Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 06:21 AM

4,614 posts, read 6,402,081 times

Advertisements

One downside to plastic (or poly) socks...

Good friend was lighting a burn barrel, had on shorts and boots w/plastic socks, his customary attire....grabbed what he thought was diesel to dowse the contents with...turned out someone filled the yellow can with gasoline...the explosion/blowback melted the socks to his bare legs....spent weeks in a burn unit + rehab...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 08:02 AM

6,605 posts, read 5,010,586 times
I buy athletic socks and find they wear very well and don't make my feet sweat, which is something I dealt with for most of my life till I discovered these. And I've been switching to wool for summer socks (have used for winter for many years), like Smartwool or Darn Tough.

The sizing can be difficult. The S/M's fit me fine as a 7.5 but when they are a listed range of sizes, I find the 7-9's are huge and go to the smallest size.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:06 AM

61,919 posts, read 87,491,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Well, the socks I buy are supposed to fit shoe sizes from 6 to 12... quite a range, hmm?
I wear 9 or 9.5 shoes, so those socks ought to fit me just fine... but they feel tight.
(actually, it's more complicated than that.... the tan ones feel fine, but the navy ones are tight...
the different colors evidently are also different fabric blends...the tan ones have a bit of stretch).
Yeah...it looks like they are not uniform in size. Best probably to compare several and take the biggest, or stick to a known to fit brand.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:05 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,404,086 times
Too hot. Don't buy them. I am sure you can find cotton ones in online shopping.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:59 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,794,911 times
I have a different viewpoint about wearing cotton socks or pretty much cotton ANYTHING if I'm going to do anything that would cause me to sweat. Here in Florida, that's pretty much ANY ACTIVITY.

I find that synthetic clothing (such as polyester and rayon) are much more comfortable since they don't absorb and hold moisture. In short, synthetic clothing "breathes". In other words, the moisture that you produce from sweating passes through the clothing and evaporates quickly which causes cooling. Cotton, OTOH, absorbs and holds the moisture making your clothing wet and soggy.

Look at all the new apparel for golfers, fishermen, and other active wear and you'll find that much of it is 100% polyester. I've got 100% poly shirts that are VERY COOL. Much better for warm/hot weather wear than cotton.

Of course, if you're going to do nothing more strenuous than walk from your air-conditioned house to your air-conditioned car to your air-conditioned office, then cotton should work just fine. If you plan to be ACTIVE in a warm climate, then synthetics are your friend.

Oh, and poly underclothing works well even in cold climates, especially if you're going to be active. I used to live in a colder climate and was often active outdoors. Again, if you're wearing cotton and you're active in colder weather, you'll sweat and the cotton will absorb the moisture. Then when your activity slows down for 15 minutes or so, you begin to freeze because you're wearing damp clothing.

If I'm lounging around inside the house doing nothing, then I'll wear cotton jeans nearly all the time, but if I go outside for nearly any activity, I'll put on poly shorts and a poly shirt. They're MUCH cooler.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:14 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
I think a lot of manufactures are now making polyester clothes that are breathable and wicking. I see them in sporting clothes, like running and soccer. However I’ve only ever seen an expensive polyester socks as like funny holiday socks. So certainly not socks that you would wear on a daily basis.

I can say it is harder to find cotton socks. A lot of them are blends, and they aren’t very nice. I think about three or four years ago I bought a six pack of gold toe cotton slouch socks. Those were cotton with a minimum of nylon at the cuff. When you put them on in the morning they fit beautifully. As the day goes on they get stretched out. When you wash them they come back.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:44 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,264,553 times
I'm in agreement: for years now the only casual socks(for gym shoes or in slippers) I buy are Polo Ralph Lauren. They are sneaking in some poly but last I checked Macy's carries the cotton ones.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:07 AM

16,073 posts, read 7,089,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
When did sock manufacturers start making their socks out of polyester? I'm finding more polyester socks than cotton today.

I've found pure polyester clothing to be very uncomfortable in hot weather so I've always worn cotton or cotton/polyester blend in the summertime. I've always bought cotton socks for year round wear and am reluctant to go to polyester because it doesn't absorb moisture very well. I've been looking to buy a new supply of socks and it hasn't been easy finding socks I like that are primarily cotton. Have others noticed this trend in sock manufacture? Have any of you worn polyester socks and have you been happy with them? Do you wear them year round?
I hate them. Polyester and spandex. I hate the tight grip these socks have but very hard to find all cotton. I think cotton itself has become rare commodity. I always look for spandex content when I but sox and not found any without it. I have pairs of thin cotton sox that I like to wear in bed in winter. I am having a hard time replacing them.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:31 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I hate them. Polyester and spandex. I hate the tight grip these socks have but very hard to find all cotton. I think cotton itself has become rare commodity. I always look for spandex content when I but sox and not found any without it. I have pairs of thin cotton sox that I like to wear in bed in winter. I am having a hard time replacing them.
There’s these at Vermont Country Store…

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/.../product/53880

Old 09-12-2022, 11:43 AM

16,073 posts, read 7,089,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
There’s these at Vermont Country Store…

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/.../product/53880

These look great. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty