Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2020, 02:19 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Unless it is a fake ROLEX.
yeah, I would not know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 02:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I notice watches sometimes. If it is a piece of jewelry like Rolex rather than a precision timekeeping piece I may come to the conclusion the wearer is all show and trendy/materialistic. However i have been away from the NAWCC for so long, I no longer remember much about watches other than Rolex is just jewelry and basically a comparatively terrible timepiece (all show and no go). Rolex definitely leaves a negative impression. if I happen to recognize a fine timepiece, I might be impressed with their knowledge and appreciation for the art/engineering that goes into a precise mechanical watch. If it is a fancy electronic watch I tend to think the opposite (they have no understanding or appreciation for a fine precision timepiece and just want a smart phone with a tiny screen that you cannot see strapped to their wrist). So I guess my impression would be impractical techno-geek wants to be seen with the latest technology strapped to them.

Personally I do not wear a watch. i think they are cumbersome and impractical. Plus I break them. Not sure way, but any watch of any type that ii wear will stop working in a matter of a few days.
Walked into Mayor's Jewelers in Atlanta, where it seems that an entire wing is dedicated to Rolex. I would say 2/3 (eyeballing it, significantly greater than half) of the displays for watches were empty. Not only did they pedestalize each watch in a space where 10 or more would sit in any lesser jewelry store, the reserved "pillows" were mostly empty!

Does anyone know if they're "flying off the shelves" or this is just a tactic, or perhaps latent restocking?

Old 02-07-2020, 02:52 PM

102 posts, read 72,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
...If it is a piece of jewelry like Rolex rather than a precision timekeeping piece I may come to the conclusion the wearer is all show and trendy/materialistic. ...I no longer remember much about watches other than Rolex is just jewelry and basically a comparatively terrible timepiece (all show and no go). Rolex definitely leaves a negative impression...
This is where the marketing of the entire traditional watch industry has failed society.

When a typical person thinks of an expensive watch, the brand Rolex comes to mind. And the brand Rolex tends to be associated with flashy gold and diamond encrusted pieces that rappers would wear in music videos.

In reality, this is far from the truth. It's true that a typical Rolex watch is rather expensive. Honestly, it's priced way out of my budget. But it's expensive not because of the gold or diamonds. Those watches are either fake or custom-made. Look up a real normal Rolex like the Datejust or the Submariner. They're very understated and classy. You'd never notice it on someone's wrist. And they're all certified chronometers so they tend to be pretty darn precise when it comes to timekeeping.

Also, I feel I should point out that "precision timekeeping" is not the purpose of mechanical watches. If you want precision timekeeping, just get an inexpensive quartz watch. Any battery powered quartz watch will inherently be more precise than even the most expensive mechanical watch. You'll easily be precise within a couple seconds per month while even the most precise mechanical watch will be off a couple seconds per DAY.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
This is where the marketing of the entire traditional watch industry has failed society.

When a typical person thinks of an expensive watch, the brand Rolex comes to mind. And the brand Rolex tends to be associated with flashy gold and diamond encrusted pieces that rappers would wear in music videos.

In reality, this is far from the truth. It's true that a typical Rolex watch is rather expensive. Honestly, it's priced way out of my budget. But it's expensive not because of the gold or diamonds. Those watches are either fake or custom-made. Look up a real normal Rolex like the Datejust or the Submariner. They're very understated and classy. You'd never notice it on someone's wrist. And they're all certified chronometers so they tend to be pretty darn precise when it comes to timekeeping.

Also, I feel I should point out that "precision timekeeping" is not the purpose of mechanical watches. If you want precision timekeeping, just get an inexpensive quartz watch. Any battery powered quartz watch will inherently be more precise than even the most expensive mechanical watch. You'll easily be precise within a couple seconds per month while even the most precise mechanical watch will be off a couple seconds per DAY.
I'm comfortable spending a few hundred, not thousand, on an watch that I never need to fiddle with, ever. I have found an amazing example by Citizen that is both atomic-synced and solar powered. https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...B0168-08E.html

Old 02-07-2020, 03:02 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Unless it is a fake ROLEX.
Not to mention, designs are copied. I had a classic Timex for 20+ years, and it’s a copy of a Rolex. I didn’t know that, until a customer at the bank I worked at asked me why I was wearing a Rolex. I corrected her I said no it’s a Timex she asked to look at it she said “well, so it is.“

But my curiosity got the better of me and I went looking at Rolexes. And there it was. Which is why I started calling my Timex my Fauxlex. And apparently they’ve started making them again. Except this one’s bigger. And mine had the champagne colored dial. I didn’t try to replace this when it finally died, because the champagne dial with the yellow gold toned hands was difficult to see as I got older. I needed more contrast in the face and the hands.

https://www.timex.com/waterbury-lega...ellers#start=1

Old 02-07-2020, 03:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not to mention, designs are copied. I had a classic Timex for 20+ years, and it’s a copy of a Rolex. I didn’t know that, until a customer at the bank I worked at asked me why I was wearing a Rolex. I corrected her I said no it’s a Timex she asked to look at it she said “well, so it is.“

But my curiosity got the better of me and I went looking at Rolexes. And there it was. Which is why I started calling my Timex my Fauxlex. And apparently they’ve started making them again. Except this one’s bigger. And mine had the champagne colored dial. I didn’t try to replace this when it finally died, because the champagne dial with the yellow gold toned hands was difficult to see as I got older. I needed more contrast in the face and the hands.

https://www.timex.com/waterbury-lega...ellers#start=1
Also, I’ve learned I have a distinct preference for leather watch bands and not metal bracelets. The metal bracelets feel very sticky to me and annoy the living daylights out of me.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:04 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
Why do you even need watches anymore, you have cellphones. Maybe for jewelry?
That is what my thinking is, but I am not a jewelry person (haven't worn a wristwatch in decades, not even my wedding ring in years).

I guess I would notice that they are wearing a watch, but wouldn't know if it is expensive.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:21 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post

Not entirely true... The Datejust can be had in a very basic form with the band being stainless steel as well as the case, with no diamonds at all, or you can buy them with a band, case, bezel, etc, all made out of 18k gold. Still the same watch and mechanism, but made from more expensive materials. That's why a basic Datejust will run you $5k but a gold one with diamonds can run higher than $30k.

I'd also disagree with your assessment that mechanical watches are not about precision timekeeping... Before quartz and battery powered watches, it was a testament to the skill and craftsmanship of the watchmaker to make a mechanical watch that could keep accurate time as closely as possible. The most expensive mechanical watches are very accurate, typically +/- 1 sec per day. My Omega is +1.6 sec per day. Junk mechanical watches can be off by almost a minute per day (the worst I've ever seen was +42 sec per day.)

Quartz is more accurate, absolutely. But that's also why they're a lot cheaper than mechanical watches, there is no precision craftsmanship at work.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM

102 posts, read 72,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm comfortable spending a few hundred, not thousand, on an watch that I never need to fiddle with, ever. I have found an amazing example by Citizen that is both atomic-synced and solar powered. https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...B0168-08E.html
Not a bad choice. Of course, to each their own. But if I'm being honest, I like the blue dial version better just because it seems easier to dress up or down with.
https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...B0160-51L.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
Why do you even need watches anymore, you have cellphones. Maybe for jewelry?
Lots of scenarios where using a cellphone to check the time is impossible/impractical/awkward/etc:
  • When swimming.
  • When exercising.
  • When your hands aren't free.
  • When you're in school.
  • When you're running to catch a train/bus/plane.
  • When you're phone is dead.
  • When you're in a meeting.

Also, for men in particular, the watch completes the outfit.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:36 PM

Guy's POV here,

I have noticed a trend with ladies' watches as of late: they are no longer the 1/2" wide dainty straps of yore, but the large, statement bezel, fashion watches (such as ones with the big, blingy "MK" logo).

I can't say I'm disappointed. As a utilitarian person, you (I) don't want something that looks frail (or I wouldn't imagine someone would).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty