Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 06:59 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times

Advertisements

I have a big fluffy terry cloth robe for mornings while drinking coffee and listening to the news and to wear after showers.
I have a lightweight robe that I wear late nights kicking around the house until bed time after.
I wear a robe daily. But then I don't even own a pair of pajamas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 07:45 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
My husband loves his robes. Mostly in the winter, though, and only ever at home. He also likes loose, comfy pajamas!

Old 08-29-2019, 08:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
I have never owned a bathrobe and the last pajamas I wore was in early elementary school. I have never seen someone at a pool in a bathrobe. I swim laps at a Y and I shower before and after I swim. When would I put a bathrobe on?

Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 AM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Maybe the OP is looking for something like what James was wearing in 1964 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDdIL0tSeI

Old 08-29-2019, 10:48 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe the OP is looking for something like what James was wearing in 1964 ?

Ah yes, Sean Connery in the infamous terry cloth playsuit he wore in Goldfinger. But that was a playsuit, and this was the actual swimsuit he wore in that movie, and he wore it well.
I guess I should be posting it in the OP's Speedo thread, but what the hey, I have nothing to say there.

https://www.bondsuits.com/the-infamo...it-goldfinger/

Old 08-29-2019, 11:20 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
I don't wear or have any bathrobes as they would be just one more clothing item to have to worry about/clean/buy/etc. I get by just fine without them.

Note, even as a kid when my mother bought them for us, I never really got much use out of them.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:41 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
The idea of wearing a bath towel as clothing is VERY off putting to me and i feel like i dont want my wet body dampening the rob and then sitting n my dry clean bed. No no no. I feel like id have to wash tit every day or itll become smelly an mildewy smelling.

In addition to this it seems almost inappropriate or comical because when I see a robe I imagine the guys naked underneath and thats creepy.

Its also not that versatile lets say I have to clean the house-a robe is too drapey/heavy and in the way. If i have guest coing over soon i cant wear the robe because they might see it as inappropriate. I cant sleep in a robe-so why put it on? I cant shower and go out in the robe. I see no practical purpose for a robe if it just serves the same purpose oas a towel but is more cumbersome, committal and dated.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:39 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh? I have one on right now. But I don't wear a robe OVER anything...I wear it when I am at home, and in between times when I am dressed.

I have no idea what a "swim parka" is...but I don't know anyone that wears a bathrobe at the pool. That's kinda weird.

And that's mostly what the OP is talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Bathrobes are only for after a shower at home? But someone here just said they're normal to wear to the pool on a cruise. How's wearing a robe to the pool at the cruise different from wearing a robe to your local pool?
Because almost no one does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I only wear a robe in the winter. First thing I do when I get up in the morning is put on my slippers and fluffy ankle length robe, turn up the thermostat and then go make the coffee. The robe doesn't come off until my place has warmed up, I've had my coffee, and I'm ready to start my day.

That depends where and who you are and what kind of culture you come from. So you can't generalize like that on behalf of all other people.

A robe at home is far different than at the pool or going commando.

YOU don't wear a bathrobe to the pool. But many others do, either for modesty or practicality.

Go visit a mountain hot springs resort for vacation in the middle of a freezing, snowy winter. You'll see that every single one of the guests will wear the resort robes over their swimsuits to go to and from the pools. Warm terry booties and head wraps too. Otherwise they'd get icicles growing on them to and from the pools.
We are not talking about being on a mountain top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have never owned a bathrobe and the last pajamas I wore was in early elementary school. I have never seen someone at a pool in a bathrobe. I swim laps at a Y and I shower before and after I swim. When would I put a bathrobe on?
This.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,642,353 times
I gave my husband a bathrobe last Christmas and I think he has worn it once! Come to think of it, I don't wear mine anymore either. What's the point?

Old 08-29-2019, 01:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
For whatever reason, people don't seem to wear bathrobes that much anymore over their pajamas, especially among men. It almost seems like some men think bathrobes are girly.

I see nothing girly about it, as a straight guy. I wear my bathrobe all the time in the winter, and even to the pool. When you just come out of the shower, it's much warmer and more convenient not to have to dry off and dress up immediately, but just to go commando under a bathrobe and let the bathrobe dry you off. Also great when worn over pajamas to keep you warm, especially since I wear gym clothes as pj's.

In the summer, I wear my bathrobe over my speedo to and from the lap pool. It serves as a great bathing suit cover-up, much more secure than wrapping a towel around your waist. You don't even need a towel, you can just get out of the pool, put on your bathrobe, and let the bathrobe dry you as you go back home. Keeps you plenty warm, too, and you can put your goggles, bathing cap, bathing suit, comb, or small towel in your bathrobe pocket. I see fellow lap swimmers wear parkas over their swimsuits. With a bathrobe, why would you even need a swim parka?

In the end, I find bathrobes very versatile--as a towel, as pajamas, as a swimsuit cover-up. They can be worn with slippers at home or with flip flops or crocs to the pool. They're not girly--they're robes, and kings wear robes. But I feel plush, comfy, and luxurious when I wear my solid blue, calf-length bathrobe--it feels like I'm at an expensive resort, lounging by the pool.
If they are being sold in stores, they are likely being worn. You are wearing one, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty