Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 07:38 PM

22,508 posts, read 19,310,117 times

Advertisements

leggings are not pants and they do not ever look like pants.
they look like underwear.
why anyone wants to look like they are walking around in their underwear, is beyond me.

they are the equivalent of spandex long johns.
if i am going to wear long johns (and i do) , they are going to be made of cotton, not spandex.
and I will wear a skirt or dress over them.

leggings in my view are not attractive at all in any way, shape or form. or on anyone's shape or form or size. they are uniformly ugly on every body size and body type. fine for an exercise class or bicycling, that's about it. they literally look like the person WOOPS! forgot to put their pants on. i don't care what type of shirt a person is wearing with leggings, they still look like they forgot to put on their pants (or skirt or dress).

where i work, our service chief actually updated the dress code policy to include a section on leggings because they are deemed to be unprofessional, even in our business casual workplace, and leggings are put in the same "NO" category as blue ripped blue jeans, bare midriffs, halter tops, and tank tops. c'mon people. stop walking around in what looks like underwear.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-02-2023 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You could ask a couple of these droopy-drawers guys whose saggy pants have their own sags, the back pockets are down around their knees, where they do their style shopping.
OMG that is hilarious!! i see those guys around town with their pants around their knees practically and they always remind me of toddlers trying to walk with a saggy droopy diaper. And about the same mentality too.

what woman or girl in their right mind would ever date someone that dresses like that ???

Old 01-02-2023, 08:23 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,079,311 times
Leggings are NOT pants; thank you. They are closer to tights, and we would never have dreamed of going out in public with just those on. Underwear indeed!

Old 01-02-2023, 08:49 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They are compression pants which seem to be the craze these days...makes everyone look "firm".
Also called shapewear and can make you look 5-10 lbs skinnier.
Makes SOME of those wearing them look more “firm”
Makes others look pretty ridiculous and in need of longer tops

Old 01-02-2023, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
leggings are not pants and they do not ever look like pants.
they look like underwear.
why anyone wants to look like they are walking around in their underwear, is beyond me.

they are the equivalent of spandex long johns.
if i am going to wear long johns (and i do) , they are going to be made of cotton, not spandex.
and I will wear a skirt or dress over them.

leggings in my view are not attractive at all in any way, shape or form. or on anyone's shape or form or size. they are uniformly ugly on every body size and body type. fine for an exercise class or bicycling, that's about it. they literally look like the person WOOPS! forgot to put their pants on. i don't care what type of shirt a person is wearing with leggings, they still look like they forgot to put on their pants (or skirt or dress).

where i work, our service chief actually updated the dress code policy to include a section on leggings because they are deemed to be unprofessional, even in our business casual workplace, and leggings are put in the same "NO" category as blue ripped blue jeans, bare midriffs, halter tops, and tank tops. c'mon people. stop walking around in what looks like underwear.
Most people wearing leggings choose not to wear underpants because of how the leggings reveals every line
So I think that makes a difference as well in how “professional” they are

Old 01-02-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Most people wearing leggings choose not to wear underpants because of how the leggings reveals every line
So I think that makes a difference as well in how “professional” they are
leggings look like underwear.
period. full stop.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
leggings look like underwear.
period. full stop.
I can’t disagree with that
They were created to be worn under practice skirts for ballet dancers to keep their legs warm in drafty rehearsal halls and to conform to their legs to avoid distorting the visual image of their legs in motion—
Because pants would have been a distraction to the watching choreographer and director

Old 01-03-2023, 06:12 AM

26,017 posts, read 22,214,018 times
I used to get flyers from this company, and they may have something that would work, and aren't that pricey:

https://www.blair.com/search/womens/...temsPerPage=24

Now, I am 68 years old, and I wear leggings. Yeah, I have the more typical body of someone my age. I buy the leggings a size larger than my regular size, and wear longer shirts, sweaters or tunics over them. I love the comfort, and not getting tangled up as I stay quite busy throughout the day.

I also shop llbean for their 2-a-day sale items, which are really a good buy. Lands End also has some great sales. Sign up with websites where you like the clothing, and you'll get "special" sales, coupons, things like that. I used to shop the Goodwill, but as prices went up, I stopped. If one is diligent, the bargains in better clothing are out there.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:03 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I hit Goodwill today looking for some roomy sweatpants and comfy knits and struck out; everything is a rubber band fitting skin-tight. That's nice if you're 20 and have great legs. I'm in my 60s and could use a little camouflage here! A thrift shop used to be reliable, but now it looks like a used workout wear store.
Fortunately the jogger look is coming back in style. Not baggy like traditional sweatpants, but not form fitting. The leg tapers to a cuff at the bottom.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:23 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And what do older women wear with the ubiquitous leggings?

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...ing-tunics-now
Hilarious article. Just shared it with sisters and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty