Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 06:54 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't think leggings have gone out of style. Unfortunately.
Athleisure is still in style, but even at a place that is essentially a workout/athleisure store like Athleta, you will see joggers, flares, wide-leg pants, straight leg pants, cargo pants, etc. Joggers are basically everywhere. I like them because they are comfier than jeans and can be worn to do something like hiking or around in a city without looking out of place. I was thrilled when they first came out for hiking since I am not really a fan of standard hiking pants that get wet and dirty on the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 07:08 PM

2,626 posts, read 1,173,205 times
I miss the leggings denim and pants from Avenue in the 90's. Obama became President and it all changed. He made some deal to have damn near everything made from China. I believe it was him. I remember him speaking about it. It wasn't long after that I couldn't find those leggings that fit perfect, and they were not like the crap teenagers wear now. They had some leg room and tapered down to the ankle but not too tight and not to wide where they would flap every time I walked. I miss them.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I miss the leggings denim and pants from Avenue in the 90's. Obama became President and it all changed. He made some deal to have damn near everything made from China. I believe it was him. I remember him speaking about it. It wasn't long after that I couldn't find those leggings that fit perfect, and they were not like the crap teenagers wear now. They had some leg room and tapered down to the ankle but not too tight and not to wide where they would flap every time I walked. I miss them.
Manufacturers have chosen more and more to have their wares made in China, but for fashion, India, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Vietnam and a couple of Pacific Island nations are still working with US companies as well. So are Romania, Bulgaria, Mexico and Guatemala. And a few clothing manufacturers prefer to use American producers, imagine that!

It would be great if more labels were made here at home; the quality of the workmanship is much better, and the sizing is more consistent. A lot of waste results from shoddy workmanship overseas.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:49 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Okay, "joggers" is another new term. What makes a pair of pants "joggers"?
I don't care for them. They are basically drawstring sweats with elastic cuffs on the ankle. I don't like the cuffs at all.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:54 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Anyone like the drop-crotch pants aka harem pants? I know they may not be the most flattering, but they're the most comfortabl pants ever. I have a nice pair of black drop crotch pants by the brand Eileen Fisher, but the fabric's too thin for year-round. They have to be the right drop crotch types for me, not just any.
I saw what I think were harem pants at some fairs this year and am kicking myself for not picking up a pair. The ones I saw weren't a drop crotch though and were wildly patterned in different squares. I hope I find them again! Not warm but great for fall or spring.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:09 AM

2,626 posts, read 1,173,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Manufacturers have chosen more and more to have their wares made in China, but for fashion, India, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Vietnam and a couple of Pacific Island nations are still working with US companies as well. So are Romania, Bulgaria, Mexico and Guatemala. And a few clothing manufacturers prefer to use American producers, imagine that!

It would be great if more labels were made here at home; the quality of the workmanship is much better, and the sizing is more consistent. A lot of waste results from shoddy workmanship overseas.
Yes I remember there use to be other countries that made nice clothing and styles. But once Obama came along it all changed. I saw the change with regular size clothing and Plus size clothing. It is harder to get good fitting pants for plus size women because they all assume the legs are the same size as the buttocks and front abdomen and the crotch comes down to the knees . People told me that they just had to learn how to make the clothing and to give them time that China clothing manufacturers would get better. I'm still waiting.

I also saw the difference when Walmart came to my area taking over kmart between the dish towels made in China and made in Palestine. The towels from Palestine were much better quality. Better stitching, color, material. But the China made dish towels were flimsy, seams falling apart and the color looked like it went through a street mud puddle.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:43 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Yes I remember there use to be other countries that made nice clothing and styles. But once Obama came along it all changed. I saw the change with regular size clothing and Plus size clothing. It is harder to get good fitting pants for plus size women because they all assume the legs are the same size as the buttocks and front abdomen and the crotch comes down to the knees . People told me that they just had to learn how to make the clothing and to give them time that China clothing manufacturers would get better. I'm still waiting.

I also saw the difference when Walmart came to my area taking over kmart between the dish towels made in China and made in Palestine. The towels from Palestine were much better quality. Better stitching, color, material. But the China made dish towels were flimsy, seams falling apart and the color looked like it went through a street mud puddle.
Have you researched this trade deal you believe is the cause of poorer quality clothing in the stores? I had to look it up, and it turns out, that the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal Obama struck is the opposite of what you say. It was to promote our products abroad, removing trade barriers to our goods. This would make a good topic for its own thread in, say, the Economics forum, for discussion and clarification. It would be off-topic here.

I don't remember any sudden change in how clothes fit, or their quality. When exactly did you notice this? Do you remember what year? American companies didn't all suddenly turn to China. As I said, there's been a great diversity of countries of origin in the clothing sold in the US. The problem is, that the companies keep switching from one factory to another, from one country to another, so there's little consistency from one year to the next, or the consistency in quality that there was in any given label gets lost if they change sources. Some of this has to do with inflation, and attempts to keep prices affordable.

In any case, that doesn't seem to relate to the thread topic, of how/why/when all pants became leggings. I'm still not seeing that, but if they're still gaining in popularity, it must be because women find them comfortable? And I notice that producers are offering them in a growing variety of eye-catching, artistic prints, which increases sales. They're trying to make them into an irresistible fashion item, with a constantly changing and evolving kaleidoscope of pattern and color. Consumers are responding positively, according to the impressions of some posters here.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-04-2023 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-04-2023, 08:58 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
And what do older women wear with the ubiquitous leggings?

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...ing-tunics-now
Yep.

I’ve been looking at style sites. Not fashion, how to wear clothing sort of things. One of the things I learned was that when you are wearing a blousy tunic top, you need slim cut pants. And it’s part of that balance. I’m not a legging person. So slim cut straight legged works.

If you are wearing a trouser, usually more wide legged, you need to wear a more tailored top. How they put it was two wides to make a wrong.

And the bad part is, I am a larger woman. And designers want to envelop me in fabric. I need less fabric to look slimmer. I’m kind of difficult to dress I guess because when I’m reading these style sites, they address one issue at a time. And I have a bag full.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:20 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
I don't own that many pants, but I just realized that all but two pairs are leggings of some sort, different fabrics and lengths, from jeggings to black thicker dressier legging cuts to that thinner fabric where you absolutely need a very long top.

The two pants that aren't leggings, well, I just don't like them. Grey slim cut jeans that grow throughout the day and start to fall down. And my new beige baggy cargo type pants that just look horrible with everything I've tried.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:10 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Okay, "joggers" is another new term. What makes a pair of pants "joggers"?
Slightly more tapered and form fitting sweat pants with an elongated elastic ankle hem is how I'd describe them. Yoga pants/leggings/whatever are elastic enough that they rarely have a drawstring.

Sweatpants are baggy, and if they have elastic at the hem it's a single narrow band. The sweatpants I was issued as part of my college football gear were such; a drawstring, otherwise baggy all the way, and baggy at the ankle, with no taper. My cousin is a collegiate athlete right now; he has joggers from the school, they're more tapered and slimmer cut, but not form fitting. Men and women's joggers are available. Unlike yoga pants/leggings/etc, where the closest thing a guy could get away wearing was a pair of running tights and only then when he's running (and often under a pair of shorts), guys can wear them without looking odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty