Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 02:48 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But is there any evidence customers are jumping ship?
I suspect that like with the Ikea ads featuring a gay couple or the Cheerios commercial with an interracial family, whatever outrage the campaign generates in some is offset by the publicity and good will that is generated in the underrepresented community depicted.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:49 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,914 times
An interesting talk about Ugliness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbxinUJcLGg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post

Trust me when I looked good, I was well aware of it. And used it to my advantage. I warrant THAT bothers your feminist sensibilities as well.
"Feminist sensibilities" offended? No. That is a character issue. There's a difference between being aware that your looks are helping you get ahead (what can you do? It is what it is) and relying on it and getting an advantage you ordinarily would not get (or really, warrant) without the looks. On one hand, if someone can dupe shallow people who value looks that much, more power to them. On the other hand, if they can't get ahead without their looks (because their other assets are just not up to par) then that's pathetic.

I'm not assuming anything about how you "used" your looks to your advantage. I'm just saying that it's not unheard of to witness otherwise incompetent (but attractive) people "get ahead" because of looks and it's pitiful for two reasons: 1) It won't last, and then what will they do? Have they been planning ahead? Are they cultivating some sort of ability to compensate for the time when their looks fade? 2) They aren't actually that qualified and they are selfishly taking a spot that could be occupied by someone competent (exploiting the stupidity of the person who favored them because of their looks) and that earns them some contempt.

Quote:
Those who pretend everyone is beautiful cannot handle reality. These delusional folk tend to call Plain Janes "beautiful" and ordinary women "amazing".
You sound annoyed or angry that some people find beauty where you do not. "Delusional"? Because you don't think they're beautiful, anyone who does is "delusional"? The guy in the video I posted—is his wife "delusional" if she sees his beauty? Is the artist who painted the famous painting of him, is he delusional if he saw any beauty in that man?

I can understand if people are demanding that you find beauty where you don't see it, but just them seeing it? That's none of your business and you getting vexed by it sounds odd.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:11 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Also, your statement earlier that dwarves are hideous was . . . incredibly shallow.
It sounds cruel to me.

Peter Dinklage is hideous? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
not meaning to derail this thread but my mom is 70 going on 71 and she still has it going on. She's dresses very fashionably. She still gets the compliments. Sure she's aged but an attractive woman can still be attractive regardless of age, if she dresses well, exudes confidence, and maintains herself well.
Very true.

My mom raised my siblings and me to not rely on our beauty. I have never felt like much of a beauty anyway, but when/if I experience "advantages," I am oblivious.

My mom was a very attractive woman and always, even as she aged, looked far younger than her real age. I never saw her take advantage of it, and in part I think it was because she was so well known in our community for her talents and she focused on that. (Always playing the piano, that's what I remember from my childhood—my mom playing Chopin for hours and hours and hours!) When you focus on improving what's inside all your life, the transition to middle and old age probably isn't as difficult. The attention you enjoy from your looks isn't the major perk in your life.

That's the reason why I think some attractive women get so butthurt when they see that "ugly" women aren't being as stigmatized as they used to be. That one big "advantage" that they took for granted has now been diminished. Let's be honest, though—attractive women will always get treated better than plainer women—but if plainer women aren't actively being treated as badly as they used to, somehow that is also upsetting to some attractive women. Which sounds so petty, but there it is.

Fortunately, many attractive women don't feel this way, (my mom didn't, and my pretty friends don't) but yes, it's a thing.

I was looking through my list of reps, and saw a message from a few years ago with someone saying that she got resentment/butthurt from some attractive girls in high school because she was a "talented Plain Jane" and the attractive girls were p*ssed—like only pretty girls should be talented—a plain girl shouldn't be allowed that. The entitlement can run deep.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Back on topic...

While at Target today, I ended up looking at the lingerie department. So many choices, and lots of pretty, lacy bras in a variety of colors. And they were all under $20! The quality seemed fine, and considering I've bought $50+ bras that barely lasted a year before the underwire broke, I'll be happy if a $15 Target bra lasted 6 months. Quality seemed fine though, so I expect it to last about as long as any other bra I have.

I typically don't bother looking at the lingerie section, as they never had my size in anything but plain white or beige bras before. But now that I know I can buy pretty bras, I'll be checking them out more.

So for me, the ads definitely worked. Especially since I actually paid attention to the ads and knew they weren't just advertising a plus size lingerie line, but rather a lingerie line with more sizing options.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But is there any evidence customers are jumping ship?
It's too soon for anyone to know, unless website traffic or mailing list subscribers plunged.

Quote:
I'm sure you're not alone. And I'm sure you and those who think like you are probably outliers and not significant enough to a company's bottom line to make a difference. For most people their first loyalty in a consumer-vendor relationship is to their own pocketbook. There are companies whose owners may share my personal values but if that company does not deal in a product I need or desire I'm not spending my money there. Likewise a company may offer a product I like enough that I'm not worried about the company's stance on issues that don't align to my own values.
Target doesn't have a rabid fan base, as far as I know, and - per the unmentioned factor of geographic convenience - I don't think it's the only option for many people. If the advertising is off-putting, why stick around?

Old 03-20-2019, 06:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I ordered Lee jeans off their website - Lee riders classic fit straight leg are hard to find in retail outlets.

When I went to their website to choose my jeans, the model for that specific type of jeans was about 40 pounds overweight.

If I didn't already know for sure what jeans I wanted, and what size, there is no way I would have bought them. That pic did NOT sell them.

Although I can see if I were overweight, that pick might have sold them to me.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It's too soon for anyone to know, unless website traffic or mailing list subscribers plunged.

Target doesn't have a rabid fan base, as far as I know, and - per the unmentioned factor of geographic convenience - I don't think it's the only option for many people. If the advertising is off-putting, why stick around?
You are mistaken. People choose camps, Walmart or Target. And Target fans are pretty devoted. Target is generally more popular in urban and/or upscale areas.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:

Target doesn't have a rabid fan base
, as far as I know, and - per the unmentioned factor of geographic convenience - I don't think it's the only option for many people. If the advertising is off-putting, why stick around?
You clearly do not live with a woman, do you?

Old 03-20-2019, 06:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Target doesn't have a rabid fan base
LOL, that statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:32 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
How is this thread still going? Talk about beating a dead horse

overweight people exist in this world. They need clothes, spend money on clothes, and so they are marketed to.

/thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty