Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 10:04 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,755 times

Advertisements

Since a few have asked, here's the watch I'm looking at. Retails for about $5650. Black ceramic case, embossed leather strap. I like IWC because (IMO) they produce elegant yet subtle watches that don't scream, "Look at my expensive watch!" but is a brand that knowledgeable watch fans know and respect.

https://hodinkee.imgix.net/uploads/i...Save-Data&alt=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 10:13 AM

1,462 posts, read 973,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Since a few have asked, here's the watch I'm looking at. Retails for about $5650. Black ceramic case, embossed leather strap. I like IWC because (IMO) they produce elegant yet subtle watches that don't scream, "Look at my expensive watch!" but is a brand that knowledgeable watch fans know and respect.

IWC make some really nice watches. I like their Portugieser line. And I really like the blue dial on your pilot's watch. The way the dial will pop in differing lights is cool.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:17 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
That he's wasting his money: check the time on your cell phone, buddy!

Old 02-06-2020, 10:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
That he's wasting his money: check the time on your cell phone, buddy!
There are plenty of times checking your cell phone for the time is really in bad taste, rude, or not practical at all.

Having a wrist watch allows you to subtly check the time without the obviousness of digging your phone out of your pocket, or picking up your phone and looking. Looks real great in a meeting with the higher ups.

And if I was on a date with a guy who kept his phone out on the table, let alone face up while we ate, there would not be a second date. Period.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:53 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
I don't even notice if a man has a watch on or not and definitely wouldn't know if it was expensive or not.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:10 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:

so, i'm a big design nerd in general and i love subtle, understated design. That watch is fine to me. Not totally my style but also not gaudy like a lot of watches can be. That being said, what makes that watch worth almost $6k to you, besides the design, which can be found or surpassed by multiple brands in the hundreds of dollars range?

Just asking honestly. If you are personally really into different watch movements or specific aspects of watchmaking as a hobby and that is driving you to a certain choice, fine. I have some friends who really nerd out on watches and spend some money on them. Not my thing, but I also spend money on certain things that are important to me that other people don't find important (furniture being one of my things).

But if you are mostly focused on aesthetics, there are a lot of options for significantly less out there. My favorite watch is <$200.

If you are worried about drawing attention with that watch, I don't think it will really draw much attention. It is understated and relatively plain and nothing about it looks fancy or expensive to me. It may catch the eye of someone else who is really knowledgeable about watches but I don't think anyone in the general public is going to see that watch and wonder how much money you spent on it if that's what youre worried about.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:17 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
so, i'm a big design nerd in general and i love subtle, understated design. That watch is fine to me. Not totally my style but also not gaudy like a lot of watches can be. That being said, what makes that watch almost $6k to you, besides the design, which can be found or surpassed by multiple brands in the hundreds of dollars range?

Just asking honestly. If you are personally really into different watch movements or specific aspects of watchmaking as a hobby and that is driving you to a certain choice, fine. Not my choice, but I also spend money on certain things that are important to me that other people don't find important.

But if you are mostly focused on aesthetics, there are a lot of options for significantly less out there. My favorite watch is <$200.
OK, so you've hit on my biggest hesitation. I love this watch. The blue face is stunning; the ceramic case is unique and really pretty; IWC's pilot design is simple yet perfect; and yes, I like that it is mechanical rather than quartz. There's no question it's a prettier watch than, say, this watch:

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/media/...70575733_7.png

which is as similar as I can find and under $1000. But is the IWC that much nicer?

What's your favorite watch, Sunbather? And do you have other suggestions, especially in a pilot style?

Old 02-06-2020, 11:28 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
OK, so you've hit on my biggest hesitation. I love this watch. The blue face is stunning; the ceramic case is unique and really pretty; IWC's pilot design is simple yet perfect; and yes, I like that it is mechanical rather than quartz. There's no question it's a prettier watch than, say, this watch:

which is as similar as I can find and under $1000. But is the IWC that much nicer?

What's your favorite watch, Sunbather? And do you have other suggestions, especially in a pilot style?
I'll try to get a picture of it. It is not an expensive watch but it has a very clean look and has functioned well for the 6 years I have had it. I think it may be too cheap for what you are looking for.

But, I think your last post here hits on exactly my thoughts: there are different tiers of everything. The only reason to go into the top-top tier is if you are getting something very specific out of it for the luxury cost.

Let's take my furniture nerdiness for example. Some people may think im crazy to spend $1500 on a side chair when I could spend $600 at rooms to go or even less at Target. But I am really particular about design details and prefer for all of my furniture to be handmade in the USA etc. However, there are some AMAZING chairs that I totally love the design of that cost, $2, 3, 4k+ for a single side chair. But at a certain point, what am I getting that is better than the $1500 chair? Exclusivity? The difference in the $1200 to $500 is huge to me. The difference in the $3k chair to $1500 is mariginal/luxury.

I am not trying to get you to buy a $200 watch if you are really excited about getting a watch. But I also bet you can find something if you keep looking for significantly less than $6k, unless there is something very specific about that watch. There are other websites (which i dont think I can name here) that have a lot of good sub forums that might be able to help you out better than I can.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:34 AM

102 posts, read 72,869 times
Quote:
...There's no question it's a prettier watch than, say, this watch:

Ouch. That one hurt. I'm wearing that Hammy right now. Not the black PVD version, but the classic brushed silver one.

Ever considered this Oris? To be fair, I think the IWC is nicer. But the price...

Old 02-06-2020, 11:42 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
There are plenty of times checking your cell phone for the time is really in bad taste, rude, or not practical at all.

Having a wrist watch allows you to subtly check the time without the obviousness of digging your phone out of your pocket, or picking up your phone and looking. Looks real great in a meeting with the higher ups.

And if I was on a date with a guy who kept his phone out on the table, let alone face up while we ate, there would not be a second date. Period.

Someone checking their watch is pretty noticeable to me and probably not a good sign on a date either.

I used to wear a watch when I had a job where many meetings in various parts of the building were involved and I didn't want to carry my phone with me the whole time. Making sure meetings were running on time as planned was important, but I didn't want to give off the impression that I was checking my phone constantly for messages.

Now I'm more stationary, with the time on my laptop, my landline phone, my cell phone, and on the wall clock, so I have no need to wear a watch anymore.

I like looking at expensive watches just out of curiosity, but would never waste money on one. I guess my initial impressions on seeing someone with an expensive watch would be wondering who this person was trying to impress and why. However, I'm not sure I could immediately spot the difference between an expensive watch and a normal one anyway

Ads for expensive watches are similar to those ads for expensive pens to me. I imagine all the important documents I would sign with my hand-crafted pen and all the letters I would send in ornate calligraphy..."My dearest Gwendolyn, I arrived by nightfall at the Embassy Suites. It will be a fortnight after my return that this letter will arrive."(Gaffigan)

Interesting, but not something I would purchase myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty