Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 06:33 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

After having the same DL pic for ten years, I finally had to go in in person for the renewal because of REALID. I got it in the mail and I hate it. I look terrible; it's a flat black and white photo and I look old and angry. It's a PITA to get a DL in Texas so I'm going back and forth about whether it's really worth it to go back to the office just to get a duplicate DL because of a stupid photo. It's such a trivial thing but I dislike looking so horrible in the ID I use for everything, and TX drivers licenses are good for 8 years. Has anyone else dealt with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 06:52 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Doesn't everyone hate their driver's license photo?

Old 01-26-2021, 06:53 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
After having the same DL pic for ten years, I finally had to go in in person for the renewal because of REALID. I got it in the mail and I hate it. I look terrible; it's a flat black and white photo and I look old and angry. It's a PITA to get a DL in Texas so I'm going back and forth about whether it's really worth it to go back to the office just to get a duplicate DL because of a stupid photo. It's such a trivial thing but I dislike looking so horrible in the ID I use for everything, and TX drivers licenses are good for 8 years. Has anyone else dealt with this?
I've kept my same license photo for many years because you can automatically select to do so through the VA system. It's an awful photo. I'll have to get my next photo taken in person and that one will be awful as well, but I'll be 76 and have an excuse by then. TBH, I think most DL photos are pretty awful, just like passport photos. They must put "ugly" filters on their cameras.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:55 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Doesn't everyone hate their driver's license photo?
I've liked my last two DL (and passport) photos, but at my local DMV, the nice person in charge of photos let me select mine rather than sticking me with the less flattering images. Same thing at AAA when I've had my passport photos taken.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I've kept my same license photo for many years because you can automatically select to do so through the VA system. It's an awful photo. I'll have to get my next photo taken in person and that one will be awful as well, but I'll be 76 and have an excuse by then. TBH, I think most DL photos are pretty awful, just like passport photos. They must put "ugly" filters on their cameras.
I think you're right. The photo from before, taken 10 years ago, was much better. It's not really that 10 years have passed, I think I still look decent for my age (44); it is the flat black and white photos now when it used to be color photos. It's odd that the pics are black and white now considereing they are used for ID. Wouldn't color pics be more accurate?

Old 01-26-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I think you're right. The photo from before, taken 10 years ago, was much better. It's not really that 10 years have passed, I think I still look decent for my age (44); it is the flat black and white photos now when it used to be color photos. It's odd that the pics are black and white now considereing they are used for ID. Wouldn't color pics be more accurate?
Are the black and white images used unique to Texas? Images are still in color here in Pennsylvania.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:59 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
LoL. I hate all my work ID pics. I call them "self esteem adjusters." "Humility makers". Our work ID's (facility badge and work badge) look like some kind of robotic graphic and your face is stretched on it with chunks of pixels looking like odd zits. I call them my "safety devices" because if my purse is ever stolen, whoever rifles through it will see those and scream, drop them and never come to my home to attack me.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Are the black and white images used unique to Texas? Images are still in color here in Pennsylvania.
I don't know. This is the first time I've gotten a black and white photo back and I've never gotten a black and white photo before. I've had several pics. It's bizarre. Oh, I just read it's because the new licenses are printed on forgery resistant polycarbonate rather than plastic and for some reason they can't print pics in color on poly.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I don't know. This is the first time I've gotten a black and white photo back and I've never gotten a black and white photo before. I've had several pics. It's bizarre.
Hmm. The Real ID compliant DL in Pennsylvania has a yellow star and a bar code on it, with the photo still in color.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with a less than flattering photo. Before I started going to this DMV, I went to another, much busier site. The resulting picture made me look like I'd been surprised by the ugly stick, lol...sigh. I was so glad to change up that picture when it came time to do so!

The best ID pictures were back when they were laminated Poloroid shots (at least in my opinion). Polaroid images are so flattering.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:48 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
I had an amazingly bad driver's license photo about eight years ago and it was valid for four years. It was so bad that it was actually funny and I got a kick out of showing it to friends and family. I'm a woman who puts effort into looking my best so the awful photo made it even funnier. I guess I just don't take myself all that seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty