Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 09:30 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
In the link you posted, that model might be 250 pounds, even if she's six feet tall. Similar to this lady: https://www.mybodygallery.com/photos...4#.XIn2tyhKiUk

That website is a good way to see what different heights and weights look like.
Thank you for that link! I actually hate that everybody guesses my weight at so much lower than it actually is because I'm tall & then I always feel bad about what the actual # is. Typically you can take whatever people guess & add 30-40 lbs. Nobody ever guesses within 10 lbs. Ever.

I had an ED when I was late teens/early 20s & those charts didn't help. If I get under 130 my periods stop; that can't be healthy. I especially hate those articles that say; "Can you guess who is Obese?" & show pictures of people without any context because they go strictly off the BMI chart.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Thank you for that link! I actually hate that everybody guesses my weight at so much lower than it actually is because I'm tall & then I always feel bad about what the actual # is. Typically you can take whatever people guess & add 30-40 lbs. Nobody ever guesses within 10 lbs. Ever.

I had an ED when I was late teens/early 20s & those charts didn't help. If I get under 130 my periods stop; that can't be healthy. I especially hate those articles that say; "Can you guess who is Obese?" & show pictures of people without any context because they go strictly off the BMI chart.
You shouldn't feel bad--it's just proof that many people (especially men, if we're being honest) are terrible at estimating what women weigh. There's this pervasive idea, that we've seen in this very thread, that any woman who weighs more than 120 pounds is a "fat pig" regardless of her height, or build, or fitness level.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:49 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You shouldn't feel bad--it's just proof that many people (especially men, if we're being honest) are terrible at estimating what women weigh. There's this pervasive idea, that we've seen in this very thread, that any woman who weighs more than 120 pounds is a "fat pig" regardless of her height, or build, or fitness level.
And that there's no discernable difference between 200lbs and 600lbs. Apparently they look the same and have the same health risks.

And once you're over 150, you might as well be 600. Stay out of sight until you are fit to be seen in public.

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-17-2019 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-17-2019, 10:18 AM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
I think there should be models of all sizes they sell the clothes in, so you can see if it actually looks good on different body types before wasting your time trying it on. I don't care if it looks good on a size zero if I'm not a size zero - that doesn't help me in the least.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Overweight people should not be the standard. Never.

Unless we want a nation of people taking medication, knee replacements, and bad backs.

Speaking from someone who will probably get type 2 diabetes but is trying his hardest to push it back decades.

But again it's always about appearance, never with physical ailments that come with a lot of weight gain from the 'large' crowd isn't it?

What a joke.
I think that's because of denial ("Small people get diabetes, heart disease, and cancer like anyone else") and defensiveness. People with weight problems but hardly feeling the physical consequences (yet) don't think much about their health and instead project feelings about looks onto others. Honestly, again, I am bothered by the aesthetics of excess weight and don't care about health of overweight total strangers, but I care how it lowers society's well-being and they should care about their health (I've had bouts of pain myself) and apparently the most effective way to motivate them is to make them feel inferior, in a correctable way, to their peers. A society that says it's okay to look quite heavy removes their main motivation to stay fit. Ergo, overweight models are generally a bad thing.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think there should be models of all sizes they sell the clothes in, so you can see if it actually looks good on different body types before wasting your time trying it on. I don't care if it looks good on a size zero if I'm not a size zero - that doesn't help me in the least.
Stores can't afford to have models for every garment in every size; that's silly. And if they show a size 2 and a size 22, is someone who is a 10 going to complain that she doesn't know how it will look on her?

Old 03-17-2019, 10:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Stores can't afford to have models for every garment in every size; that's silly. And if they show a size 2 and a size 22, is someone who is a 10 going to complain that she doesn't know how it will look on her?
Agreed....but why is it important to have 2 as the default? I don't think anyone is advocating that all models should be plus sized, just that there should be a variety (including tall and petite) and that at the very least, plus sized clothing (including undergarments and swimsuits) should be modeled by plus sized women since that is the marketing target. The petite clothing should also, of course be modeled by truly petite women for the same reason.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:03 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
But I'd prefer that companies pay attention to discussions like this and not force consumers not browsing for those product categories to see the obesity-acceptance advertising.
Forced to see? There is usually an option at the top or left-hand side of a website, where there is an option to "filter by" & you can select "size"; thereby sparing you from "seeing" anything.

It works, I use it frequently. I'm in the market for flattering activewear right now; I'm not interested in "seeing" 8-year-olds or men, in activewear.

For print advertising; are you saying that plus-sized clothing should be featured in segregated circulars? Maybe wrapped in brown paper or with a warning label: "This circular contains photographs of fat women wearing clothing sizes 18+ available for purchase (the clothing, not the women). This is for promotional purposes only (the clothing, not being fat)." Maybe require an ID to obtain? Must be 200+lbs as stated on your drivers' license?

I mean, what in the actual **** is going on here? It's not "obesity-acceptance advertising", any more than the Swiffer commercials are "advocating" for bi-racial couples, or Tide laundry soap is "advocating" for single-father households. It's called marketing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 AM

41,944 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
"Models" like Tess Holiday don't promote a healthy lifestyle nor do they make me want to buy clothing.
Are you Tess Holliday's size? If not, her ads are not aimed at you.

Either way, the aim of clothing ads has nothing to do with health, yours or anyone else's definition. Clothing ads exist to sell clothes. Nothing more.

Quote:
Nobody said she should promote a healthy lifestyle. Nobody said Target and other retailers should promote a healthy lifestyle. Nobody said obese women should be recluses. Probably most onlookers would concede that fat acceptance is a natural defensive reaction by overweight people. However, none of that excuses actively condoning unwellness for profit. It's almost as bad as cigarette advertising.
You do realize that this paragraph contains contradictions of immense proportions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Okay sure, I'll own up to it and be honest, she's fat and I don't think it's attractive.
She doesn't care what you think.

Quote:
Underwear and swimsuit modeling aren't fitness modeling, where a supposed goal is to encourage wellness, but they're close. To have a retailer doing the opposite rubs people the wrong way, even when eyes aren't being offended. I've gotten more reps for posts in here than I usually get. Target and others should wonder if such stunts truly win more customers than they lose.
Now you're making even less sense than before. Underwear and swimsuits aren't manufactured to "encourage wellness", not even close.

Obviously, since Target is inclusive with who it chooses to model its clothes, it's not rubbing anyone the wrong way. Except maybe you, and I doubt they'll miss you.

And nobody cares about your reps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You’re just making yourself look silly at this point.
*snort* Can't rep you again just yet for this.

Quote:
Also, look it up - swimming is one of the least effective activities for weight loss.
You look it up - swimming burns a respectable number of calories, is easy on the joints; the water provides resistance and ease of movement at the same time. Swimming and water sports are a good choice for anyone.

Quote:
That's just bile, and I don't think many people have a problem seeing overweight nearly fully-clothed individuals in the gym.
You believe this because you want to feel better about yourself, and because you're not an overweight person in a gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I can't fathom how anyone finds fat, attractive.
You know what they say: Beauty is skin deep, but ugliness goes clear to the bone. It's easier to lose weight than it is to become a person who isn't ugly to their fellow human beings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And people DO ***** about obese people wearing tight clothes (like a swimsuit) in the gym. But even more frequently, they rag on obese people who dare to wear a swimsuit in public at a public swimming pool or at the beach. Not all exercise is performed in a gym!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrailertrash View Post
Call me naive, I actually didn't realize just how judgmental some people were until this forum. It's amazing. We all have different struggles, but no one is perfect. It doesn't hurt to show a little bit of empathy for your fellow human beings, ya know.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Overweight people should not be the standard.
Wherever did anyone in this thread say that?

Quote:
But again it's always about appearance, never with physical ailments that come with a lot of weight gain from the 'large' crowd isn't it?

What a joke.
The joke's on you, because the topic of this thread is advertising, specifically underwear advertising from Target. D'oh!

Old 03-17-2019, 11:41 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Now you're making even less sense than before. Underwear and swimsuits aren't manufactured to "encourage wellness", not even close.
Historically, being seen in underwear has always been linked to looking good. Swimming is a wellness activity, as you indicate below.

Quote:
You look it up - swimming burns a respectable number of calories, is easy on the joints; the water provides resistance and ease of movement at the same time. Swimming and water sports are a good choice for anyone.
Not for weight loss. Apparently, it leads to compensatory hunger.

Edit: is it a contradiction about suggesting shaming overweight people and saying they shouldn't be reclusive? Yes. But they should go out, and maybe a problem today 'feeding' the epidemic is that people can easily isolate themselves. I think health insurance companies should collaborate more with gyms to get obese people as members, probably at little or no cost. If Target and other companies want to have models in plus-sized swimwear, they should show them being active, like actually wading into water.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-17-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.