Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 11:39 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,262 times

Advertisements

When did sock manufacturers start making their socks out of polyester? I'm finding more polyester socks than cotton today.

I've found pure polyester clothing to be very uncomfortable in hot weather so I've always worn cotton or cotton/polyester blend in the summertime. I've always bought cotton socks for year round wear and am reluctant to go to polyester because it doesn't absorb moisture very well. I've been looking to buy a new supply of socks and it hasn't been easy finding socks I like that are primarily cotton. Have others noticed this trend in sock manufacture? Have any of you worn polyester socks and have you been happy with them? Do you wear them year round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 01:09 PM

23,261 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
When did sock manufacturers start making their socks out of polyester? I'm finding more polyester socks than cotton today.

I've found pure polyester clothing to be very uncomfortable in hot weather so I've always worn cotton or cotton/polyester blend in the summertime. I've always bought cotton socks for year round wear and am reluctant to go to polyester because it doesn't absorb moisture very well. I've been looking to buy a new supply of socks and it hasn't been easy finding socks I like that are primarily cotton. Have others noticed this trend in sock manufacture? Have any of you worn polyester socks and have you been happy with them? Do you wear them year round?
I've never had any trouble finding cotton/cotton blend socks. I don't like and wouldn't buy 100% synthetic socks either...hot, don't absorb moisture, and feel slimy. Are you searching for a very specific type or style of socks such as thin dress socks? Maybe you need to be willing to pay more for better quality. Silk/silk blend might be an alternative.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:22 PM

1,124 posts, read 607,749 times
Lol, they have been making poly socks for decades. Though blends are super common nowadays.

I agree that when I buy socks, I tend to go to something mostly cotton or wool. A bit of poly is okay, it's a bit more durable and makes the socks last longer.

Though TBF, some socks are just very cheaply made - whether it's cotton, poly or wool. The cheap ones don't breath well, feel horrible and don't last long. I have a few pairs of "no show" socks for Summer that are made of 100% poly and surprisingly quite breathable - it's the knit.

BTW if you have not tried it yet, buy some of those high wool content high end socks for Winter like Icebreaker Merino wool. They amazing socks. They do cost a bit, but will last forever so in the long run it's the same price as reg socks.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:39 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Which material for socks is the stretchiest?

Old 09-10-2022, 06:24 PM

46 posts, read 42,192 times
I've also noticed a lot of polyester socks in the stores nowadays. My feet sweat a lot and polyester socks won't work for me. I really like the Pillow Sole brand of socks, they're a rayon/polyester blend. Bamboo is a great sock material, not always easy to find but very soft and breathable.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:28 PM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Awful thing! It makes you feet sweat, and stink!!!
I make sure to buy my socks all cotton, or wool, or angora with a very minimum elastan to keep them in shape. (5% or so).

Old 09-10-2022, 06:29 PM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
What about buying the right size?

Old 09-10-2022, 09:42 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What about buying the right size?
Well, the socks I buy are supposed to fit shoe sizes from 6 to 12... quite a range, hmm?
I wear 9 or 9.5 shoes, so those socks ought to fit me just fine... but they feel tight.
(actually, it's more complicated than that.... the tan ones feel fine, but the navy ones are tight...
the different colors evidently are also different fabric blends...the tan ones have a bit of stretch).

Old 09-11-2022, 05:25 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Polyester anything picks up odors very easily. I avoid it when possible, but especially for any kind of underwear or sleepwear.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:17 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post

Are you looking for dressier socks?
Try this? Unisex
https://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Slight...35835525&psc=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty