Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
You gotta look like Cary Grant to rock them.
You don't have to look like anyone famous though to look foolish in a tight little suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 12:21 PM

102,223 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
So GenZ is copying GenX now?

Oh God somebody Shoot me I'm Now old enough that the clothes I wore in My 20's have Cycled back into fashion!!!!!
I don't remember there being an era of jeans so wide-legged, they look like skirts on the men. What era is that photo from? And what location? I don't think those ever hit the West Coast, or not outside of LA, ir anywhere.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:27 PM

102,223 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No - I am not talking about the "jeggings" (which are also stupid) but actual jeans. My sister and I tried a bunch on last year (in Buckle) so I am speaking from recent experience.
I wasn't talking about leggings, either. Though with the cheaper brands of skinny jeans, there does seem to be a fine line between jeans and leggings.
Quote:
I loved my bell bottom jeans in the 1970s. They finally came back.
If bell bottoms can come back, so can skinny jeans.
Bell bottoms came back in the 90's, including for high-end women's pantsuits, and also had a flash of popularity in the first decade of the 2000's, and in the next decade as well. But I think, since the new millennium, we've moved into an era of several styles of jeans, dresses, skirts being "in" at the same time, so some of these "revival" trends are less obvious, because they'r'e competing with other styles for the consumer's attention and money.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:35 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I saved a pair of Twin Cannons and sewed them into a skirt, lol
RIP JNCO. Really not sorry to see them go. I think they were categorized by how wide they were. Some were so wide that they could easily be made into two skirts for slimmer women.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:10 PM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't remember there being an era of jeans so wide-legged, they look like skirts on the men. What era is that photo from? And what location? I don't think those ever hit the West Coast, or not outside of LA, ir anywhere.
Wide leg jeans were huge from the early 90s to maybe early 2000s.

This was mainly raver/skater gear, but I think some rock and goth people wore them too. The smaller JNCOs, like the 23's, were a bit more universal during that time because baggy jeans were in style then.

(I'm on the Eastcoast)

Oddly enough, JNCO is actually a Los Angeles based company.. lol

https://jnco.com/collections/jeans

Old 02-19-2021, 02:12 PM

1,438 posts, read 735,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually they were everywhere it was just a very niche market, it was popular with the 17-24ish aged people who went to Raves. in the early 90's hell the girl in the photo looks like someone me and all my friends dated in 1990(No my friends and me did not date the same girl, we just all had girlfriend's who had that basic look lol, just insert different hair colors.)

Last edited by ChileSauceCritic; 02-19-2021 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 02:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
FWIW Cary Grant's suits always looked so good because they were custom made and hand stitched for him. A gorilla would have looked good in those suits. A little trivia, Cary Grant always wore his own clothes in his movies because his stuff was far superior to the wardrobes the studios offered.
While Cary Grant did have some of his suits made on Savile Row, he also wore off the rack apparel as well (his slim build permitted that). What was key - the fit, and he tended to go for timeless classics as opposed to cutting edge forward fashion. He believed that one should wear clothes and not the other way round.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:25 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Eh I’m ok with that. I never really liked the skinny jeans thing.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:03 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
EXACTAMUNDO.

That is the whole issue with skinny jeans. AND, the fact that they are horribly uncomfortable. I am not fat, but damn y'all, how can you stand all that skin tight denim? Yoga pants and what-not are fine - but skin-tight denim SUCKS. I gave up pantyhose years ago - for the same reason.
I don't think you know the definition of TIGHT! In the late '70's we (girls) wore jeans so tight we literally had to lay down on the bed to get them fastened and then use coat hangers to push down the pockets. And I don't remember feeling "uncomfortable" then but I can't imagine it now - and those jeans were 100% cotton with no give to them. Now there's like up to 10% spandex or something stretchy in them.

What I don't like about skinny jeans is that they are constantly touching the full length of my legs and drying out my skin. They are hot in the summer and cold in the winter - just not "practical"...ha. But when is "fashion" ever practical - certainly not for women!

Old 02-19-2021, 08:04 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't think you know the definition of TIGHT! In the late '70's we (girls) wore jeans so tight we literally had to lay down on the bed to get them fastened and then use coat hangers to push down the pockets. And I don't remember feeling "uncomfortable" then but I can't imagine it now - and those jeans were 100% cotton with no give to them. Now there's like up to 10% spandex or something stretchy in them.

What I don't like about skinny jeans is that they are constantly touching the full length of my legs and drying out my skin. They are hot in the summer and cold in the winter - just not "practical"...ha. But when is "fashion" ever practical - certainly not for women!
Sure maybe tight at the hips or waist, but HELLO - BELL BOTTOMS??? Totally different fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty