Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:34 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN1938 View Post
I'm a guy. If it hurts don't wear it,I'd like that!
Ken
I wish I could get away with that. I don't wear one in the house, and my male neighbors who drop by don't seem offended, LOL.

But, during any physical activity, being "loose" is not comfortable either.

We just CAN'T WIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Have you ever shopped here before?; https://www.barenecessities.com/sear...61468&msg=Bras

Bare Necessities.

I'm larger than you are, and my favorite bra comes from this place. Lift, separation, and PRETTY comfortable. All things considered.

Here's a cross back style that maybe might work for you?
https://www.barenecessities.com/glam...=Glamorise1246
These look great! Thanks so much. I'm really wary of online without being able to try it on, though...but it may come down to that.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When was the last time you were measured? A bra fitter once told me that if your straps are sliding down, it's because you're probably wearing the wrong band size (so you might really be a 36DDD or a 40D.)
Couple years ago at Nordstrom and another dept. store. They were tight and uncomfortable but they talked me into it, saying it was just stiff and new...SIGH. Once home, the straps fell down and after 1/2 hour, really uncomfortable. Yeah, I've had sizes from 36 to 42, sheesh!

Old 09-18-2019, 02:40 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well, I hate trying them on in the store. And I really don't like "personal assistants" who think they know better than you do, what size and what style you need.
Oh....I just say “no ty I’m good” if they ask.....I like to do my own thing too. If you know a brand or style you like....you can just order online. I like variety & trying stuff tho....because different brands fit me differently...and...I thought it would be more helpful to O.P. to try on several since she is wanting to find something comfy for her.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Couple years ago at Nordstrom and another dept. store. They were tight and uncomfortable but they talked me into it, saying it was just stiff and new...SIGH. Once home, the straps fell down and after 1/2 hour, really uncomfortable. Yeah, I've had sizes from 36 to 42, sheesh!
Don’t let anyone talk you into anything.......& you can measure yourself at home.....you can google how.....

Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
These look great! Thanks so much. I'm really wary of online without being able to try it on, though...but it may come down to that.

You're welcome! I hope it works out for you. :-)

Old 09-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
One of my relatives is large chested and always had enormous problems getting a bra that fit. She finally went to a lingerie specialty shop and discovered that the size that she usually wore (I think a 36 DDD) was way off.

They measured her and discovered that she actually needed a 32 or 34 G or H (or something like that). Department stores, even many large women specialty stores, never carry that size (band size too small & cup size too large for almost all women). She bought a brand called Elomi and says that their bras are the most comfortable that she has ever worn. I think that Elomi Matilda Convertible Plunge Bra can be worn as a criss cross back.

Good luck. Post back if you are successful.
Ermygosh....how does she find fashionable clothes....lingerie...or ANY clothes....to fit? I tell myself the rewards of being smaller now....is less sag when I’m older & clothes look better IMO. Gotta have a bright side....

Old 09-18-2019, 02:49 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
I'm very short and very wide, with sloped shoulders, so only racerback bra straps stay on my shoulders. It's annoying because most of my tops have very wide, open necklines that show the straps, but I'd rather have straps showing that deal with constantly falling straps.
Another issue I have is that I have rheumatoid arthritis and have lost a lot of range of motion in my shoulders, elbows, wrists and hands, so I have to wear a front-close bra. And I prefer an underwire.
I wear a Leading Lady brand bra that I buy from Amazon, or Hanes. I'ts a wonderful bra but the underwires tend to pop out after only a few months of wear - and that's alternating among 4 or 5 bras.
Bali did make an almost perfect bra - racerback, front close, slightly padded. The underwires did not pop out nearly as quickly. But of course Bali quit making the bra as a racerback and now makes it only as a regular strap and then stops at I think size 44C.
I dearly wish I could have a bra custom made. It would be worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ermygosh....how does she find fashionable clothes....lingerie...or ANY clothes....to fit? I tell myself the rewards of being smaller now....is less sag when I’m older & clothes look better IMO. Gotta have a bright side....
There are precious few fashionable clothes or lingerie for women of my size and age. Most clothes in plus sizes are butt-ugly or made of inferior materials. I'm sorry, but a rayon-polyester-Spandex mix is a nasty feeling material, hot in the summer and cold in the winter, that clings to every roll and bump. When I find a nice item of clothing, I literally wear it until it practically shreds.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:01 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Bare Necessities has a 60 day return period, which is great. I buy my bras there, even though I don't wear any unusual size, but I do like a bra that has good side coverage. They have a great selection of all kinds of women's underthings, and the prices are good too.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:18 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,329,814 times
Good Lord! I thought I was the only one.

None of them is comfortable, be it a Maidenform, Triumph, Calvin Klein and some other foreign brands.
I have switched to mostly the tank tops of 2-piece swimsuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty