Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 11:00 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times

Advertisements

I've had really severe nearsightedness my whole life. I wore glasses all through grade school and got contacts in 8th grade, wearing those until just a couple of years ago when my eyes just noped out of having contact lenses directly applied on a regular basis. So I've been wearing glasses for the majority of the time for a couple of years. I still have a really strong prescription, and there's only so thin that high index lenses can go, but I'm actually enjoying playing around with frames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 11:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
I've worn glasses or contacts since I was 7 yrs old. Many years ago, I considered Lasik surgery, but come to find out, I deal with dry eyes (which explains why contacts were never comfortable or convenient for me.) The eye doctor explained to me because of my dry eyes, I might have complications and unintended consequences, if I got Lasik. Soooo...never mind. lol

Old 05-25-2021, 11:14 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I know is that I feel energetic and attractive at age 59 (and holding!). I stay active, I feel good, I dress attractively, I have a cute hairstyle (that I've let go all natural color wise so it's SUPER healthy), I wear a bit of makeup but not too much, I keep my teeth in good shape (I really feel like that's important), I don't wear glasses (not saying that's wrong but I thankfully just don't have to wear them so I don't), etc. My figure is no longer perfect, and I have a few signs of aging, because, WELL, I AM aging, but so what? I'm not ashamed of my age at all. I'm not ashamed of my experiences. I'm not insecure. I have never relied more on looks than on brains or personality or character, thankfully - and I have plenty of all those! I like myself and am comfortable in my own skin and with my life. If other people appreciate that as well, great, but if not, well, I'm not paying attention to them anyway.

I just booked a solo vacation for myself (husband died last year). I'm so excited about it! I can't wait to do exactly what I want to do, on my own timeline, for a solid week of vacation. Will I "try" to look good? Well, I'm going to get a pedicure right before I go. Probably going to buy a few new clothes. I'm definitely getting my hair cut right before I go too. But you know what - I'm doing those things for ME, not for other people. I plan to lay on the beach and admire my pedicure. I plan to grin at myself as I walk out of the hotel room in cute clothes with cute hair every single day. I will be confident and carry myself that way, because I just am that way.
So great to hear that you are taking a vacation! Where are you going?

Old 05-25-2021, 11:35 AM

215 posts, read 145,128 times
it also depend if your a man or woman, because I think they age differently

one of the best things a person can do is dont get too over weight , Ive seen a lot of people that cant even walk right anymore because they let themselves go

being fit and having the ability to move / walk without all that extra weight also makes a person look younger.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:49 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
I am early 50s and I engage in more self-care than I ever have before in my life. It is absolutely amazing.

In my 20s-40s, I was married, raising 3 kids, working f/t, and homeschooling. I had not a single moment for myself and was exhausted all the time. The pressure I put on myself to be the perfect (fill in the blank) was soul-crushing.

Now that the kids are grown, I have time. I'm a priority. I focus on sleep, meditation, exercise, proper nutrition, and self-monitoring (physical/mental/psychological). I â€try†now more than I ever have in my life.

I have a feeling the OP may have been referring to make-up/hair/clothes? If that's the case, I have expensive timeless pieces and pair them with inexpensive trendy pieces. I still wear make-up. My hair is completely natural (and so shiny and healthy). People ask if I dye it. Ha! Nope. Not anymore. I get alot of compliments on my sparkling silver curls.

I also have more money. Before I spent most of my money on the kids and/or husband. Now, I spend more and luxurious skin care products. Wow, they matter.

Anyway, yeah, I still â€tryâ€.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:02 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,008,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
For those in their 50s do you still try? I'm in my 50s and, have a 37 year old husband and still try.
Was this post just an attempt to elicit envy... to let us all know that you're 50 & have a husband 13-yrs younger? Is that somehow more meaningful to you? If your husband were 13-yrs older, you'd no longer try, whatever trying means to you?

Like others, I don't know what try means. Attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen couples where neither is attractive to me (& vice versa), regardless of age or style they preferred, but they're obviously attracted to each other, which is all that counts.

I've also seen women in my apt complex, outside with their dogs at 2pm, dressed in baggy, wrinkled PJ's & an unmatching bathrobe. I wouldn't walk outdoors like that, but... doesn't mean they're not trying. Maybe that is trying to them... maybe they're home ill & the pooch needs to go out... maybe that's just the way they prefer to dress at home. Maybe they're single & don't care what they look like when home alone... maybe they have an SO & both dress that way. Of course, I notice cuz it's unusual, but it doesn't & shouldn't matter to me how they look.

I'm single atm, but even at home, am clean, dressed & look as good as I can regardless. I like to look presentable, so that I could leave my house at any given point without have to wait to clean up, comb hair, get dressed, etc.

When in a relationship, I don't change my style to suit someone else's... I have my own style & although we all like compliments, I dress to suit myself. It seems that you worry more about looks cuz your SO is younger, right? That's one choice & not wrong... guess it works for you.

So, congrats on your 37-yr old SO. I'm sure you both look great. I guess that's what you wanted to hear??

Old 05-25-2021, 12:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
So great to hear that you are taking a vacation! Where are you going?
Well, after much thought, I decided to once again "reclaim" something that had become "ours" as "mine," if that makes sense. So I am going back to the Historic Triangle area of Virginia, the Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach/Williamsburg-Jamestown-Yorktown area. I lived there as a child and then I visited that area before I met my husband and then after I met him we went several times as well. I loved it before and after he came into my life and I still love it, so I decided to go back to something that's familiar and yet interesting. Relaxing if I want it to be. I can hardly wait!!!!!

I thought seriously about going back to Boston or Maine or both, or going someplace completely new, but decided against that. New would be too stressful, and some place that he and I had discovered together seemed too emotionally difficult, so I went for something tried and true.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Was this post just an attempt to elicit envy... to let us all know that you're 50 & have a husband 13-yrs younger? Is that somehow more meaningful to you? If your husband were 13-yrs older, you'd no longer try, whatever trying means to you?

Like others, I don't know what try means. Attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen couples where neither is attractive to me (& vice versa), regardless of age or style they preferred, but they're obviously attracted to each other, which is all that counts.

I've also seen women in my apt complex, outside with their dogs at 2pm, dressed in baggy, wrinkled PJ's & an unmatching bathrobe. I wouldn't walk outdoors like that, but... doesn't mean they're not trying. Maybe that is trying to them... maybe they're home ill & the pooch needs to go out... maybe that's just the way they prefer to dress at home. Maybe they're single & don't care what they look like when home alone... maybe they have an SO & both dress that way. Of course, I notice cuz it's unusual, but it doesn't & shouldn't matter to me how they look.

I'm single atm, but even at home, am clean, dressed & look as good as I can regardless. I like to look presentable, so that I could leave my house at any given point without have to wait to clean up, comb hair, get dressed, etc.

When in a relationship, I don't change my style to suit someone else's... I have my own style & although we all like compliments, I dress to suit myself. It seems that you worry more about looks cuz your SO is younger, right? That's one choice & not wrong... guess it works for you.

So, congrats on your 37-yr old SO. I'm sure you both look great. I guess that's what you wanted to hear??

Ha! I thought much the same thing, except it was quickly followed by a shudder because I don't want someone in his thirties. UGH.

Anyway, this reminds me of a funny story about my husband, that my granddaughter and I were laughing about just yesterday. She said, "You have the cutest pajama sets." (I like to call them "loungewear" but whatever.) I laughed and said, "You know what - I do - and you know why? Because one time a few years ago, my husband said to me, 'I hate to tell you this, but when you come in and change, you look like white trash. All you wear is sweats and t shirts around the house.' OH NO HE DI-INT!" Listen, men - NEVER tell a woman she looks like any sort of trash. So I said to him, "Oh, I can change that - let's go shopping!" and he said "Fine by me." So I took him to a high endish sort of store. Everything I put on, he said, "Oh, I like that." So I didn't pay a bit of attention to price tags. When we went to pay up, the bill was around $400. My husband said "Goodness." But I said, "Oh, we're not finished yet. We have another store to go to." So off we went to another one, and that bill was about $300. By then, he was in a state of shock and I had plenty of "loungewear," so I stopped. He said quietly, on the way home, "You know we just spent over $700, right?" I said, "I know. Note to self - don't call wife white trash."

So four years later, I still have lots of really cute loungewear.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:32 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,279 times
I am 53 (today actually) and I haven't given up! I still color my hair, get regular haircuts, do my makeup, and take really good care of my skin. Although I work from home and wear leggings while I am home, I still dress nice when I go places. No pajama bottoms, baggy sweats, or slippers while out in public.

While, I am overweight, I am not sloppy and am working on getting in better shape. I am a curvy women so I wear clothes that enhance my good "stuff". LOL.

I think that a confident woman, with life experience, is beautiful.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:44 PM

21 posts, read 17,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
For those in their 50s do you still try? I'm in my 50s and, have a 37 year old husband and still try.
37 yr old husband. sheesh. If I was 50 I would still try to look good FOR MYSELF. FOR MY HEALTH. FOR ME. HUSBAND or not. If you are doing it for anyone else, you are setting yourself up for failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty