Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 08:36 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times

Advertisements

I also like Skechers. Memory foam -

Clogs don't hurt the back of your feet but they can be a trip hazard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 09:45 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
I would like to take designers who put the scratchy tags in the most uncomfortable places and scrub them down with Brillo pads. Let's see how *they* like it.....LOL.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:49 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Any pants that are side zipped or back zipped. Have had some embarrassing moments!

My foot comfort and ease of walk declines if wearing high heels. No more . My ankles just can't wobble gracefully.

My bras are either too constraint or else the sports ones ride up and slap me!! And I'm well formed so to speak. So it's another weird and awkward moment. But hey I do get a work out. Down puppies! Down .

Old 04-17-2020, 10:28 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
YES! Some casual tee shirts I have don't have tags but the size and brand written or stamped on the
material. I think it's a great idea. My skin is sensitive - turns beet red easily. And the edges of some
of those tags hurt like heck.

I'm not crazy about wide necks where you know one of your bra straps is showing so you have to
constantly pull the shirt over to cover it! That's annoying. I'm also not crazy about layering - having to
wear a camisole under a sheer top.

I'm not large on top, even so, I stay away from crushing sports bras! Too much compression.

*I'm fair and swim and do aqua-size. I bought several long sleeve rash guards from Land's End. They are sleek
and comfortable. Even good for exercising - they have sunscreen built in. Some cute colors & patterns, I even
personalize them with little characters on the bottom (sunshine, cupcake, sailboat). They are also
easy to pack if you are traveling.
Years ago when leggings first came out, they were not compressiony. I recently bought a pair and it feels like I’m wearing a girdle — they went back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I know I'm in the minority, especially with younger women, but I love pantyhose. L'eggs are still sold and I bought a pair not too long ago, but you're right - no commercials that I can recall recently. I love the smooth line they give me under a skirt or dress and they hide imperfections on my legs.
If I have to wear a dress, I’m wearing hose. I don’t feel appropriately dressed without it. Also my shoes cause problems if I don’t wear hose or socks — they give me blisters, they rub, they’re just not comfortable. But I have basically told everybody that my days of dresses is over. And my family just has to suck it up. You can be perfectly acceptable dressed in nice pants.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:17 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I can deal with leggings, tights, or hose OK. But I cannot, absolutely cannot wear heels. Not low heels, not wedges, nothing that shifts my weight to the front of the foot, at all, period. I have bony bunions, a hereditary situation, and within minutes of trying to stand or walk, I'm in agony. And I from everything I've been told, the surgery to fix that, often causes way more problems than it solves, sometimes requiring additional surgery to work out...no thanks. I have a friend with the same condition, but on just one foot, because she had the surgery on one and was going to have it on the other once the first one healed, but her comfort and mobility was worse after the surgery, than before, so she never got the other foot done, and doesn't plan to ever.

I have, instead, cultivated a love of flat soled boots, especially tall ones with laces. Not just your combat boot types, either but slim "riding" boots, I have a gorgeous pair of thigh high black leather boots, they look super cool on me with leggings and a long shirt. I don't do moccasins or cowboy styles, but yeah...boots. They're my jam.

Bras are a whole other nightmare. It's hard for me to find a bra that fits comfortably. I've wasted so much money on bras that I thought would work, but wearing for a day proved otherwise. My main issue is finding the right (smallish) cup size in a torso measurement big enough for my ribcage. I'm not rail-thin like a 12 year old, but designers seem to think that if you're small up top, you're a child or something. Ugh.

The one that saddens me the most though, is corsets. God, I love how they look. Lots of my friends wear them. But I can't cope with not being able to comfortably sit, or breathe easily. I'm just not down to suffer for fashion like that. I've tried...sometimes I get tempted by the sheer gorgeousness of them...but I just can't do it.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:34 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times
Heels and pointy toed shoes. In my 20s and even early 30s I would force myself to wear these instruments of torture for formal occasions. No amount of cushion or padding helped, it was the angle of the foot that caused pain.

I’ve had other items that I find annoying, like turtle necks that make me choke, but heels are the only thing that come to mind as being actually painful.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:50 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
I've got some high heels that are relatively comfortable for the first few hours. By then end of the night I'm always ready to get them off. But I start out the night happy I've worn that pair of shoes with every matching dress for 3 years

Old 04-17-2020, 03:16 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Oh and forgive me, but ladies - did you ever wear a pair of pantyhose that were a little too small? You had to keep pulling them up, adjusting them. What a pain.
Yes! You brought back a funny (now) memory. Couldn't afford good ones while we were getting started with two little folks and I'd buy the cheapest pair I could find. They wouldn't last long. One Sunday I only had one pair that didn't have a run in it and we were dressed for church.

The panty hose were too short in the crotch and the waistband was nearly nonexistent.

Every time we'd stand I'd feel that waistband pulling down a little more. I tried to surreptitiously hitch it a little but it was a losing battle. All those people standing behind me surely were watching and snickering. Finally it just started to roll and off it went! Rolled right down.

I could hardly shuffle out the door at the end of the service.

In the day I'd be willing to suffer a bit for fashion's sake. I can remember as a young woman frequent trips to the rest room to make sure everything I'd put where I wanted it to be was still there and what a pain it was to make sure I didn't move in such a way to displace my carefully arranged ensemble. Someone might notice!

But I gave that up in my Sixties. If I'm not comfortable I know that I don't look good. My upper layer of skin is more delicate than it used to be and there's less padding underneath.

Shoes are especially painful if they aren't fitted perfectly. More than once I have ruined a lovely afternoon by wearing the wrong shoes.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:55 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Have you looked at Vionics? They carry wides with great arch support built in.
Oh yes...I've written about them elsewhere on City-Data. Long story short: they don't work for me. Most stores don't carry the wide width and the arch is actually too high. Personally, I think they're cheaply made for the price.

My "around the house" shoe is my Kenkoh flip-flops. They took awhile to get used to (I had blisters for awhile) My "default" flip flops are Crocs--they don't have much of an arch but for some reason they feel comfortable. I did break down and get a pair of Aertrex "dress" sandals for around $115 on sale, but these too are not wide width so my feet look a little wonky in them. My pie-in-the-sky shoes are Finn's but I just can't see paying over $200 for a pair of sandals.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:19 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
SHOES

My biggest pet peeve was not being able to find dress shoes that you can actually walk in.

A few months ago I started looking into sneaker type shoes that I can dress up. It isn't easy but I found a few from Adidas and Under Armour to fit my needs. I will avoid dress shoes from now on if I can.

Not to mention general shoe quality is pathetic these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty