Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 10:30 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I asked a friend who owns a couple of rolexes. He said some people know it’s a nice watch when he goes out to a nice upscale dinner or bar. He said some men will compliment him with it. Many women he dates say they noticed it, but didn’t want to mention it for fear of being perceived as a gold digger type.
:
Me personally, I wear a Fitbit . I can’t tell a 10k Rolex from a 99 replica. But I would imagine in circles I don’t frequent people can readily tell quality. I own a Ferrari, but wear clothes from Costco and Walmart. I guess it just depends what you are into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Interesting. I asked a friend who owns a couple of rolexes. He said some people know it’s a nice watch when he goes out to a nice upscale dinner or bar. He said some men will compliment him with it. Many women he dates say they noticed it, but didn’t want to mention it for fear of being perceived as a gold digger type.
:
Me personally, I wear a Fitbit . I can’t tell a 10k Rolex from a 99 replica. But I would imagine in circles I don’t frequent people can readily tell quality. I own a Ferrari, but wear clothes from Costco and Walmart. I guess it just depends what you are into.
Very true. One small point: I'll bet that if I handed you a real Rolex and a cheapy replica, I'll bet you could tell the difference. Sure, some of the replicas are getting pretty good but, most of the time, even if you can't tell the difference, you have a pretty decent chance of feeling the difference. Otherwise, for the best chance, you may need a higher powered loupe at which point, the differences are obvious if you know what to look for when looking at the movement. Most rubes think there's no reason for one manufacturer to charge more when the internals and materials are similar but in reality, there's a lot of effort which goes into fit and finish of the movement itself.

Edit: Here's a tolerable video with a substory. The presenter goes through great pains to show the difference but, the better part is that this guy himself was busted by watch enthusiasts for selling and cheating buyers out of hard-earned funds. Got time to waste? Google "Horology House scandal".

If someone in the market for a particular watch, most forums have "trusted sellers". For example, the TRF (The Rolex Forum) is fairly safe as is Davidsw. I've purchased watches from both and have no affiliation other than one as a happy customer.

Enjoy your car!

Last edited by k7baixo; 02-10-2020 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 12:17 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
I like watches, so I always notice someone wearing one, but I don't know how to determine how much a watch costs just from looking at it, and I don't want to put someone on the spot by asking them. I've seen fancy watches that I thought were thousands until I looked at the price tag and it said $200.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:40 PM

102 posts, read 72,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I like watches, so I always notice someone wearing one, but I don't know how to determine how much a watch costs just from looking at it, and I don't want to put someone on the spot by asking them. I've seen fancy watches that I thought were thousands until I looked at the price tag and it said $200.
This is what’s unfortunate about the watch industry. There are great looking watches that are affordable. Yet most people think that a decent watch is unreasonably expensive.

Here’s my Orient Bambino.

A friend of mine commented that he liked it. I told him that he’d never guess how much it costs. He guessed $500.
The MSRP was $350 but has since been marked down to $150. It’s available on Amazon and other grey market retailers for under $120. That's an insane steal for an automatic watch from a traditional well-respected Japanese watch brand.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:51 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
I will never buy a Rolex, but I inherited one from my dad. His company presented him with an 18k Day-Date on his 10th anniversary, so I imagine this is a unit from 1999, I have not taken it to be appraised because at this point I don't think it matters because I will never let go of it. I am just as sentimental about my grandfather's watch, which is simply a Fossil with the company logo screened on the dial. It is an aluminum company which no longer goes by that name.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Trust me, almost nobody ever notices. The "almost" refers to other watch enthusiasts. I wear either a Rolex or Panerai every day and I can literally count on two hands the number of comments that people have made over the years, and all of them knew exactly which model I was wearing and were wearing something equally nice. The good news is that all of them are worth at least twice what I paid, so there's that. As for passing them on to your kid, my son will have my watches on Ebay before I assume room temperature.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:58 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Trust me, almost nobody ever notices. The "almost" refers to other watch enthusiasts. I wear either a Rolex or Panerai every day and I can literally count on two hands the number of comments that people have made over the years, and all of them knew exactly which model I was wearing and were wearing something equally nice. The good news is that all of them are worth at least twice what I paid, so there's that. As for passing them on to your kid, my son will have my watches on Ebay before I assume room temperature.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:14 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
I would personally think that the guy either has so much money he doesn't care how much things cost, OR more likely, that he wants to impress people and is dumb enough to waste thousands on something unnecessarily to boost his ego. In other words...an insecure poser.

My cousin bought her hubby, a wealthy guy who has a booming business paving over what raw land is left in the western end of the Inland Empire, a beautiful Rolex. A year later he found out that to keep the warrantee he had to have it serviced annually at over $500 a year. He immediately sold it. Smart guy.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:27 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
For that matter, why do we have more than one or two pairs of underwear? I mean, we can always wash a pair out in the sink, right?
Jake from Two and a half Men says he just wears his inside out to get an extra week.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:02 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I would personally think that the guy either has so much money he doesn't care how much things cost, OR more likely, that he wants to impress people and is dumb enough to waste thousands on something unnecessarily to boost his ego. In other words...an insecure poser.

My cousin bought her hubby, a wealthy guy who has a booming business paving over what raw land is left in the western end of the Inland Empire, a beautiful Rolex. A year later he found out that to keep the warrantee he had to have it serviced annually at over $500 a year. He immediately sold it. Smart guy.
How long ago was this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty