Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 07:18 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Shoes!!

I have a miserable time finding shoes to fit my feet. I wear a 6AA and it's a pain finding shoes to fit me. When I do find them, they are inevitably in that evil pointy-toed style. Whose feet are actually shaped like that? I've never actually seen feet shaped like that in real life.

I have a small narrow foot too which is better for a pointy toed shoe IMO......try Sarah Flint....lots of super comfortable flat & pointy styles. The only problem is that it's hard to find them because of Meghan Markle & another brand she made popular is Rothy's. Trotters has a few styles that are comfortable & Ted Baker has a ballet casual flat with a pointed toe that is super comfortable & not that expensive......

We don't have to hurt to be fashionable IMO........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 10:04 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I actually like turtleneck shirts. I don't find them uncomfortable unless they're made of a bad material, and I get rid of anything that is an itchy material. But I have a longish neck (not freakishly, but I pull off long dangly earrings very well, too) really long hair that I wear loose, parted in the middle, and round Lennon-style glasses. So it's part of my "bookish" look, but honestly in a black turtleneck I look like I might be on my way to publish a subversive newsletter.

Oh lord, I have a sort of heebie-jeebie anxiety feeling just thinking about flip flops. I'm one of those who is horrified of having anything between my toes. I once nearly wrecked my car because I was driving on the interstate home from a concert, wearing my combat boots (so they were laced up and hard to remove) and the seam of my sock worked its way in between my toes. I was having conniptions. I had to pull over and fix it.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:32 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Tags! I hate tags, have since I was young enough to be aware of my clothing. Thankfully most clothes don't have them anymore. Sometimes even the stitching is irritating. I bought a lightweight nightgown the other day from Target and even though it didn't have any tags, the stitching on one shoulder was driving me crazy. I solved that by wearing it inside out. Thankfully, I live alone or I'm sure someone would think I had Alzheimer's.

Turtlenecks are another big no as is anything made of wool. I received a beautiful cashmere sweater one Christmas that made me itch horribly.

I have narrow feet and it's hard to find a size 7 narrow. When I got married in 1984, my wedding shoes had a pretty high heel, but they were a 7 AA, with a AAAA heel. The most comfortable pair of high heels I ever wore. Good thing because we danced for hours. Now, I find the older I get, the lower the heel gets. They make my knees & back hurt if I wear them too long. The joys of getting older. :-(

Old 04-21-2020, 09:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
y.

Shoes are probably the worst culprit. Especially dress shoes. I stopped wearing anything with a pointy toe
YEARS ago and I keep the heel height - very reasonable.

o
If shoes hurt you, you are buying the wrong size.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:36 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
Fun post.
Shoes for sure. I've worn more pairs of uncomfortable shoes than I can even remember. Even shoes that were "supposed" to be comfortable have rubbed my feet raw.
Dresses with sequins. I LOVE sparkle but those sequins are so itchy from the inside!! Especially under the armpits!
Shapewear - it always seems to "roll down" my stomach throughout the evening and I have to discreetly try to yank it back up. Plus, it just seems to redistribute the fat to another area where I don't want it either!
Skirts. I have an issue with skirts. They don't seem to stay on my waist - they ride up also and end up sitting on my ribs!! Or the waistband just cuts into my stomach. I think I have a weird torso shape.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I actually like turtleneck shirts. I don't find them uncomfortable unless they're made of a bad material, and I get rid of anything that is an itchy material. But I have a longish neck (not freakishly, but I pull off long dangly earrings very well, too) really long hair that I wear loose, parted in the middle, and round Lennon-style glasses. So it's part of my "bookish" look, but honestly in a black turtleneck I look like I might be on my way to publish a subversive newsletter.
LOL you need a cigarette holder too! A really long one. You don't have to smoke - you could just carry it around.

I am partial to turtlenecks myself - and I have a medium length neck. But I have short choppy hair and I think turtlenecks sort of play that up. I know what you mean about that subversive look!

Quote:
Oh lord, I have a sort of heebie-jeebie anxiety feeling just thinking about flip flops. I'm one of those who is horrified of having anything between my toes. I once nearly wrecked my car because I was driving on the interstate home from a concert, wearing my combat boots (so they were laced up and hard to remove) and the seam of my sock worked its way in between my toes. I was having conniptions. I had to pull over and fix it.
I can totally relate to this as well. And I absolutely cannot BEAR flip flops!

Old 04-22-2020, 10:58 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I like the cowl necks that have been in fashion recently, but a full-on turtleneck makes me feel like I'm being strangled.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Tags! I hate tags, have since I was young enough to be aware of my clothing. Thankfully most clothes don't have them anymore. Sometimes even the stitching is irritating. I bought a lightweight nightgown the other day from Target and even though it didn't have any tags, the stitching on one shoulder was driving me crazy. I solved that by wearing it inside out.
I cut the tags off as soon as I get the top home, and have for years, but you are right. I have noticed that now the size and instructions are printed on the shirts many times.
I have a favorite gym shirt I wear a lot. It has some local high school team logo on it. Sometimes when I go to the gym (or did) I would turn it inside out thinking I am fooling people into thinking it is a different shirt. But hey, they don't get up close and personal, so from a distance I am wearing the logo shirt one time and then the next time I wear it, it is plain grey.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:00 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
Fun post.
Shoes for sure. I've worn more pairs of uncomfortable shoes than I can even remember. Even shoes that were "supposed" to be comfortable have rubbed my feet raw.
Dresses with sequins. I LOVE sparkle but those sequins are so itchy from the inside!! Especially under the armpits!
Shapewear - it always seems to "roll down" my stomach throughout the evening and I have to discreetly try to yank it back up. Plus, it just seems to redistribute the fat to another area where I don't want it either!
Skirts. I have an issue with skirts. They don't seem to stay on my waist - they ride up also and end up sitting on my ribs!! Or the waistband just cuts into my stomach. I think I have a weird torso shape.
You might just be short waisted like I am. I'm 5'1" but most of my height seems to be legs. I could never wear those high waisted pants that were so popular in the 70's because they would just roll down my torso. I also have a short neck which is why I always hated turtlenecks. I wish I could have been at least 5'4" tall.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:43 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If shoes hurt you, you are buying the wrong size.
Pointy toed shoes can hurt people because- they hurt. Most people don’t have pointy feet. No amount of sizing up is going to change that. My foot is also wider in the toebox than in the heel- significantly, so pointy toed shoes are usually fairly uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty