POC. Reasons why preps hate those brands. No one wants to talk about this.

Prep, is like country music. Either it is or it isn't. There is no in between.

IZOD looks poor. Lacoste did well to stop their collaboration with them.
There really isn't "preppy fashion" in the same way as it was before.....it has come back...or is trying to.. but in a fresh, twisted way. Too many people associate the old preppy styles with the alt-right now.....

Old 04-11-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
There really isn't "preppy fashion" in the same way as it was before.....it has come back...or is trying to.. but in a fresh, twisted way. Too many people associate the old preppy styles with the alt-right now.....
Right. Prep died sometime in the eighties. In the nineties, what Hilfiger and Nautica were doing wasn't conventional WASP prep in the classic sense. It was a little off. Plus Nautica was more of a maritime thing, that definitely isn't prep. Nautica was a low end yacht/sailing fashion.

OP should see "The Preppy Handbook" and see what they were doing in the sixties and seventies if he or she wants to see what the standards were then. The urban market took prep and turned it inside out and upside down.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,533 times
Dockers is preppy?

Old 04-11-2019, 03:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Right. Prep died sometime in the eighties. In the nineties, what Hilfiger and Nautica were doing wasn't conventional WASP prep in the classic sense. It was a little off. Plus Nautica was more of a maritime thing, that definitely isn't prep. Nautica was a low end yacht/sailing fashion.

OP should see "The Preppy Handbook" and see what they were doing in the sixties and seventies if he or she wants to see what the standards were then. The urban market took prep and turned it inside out and upside down.
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/5117...t=48&nav=sc-26

Preppy looks are still around, although I agree they would not be considered trendy.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/5117...t=48&nav=sc-26

Preppy looks are still around, although I agree they would not be considered trendy.
L.L.Bean has been consistent with theirs though. Even more so than Ralph Lauren, which tries to be all things to all people.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
Dockers is preppy?
Dockers is work casual. That is the only reason it is around. Levi Strauss did not want to lose that market to other brands in the nineties. Plus their jeans weren't selling as well. So they created Dockers, probably a debt situation. At the time you had Donna Karan and Hugo Boss and Liz Claiborne among others filling that void for men that didn't know how to dress for the office.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times
I was unaware anyone thought preppy was a good thing since the early 80s...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty