Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 04:58 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't notice. If they called my attention to the watch and the price, I would think they were a twit.

A guy I knew claimed that "people treat you different when you wear a Rolex". He worked as a security guard but both he and his wife worked, no kids, so had some disposable income. I always thought to myself, "How do people know if it is real or fake?"

Old 02-06-2020, 05:02 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I can't imagine many sons these days wearing a watch their father wore. Things have changed with all the new technology.
If only my dad had thought to buy a couple of these when he was overseas...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolbe.../#38afd23f509a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 05:03 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I’m not enough of a watch connoisseur to know if a watch is expensive at a glance. There are so many watches out that look expensive that I default to the they're cheap or fake versions. I guarantee you not every LV or Dolce handbag out at the mall is real.

As far as wearing a expensive watch...I don’t much care. For all I know you’re rolling with 30k in your pocket any day of the week or maxed out on your CC to buy it. Ultimately I could care less. If you enjoy wearing a expensive watch and it makes you feel good....buy it and wear it.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:43 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
I notice.

Makes me think "flake"

Same for the gold chain thing.

Or tattoo.

Cry for "look at me" help.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:01 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I never notice but if someone is really making a point of showing off - I find that ostentiatous. (sp.?)
Same here. I would say meh, shrug my shoulders and walk away.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:48 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I can't imagine many sons these days wearing a watch their father wore. Things have changed with all the new technology.
Exactly.

For some people who are millionaires or billionaires (there are many of them thought), then their sons or daughters may want the watches, rings, earrings or necklaces that cost hundreds of thousands dollars, or ten to fifty or more of thousands of dollars. Rolex means nothing to them.

In general, for common people, I notice the younger generations nowadays don't care about old materials their parents pass down for them. Their desires and tastes of things they want are not the same with the Boomers' taste. Especially for boys, they don't care about watches, rings, china sets, etc... their parents leave for them.

Look at the clothes, handbags, jewelries they wear. They are not same styles with what we liked years ago.

They are realistic. Most of them are always on the go. They just want cash, trust funds, stocks and bonds in the bank to pass down for them. And with that they can move wherever they want. In this day and age, they don't want to live in one place for long.

My sons don't even want the house (less than a million dollars, but a good house) we pass down for them. If we said we would want them to keep it, maintain it, and pass down to the next generation, so they can have a good memory about us, that would be very weird to them. They don't want a house, so they won't have to mow the lawn or shovel the snow. Whenever they want to own a property, they would want to buy an apartment or condo. With condo or apartment, they can go wherever and how long they want, they don't have to worry about hiring someone to take care of their house.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:15 AM

813 posts, read 601,152 times
I usually wear a Seiko World Timer Chronograph I bought for $87 dollars in Japan back in the late 80's.

It's no Rolex, but it works.

If you like a watch and you have the resources to pay for it, buy it.

Good luck, Rg

Old 02-06-2020, 08:18 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Do you tend to notice when a man is wearing an expensive "luxury" watch that costs thousands rather than hundreds? If so, does it lead you to formulate an impression of that person?

I'm especially interested in opinions on more subdued designs and normal-sized watches rather than large gaudy watches that are designed to attract attention.

(I have my eye on a watch that I find beautiful and would be proud to own, wear, and pass to my son some day, but do not want to draw attention to.)
To be honest, sometimes, I can't tell the difference between a $100 watch and a $1,000 watch. So my impression of a man wearing a watch that costs thousands is that he is wearing a watch. I personally don't notice things like that.

I did have one person come at me with this, "You have to wear a watch" thing and I just rolled my eyes at him.

Personally, if that is who you are, then...do it. As long as you are not breaking rules of decency or any dress code, you will be okay.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:45 AM

1,462 posts, read 973,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Do you tend to notice when a man is wearing an expensive "luxury" watch that costs thousands rather than hundreds? If so, does it lead you to formulate an impression of that person?

I'm especially interested in opinions on more subdued designs and normal-sized watches rather than large gaudy watches that are designed to attract attention.

(I have my eye on a watch that I find beautiful and would be proud to own, wear, and pass to my son some day, but do not want to draw attention to.)
I enjoy watches and I do notice what kind of watch men and women wear. If you are not into watches, which is the majority of people on the street, you will not notice what watch a person has on their wrist. The watch that a person wears does not help me to formulate any impression of that person. It just means that they may have bought a nice watch or were given it. Now some folks might want a nice watch to show off, but that is not of my concern.

OP - if you like a watch and want to buy and can afford to buy it without impacting any other aspect of your life financially, I say go for it. Wear it and enjoy it. If you son starts to get interested in watches then you can gauge his interest and maybe hand down the watch at a later milestone. I have never bought a watch thinking about handing them down to my kids. I have bought them only for me and as part of my enjoyment/interest in watch making, design and history. And they don't need to get software updates!

So what watch are you interested in OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
Not every expensive watch is large and obnoxious looking. The best watches are actually quite understated.

Here’s a Rolex Daytona. It retails at $12,400.

It’s a handsome watch that’s wonderfully balanced. It’s definitely eye-catching to anyone who appreciates watches. But to the average Joe, you’re not going to notice it. People who wear these watches are typically not trying to flaunt it to brag about their wealth. They simply appreciate horology and watchmaking.

I think the watches that you’re referring to are the ones that are the size of a baseball and blinged out with gold and diamonds. Those are just silly.

Update: I see that the original post was updated and the entire premise of the topic has changed! Just to add, don't buy a watch because of concerns of what others think about it. Buy the watch for how it makes YOU feel. That said, what's the watch that you want to pull the trigger on?
Rolex increased their prices earlier this year, so the MSRP on the Rolex Daytona is $13,150 now. But since this is a highly desired timepiece, you will be hardpressed to find it at MSRP unless you have a good relationship with you AD.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:52 AM

102 posts, read 72,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, the Rolex Daytona watch pictured is NOT subtle or tasteful.

Something like an Omega Seamaster from the 50s, now that's subtle and tasteful. Multiple dials that make you look like you think you're a pilot or race car driver - not subtle or tasteful.
I see you’re not a fan of chronographs!

Anyway, back to the OT…
I notice other people’s watches. But my thoughts are never “Wow, that’s a cheap watch” or “Wow, that’s an expensive watch”. I have exactly 4 thoughts on other people’s watches:
  • “Hmm. Nice.”
  • “Another Apple Watch. Oh well.”
  • “Oh no. A MVMT/Daniel Wellington. Poor fellow.”
  • “OMG, what is that monstrosity?! Is that a gold-colored 52mm Invicta decorated with fake diamonds?

The “Hmm. Nice” applies for anything from a Casio G-Shock to a Patek Philippe. It’s really not about how expensive your watch is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty