Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 11:44 AM

16,072 posts, read 7,089,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I'm in agreement: for years now the only casual socks(for gym shoes or in slippers) I buy are Polo Ralph Lauren. They are sneaking in some poly but last I checked Macy's carries the cotton ones.
I have these, they are getting old but I still love those little horsemen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 06:43 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,383,840 times
I'm in the minority. I prefer socks made of a cotton/poly blend because they seem to fit me better. I have small feet (5/5.5). Socks often feel too big to me and bother me. I absolutely cannot stand the a thick seam along my toes. I have even tried buying socks in the children's department, but I'm not into balloons and cartoon characters on my socks. I prefer black or navy most of the time.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:45 PM

183 posts, read 122,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm in the minority. I prefer socks made of a cotton/poly blend because they seem to fit me better. I have small feet (5/5.5). Socks often feel too big to me and bother me. I absolutely cannot stand the a thick seam along my toes. I have even tried buying socks in the children's department, but I'm not into balloons and cartoon characters on my socks. I prefer black or navy most of the time.
I prefer cotton/poly blends as well, for spring and fall.

For walking for long periods in the winter, wool, or wool blends are the way to go for me. Wool/nylon is wonderful.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:06 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,064,981 times
My Christmas bonus was a gift card for a brand-name sports store, couldnt figure out what to get so I refreshed all my socks!

I selected what I thought were normal cotton athletic socks, but these are mostly polyester and spandex with just a bit of cotton.

pros: brilliant white, stay white, even thru multiple months and washes. Even the logo on the ankle. You would be proud to wear them with Crocs or sandals.

cons: they compress my feet! They grip too tight! They say size 12 but feel like size 8. I hate them! I also bought too many packs trying to use up the whole gift card, so I have 1 pack not even used yet.

They are destined to end up as "clean my car's rims and undercarriage and greasy bicycle chain" pile.

Next time around, more cotton please!

Old 09-12-2022, 09:17 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,395,861 times
I love thin 100% Nylon socks in the summer. My feet get hot, and these are the only ones I can stand in the summer. Harder to find, but they’re worth it , and they’re very durable.
Merino wool blend socks in the winter.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:28 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,366,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I have a different viewpoint about wearing cotton socks or pretty much cotton ANYTHING if I'm going to do anything that would cause me to sweat. Here in Florida, that's pretty much ANY ACTIVITY.

I find that synthetic clothing (such as polyester and rayon) are much more comfortable since they don't absorb and hold moisture. In short, synthetic clothing "breathes". In other words, the moisture that you produce from sweating passes through the clothing and evaporates quickly which causes cooling. Cotton, OTOH, absorbs and holds the moisture making your clothing wet and soggy.

Look at all the new apparel for golfers, fishermen, and other active wear and you'll find that much of it is 100% polyester. I've got 100% poly shirts that are VERY COOL. Much better for warm/hot weather wear than cotton.
Yes, a lot of the new activewear uses synthetics because it doesn't absorb moisture. But for me, when I wear those new, 100% synthetic technical fabrics in the summertime, the moisture clings to me instead and causes me to get overheated and uncomfortable.

I don't doubt that they work for the majority of people though. That's why they are so popular with hikers.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:08 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,422,447 times
I went online to look for ankle socks or quarter crew socks since the only socks available at my local Walmart are no-shows, low cuts or full crew athletic type socks. Most of my socks have been either cotton crews or crew style diabetic socks but I've gotten to like ankle socks and quarter crews. I was surprised to find the large majority of socks I was looking for are full or almost-full polyester fabric and very few were cotton or cotton-poly blends. I wear clothing of either 100% cotton or cotton-poly blends in summertime. 100% polyester fabrics in summer are pure torture to me--unbearably hot and make me sweat profusely. That's why I was surprised to find 100% poly socks--I figured they did the same thing to feet it does to my body.

I did order some 100% merino wool socks since winter is coming on but am still looking for cotton ankle or quarter crews that I like. Cotton-poly or with a small amount of spandex would be acceptable.

I live in a small town and the local Walmart is the only place to buy socks, other than the single shoe store in town (which I have not checked out for socks). I have to travel 100 miles (or more) to get to a town with a better selection of clothing so I end up buying a lot of stuff online. Thank God for the internet!!!

My thanks to everyone who has posted here. Your responses have been very helpful.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:59 PM

13 posts, read 7,221 times
Polyester socks are not comfortable to wear compare to cotton one. and some people have irritation with polyester socks too so better go for cotton socks

Old 09-22-2022, 06:31 AM

4,610 posts, read 2,740,857 times
Well, for males, I find the Kohl's down the street has a big wall rack absolutely covered with cotton and almost-completely-cotton dress socks and a couple big freestanding racks with cotton and almost-completely-cotton athletic socks. No idea where this "trouble finding cotton socks" comes from, unless you insist on 100% as opposed to say 90%. The 10% is going to be going into elastic/stretchiness. Personally, 100.000% cotton socks don't stay stretchy long enough for my taste; but at any rate you can't sense the difference as long as there's a lot of cotton in the socks.

100% polyester socks sound horrible to me, like putting your feet in a couple of plastic bags.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:27 AM

251 posts, read 247,181 times
Pantherella and Falke make amazing socks in an array of natural fibers, they are seamless and have more specific sizing. They are my go-to socks, when I have to wear socks! (warm climate)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty