Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 03:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

I hit Goodwill today looking for some roomy sweatpants and comfy knits and struck out; everything is a rubber band fitting skin-tight. That's nice if you're 20 and have great legs. I'm in my 60s and could use a little camouflage here! A thrift shop used to be reliable, but now it looks like a used workout wear store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 03:08 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
They are compression pants which seem to be the craze these days...makes everyone look "firm".
Also called shapewear and can make you look 5-10 lbs skinnier.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:17 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Why are you surprised? Clothing items others don't end up buying/wearing (for the very reasons you listed) end up at second hand/thrift shops. Somehow I doubt pants at Goodwill are a reflection of the majority of available styles. More likely they're the rejects.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why are you surprised? Clothing items others don't end up buying/wearing (for the very reasons you listed) end up at second hand/thrift shops. Somehow I doubt pants at Goodwill are a reflection of the majority of available styles. More likely they're the rejects.
Actually, I see almost nothing but leggings everywhere I go; i.e., on women.

Old 12-30-2022, 05:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Lands end. They have very comfortable “jeans”. In their sport knit collection. Also in the Sportsnet collection are their sport cords. They are extremely comfortable corduroy looking pants. They are stretch pants, but you can get leggings but you don’t have to get leggings they have regular ones too. They come in petite which is very important for me, and regular and I believe tall. There’s almost always a sale on these things. They don’t come in sizes sizes. They come in small medium and large. They wash well, they have small front pockets no back pockets. Elastic waist.

I love them they are literally pretty much the only kind I wear. Petite in larger sizes are extremely hard to find. And for me it’s the fact that I’m shaped funny, I need a petite rise.

If I get a normal rise the waistband is underneath my bra band. Great for a laugh, not for wearing.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:07 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Actually, I see almost nothing but leggings everywhere I go; i.e., on women.
I tried them once - nope. Will stick to my comfy Eddie Bauer jeans.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:10 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
LL Bean has wide-leg sweat pants. They're kind of spendy, but I've always gotten good quality clothes there. https://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?f...t+pants&init=1

Old 12-31-2022, 05:34 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
Walmart has regular sweat pants that aren't skin tight. I bought a pair of boot cut knit pants in a local department store for walking because I was tired of skin tight leggings. There are plenty of regular pants out there. Most women might be wearing leggings but that's not the only style out there.

Old 12-31-2022, 05:37 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
I have to agree with you, though, that it's hard to find regular pants that aren't leggings or skinny legs to wear for work or dressing up. I hate skinny pants that are ankle length. I wear socks or hose in the winter months and ankle pants don't work with socks or hose unless you wear knee high boots--which I don't. I'm not one of those trendy gals out there wearing the stiletto heels with the skinny jeans. I wear boot cut or straight leg. They're hard to find.

Old 12-31-2022, 06:34 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Lands end. They have very comfortable “jeans”. In their sport knit collection. Also in the Sportsnet collection are their sport cords. They are extremely comfortable corduroy looking pants. They are stretch pants, but you can get leggings but you don’t have to get leggings they have regular ones too. They come in petite which is very important for me, and regular and I believe tall. There’s almost always a sale on these things. They don’t come in sizes sizes. They come in small medium and large. They wash well, they have small front pockets no back pockets. Elastic waist.

I love them they are literally pretty much the only kind I wear. Petite in larger sizes are extremely hard to find. And for me it’s the fact that I’m shaped funny, I need a petite rise.

If I get a normal rise the waistband is underneath my bra band. Great for a laugh, not for wearing.
Ditto. I live in Lands End Sport Pants and crops. They are like yoga pants. Snug, but not tight, and never get baggy. They might be called the Starfish pants now. I don’t like elastic waist, but a wide smooth waistband.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-31-2022 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty