Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 12:57 PM

50 posts, read 33,267 times

Advertisements

I notice European fashion is more refined and sophisticated. I also notice Europe is a few years ahead of America (or all of North America) in terms of fashion and hairstyles and even new music.

It seems to start there first then 1-3 years later comes to America. It seems to have been this way since the 1960s. Has happened so long now and so often Americans are used to it, or don't even realize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 01:13 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Couture is produced mostly in Paris..(Haute couture).. but also in New York & other fashion capitals. It’s the same exclusive fashion shows & influence for Europeans AND Americans ofc.

edit: It would be silly to say it’s separate..especially with it trickling down to you tubers & influencers. How could it be?

Last edited by TashaPosh; 04-13-2023 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-13-2023, 01:16 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMMXXII View Post
I notice European fashion is more refined and sophisticated. I also notice Europe is a few years ahead of America (or all of North America) in terms of fashion and hairstyles and even new music.

It seems to start there first then 1-3 years later comes to America. It seems to have been this way since the 1960s. Has happened so long now and so often Americans are used to it, or don't even realize it.

This is correct, since in Europe fashion is all about the CITY LIFE first of all.

And in Europe cities are cities, within their "proper borders," whereas in America cities are so sprawled, transitioning smoothly into suburban areas, that half of the time you feel like you are not in the "city proper" at all.

And that's why the whole style of American clothing is more casual, like something Europeans would wear in the rural areas may be.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:00 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Sunbather, you are not the word police here. I can call it anything I want. This is an open forum.
Never said I was the word police. But I don't take kindly to speaking about women/people that way. It's an open forum, but it's also open to criticism and I provided mine.

Besides, you literally asked me how I would describe it and I answered your question.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

And that's why the whole style of American clothing is more casual, like something Europeans would wear in the rural areas may be.
Probably more in rural areas yes. Or maybe at home, that's it. Of course there are people like that in Europe, more sloppy. But in general, they pay more attention to the way they dress, put more effort into it, have less stuff but better quality and they do take care of their things so a classic blouse for instance is used for many many years. They don't have 30 blouses, 30 pairs of shoes, 20 bags etc. Only a few but great quality.

Personally, I do appreciate a more casual, more relaxed style. In the US it's too casual for my taste and in Europe it's a little too ...how should I say...a little bit too much. I mean, it can be sometimes, as if they tried too hard.

I always liked/had a more 'sport elegant' style. So not stiff, more relaxed, simple but fun with some interesting details/accents. Without being either too boring/plain nor too crazy/over the top.
Justine Leconte is French and lives in Germany. Or used to live in Berlin/Germany some years ago. I used to watch her youtube channel 6-7 years ago. She's really fun, I like her jewelry line. She studied fashion in New York. I don't like her fashion designs, but it's a matter of taste. She's into minimalism and ethical production.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:13 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
My .02 is that people are referring to "France and Italy, maybe Spain" when they comment about European fashion. Germans, Swedes, UK, Much of eastern Europe...they may dress slightly different than Americans but certainly no better.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My .02 is that people are referring to "France and Italy, maybe Spain" when they comment about European fashion. Germans, Swedes, UK, Much of eastern Europe...they may dress slightly different than Americans but certainly no better.
Have you ever visited these places, that you mentioned?

Old 04-14-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Probably more in rural areas yes. Or maybe at home, that's it. Of course there are people like that in Europe, more sloppy. But in general, they pay more attention to the way they dress, put more effort into it, have less stuff but better quality and they do take care of their things so a classic blouse for instance is used for many many years. They don't have 30 blouses, 30 pairs of shoes, 20 bags etc. Only a few but great quality.

Personally, I do appreciate a more casual, more relaxed style. In the US it's too casual for my taste and in Europe it's a little too ...how should I say...a little bit too much. I mean, it can be sometimes, as if they tried too hard.

I always liked/had a more 'sport elegant' style. So not stiff, more relaxed, simple but fun with some interesting details/accents. Without being either too boring/plain nor too crazy/over the top.
Justine Leconte is French and lives in Germany. Or used to live in Berlin/Germany some years ago. I used to watch her youtube channel 6-7 years ago. She's really fun, I like her jewelry line. She studied fashion in New York. I don't like her fashion designs, but it's a matter of taste. She's into minimalism and ethical production.

Agree - I love the look of her jewelry collection!

Nothing that I would personally consider wearing myself, but it's very, very nice.
I checked on her clothing designs - looks something within the "La Redoute" ( French catalog) lines, but probably much better quality.

It's sort of... what was that store in the US once - "Structure?" Don't remember the name of the store now, but it was basically selling those different *minimalistic* pieces of clothing that you were supposed to combine yourself.

So her variety looks like something of this kind to me.

Can't say that I learn a great deal from her - I kinda knew it all before on my own already, but she is fun to listen to, and for those hunting for tips - she definitely knows what she is talking about, so she gives plenty of clues.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

Can't say that I learn a great deal from her - I kinda knew it all before on my own already, but she is fun to listen to, and for those hunting for tips - she definitely knows what she is talking about, so she gives plenty of clues.
Yes, true, same here. She has a laid back attitude, charming.

There is another youtube channel about French fashion. A more mature French lady gives different tips there. She has a rather thick French accent speaking English but is not too bad. I like her too. Sometimes she's really funny. She has a great figure, ooh-la la!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUjKLQIayw

Last edited by farm108; 04-14-2023 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-14-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Let's see here...
I've always seen a nod of the fashion gurus towards Denmark and Sweden in particular, so here it comes -

Copenhagen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbPQHNkL1UE

(Notable absence of "skinny jeans," that look bad practically on everyone, if you ask me.. )

Stockholm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_cINvZuXUg

VS what you see around ( provided you are in US.)
So what do you think - better, worse?
About the same?

P.S. I guess that Eastern Europe is a flyover space when it comes to "fashion capitals," until you hit Moscow or may be St. Pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty