Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 03:43 PM

3,115 posts, read 1,007,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. I guess that Eastern Europe is a flyover space when it comes to "fashion capitals," until you hit Moscow or may be St. Pet.
Not so. They are into fashion, very feminine fashion. I would say more feminine than Germany for instance. More like France, Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 05:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Let's see here...
I've always seen a nod of the fashion gurus towards Denmark and Sweden in particular, so here it comes -

Stockholm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_cINvZuXUg

VS what you see around ( provided you are in US.)
So what do you think - better, worse?
About the same?

P.S. I guess that Eastern Europe is a flyover space when it comes to "fashion capitals," until you hit Moscow or may be St. Pet.
A fair amount of the women's fashion in your Stockholm video is exactly what the French fashion advisor linked earlier calls "frumpy". I even saw one woman wearing Birkenstocks, which the French fashionista hates, lol. The crowd shots look like the USA: a mixed bag. Some women in dresses, others in jeans or short skirts or cropped pants, etc. Most of the men are wearing shorts.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-14-2023 at 06:14 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 06:52 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Yes, true, same here. She has a laid back attitude, charming.

There is another youtube channel about French fashion. A more mature French lady gives different tips there. She has a rather thick French accent speaking English but is not too bad. I like her too. Sometimes she's really funny. She has a great figure, ooh-la la!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUjKLQIayw

Ah yeah, I remember her...
What's really weird, is her short haircut kinda bugs me, even more so than those long locks of *Justinne* ( love her accent lol,) for which I have some questions too)))
So it interferes somewhat with my perception of her stylishness)))
Although yes, she has very nice figure and she could get away with wearing practically anything, but interestingly enough, she is advising against some things that she herself could easily get away with, even at her age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T_kb8dfP00

Old 04-14-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Not so. They are into fashion, very feminine fashion. I would say more feminine than Germany for instance. More like France, Italy.

Yeah may be, but I never hear about those places as something "to write home about" when it comes to fashions.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A fair amount of the women's fashion in your Stockholm video is exactly what the French fashion advisor linked earlier calls "frumpy".

This is correct.

She has a very distinct French style in mind that she prefers ( she already mentioned that boho style of clothing is a no-no in her book too, ) so what you see in Stockholm fashion would be "frumpy" from her point of view.

So it should be kinda your personal pick - what style is your personal preference.

And what you see on women in Stockholm ( or London - remember when she was talking about "tweed from head to toe?" That's a reference to Brits right there I'd say)))) ) So what you see in Stockholm might be actually what's closer to your own taste.

Quote:
I even saw one woman wearing Birkenstocks, which the French fashionista hates, lol. The crowd shots look like the USA: a mixed bag. Some women in dresses, others in jeans or short skirts or cropped pants, etc. Most of the men are wearing shorts.

It's true that Northern Europe looks closer to what America wears, with slight variations.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:00 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Is this from the 1980's?. looks like it.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:53 AM

3,115 posts, read 1,007,936 times
Quote:
Yeah may be, but I never hear about those places as something "to write home about" when it comes to fashions.
You can say that about many many countries. I was comparing it with the fashion in the US. I'm talking in general.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:11 PM

24,103 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What? Where is this? You're in the Midwest?
No. I wasn't talking about Ohio. I was talking about middle to working class "burbs in NY. Suffolk County, on Long Island. Many contractors, men wearing hunting clothes, dressed like it's hunting season. They are interested in dressing little boys like little men. Tacky clothes, tank tops, really short or buzzed hair on boys. Dressing them for formal events in polyester or rayon suits with slicked back hair.

About 25 years ago, we were invited to a very formal wedding. My son was three. I dressed him in a blue suit with short pants, an Eaton jacket. I was never taught that boys under 10 wear tiny tuxedos or mock suits. Bow ties. Very short or slicked back hair.

Anyway, the late mother of a friend of mine, is from Denmark. She complimented and said "that's how we dress our boys in Europe. Americans seem to be in such a hurry for their children to grow up. Long pants are for older boys."

In general, I dressed him more "Preppy". My husband dresses that way too. Sure, there are some "red neck types" out in the country, but less so in the suburbs.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:35 PM

24,103 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Ah yeah, I remember her...
What's really weird, is her short haircut kinda bugs me, even more so than those long locks of *Justinne* ( love her accent lol,) for which I have some questions too)))
So it interferes somewhat with my perception of her stylishness)))
Although yes, she has very nice figure and she could get away with wearing practically anything, but interestingly enough, she is advising against some things that she herself could easily get away with, even at her age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T_kb8dfP00
She's great! I agree with her about 98% of her style and philosophy. Wide, short pants make your legs look, well WIDE and SHORT. Same goes with voluminous tiered dresses. Yuk. Hoodies? You can do better. Fitted clothes are always a better choice. Gym clothes belong in the gym. Leggings, for lounging at home.

I think there are two factors that she doesn't understand about this country. Many women actually PREFER being as comfortable as they would if they were about to go to bed, of were hunkering down on a rainy night to read a book and watch a movie.

That's fine when you are at home. Fitted clothes are not AS COMFORTABLE as sweats and hoodies. Because you are DRESSED. Not lounging. I even have specific lounge clothes. But, I'm not above wearing sweats while using my exercycle, binge watching a good series, and cooking.

Two things that I think she doesn't understand about American woman, are some regional attire that are popular is many parts of the US, but not in my home area, Metro NYC.

1. Birkenstocks. First, I would not be caught dead in them. I don't like clunky sandals. Boots can be cute - Chelsea boots, for example, but I like them less chunky than some do. Birkenstocks are popular in New England and often worn by New England women and men, with Boho clothes, which she categorically hates. There are artists, professors, academics, people who buy old barns and churches in places like Ithaca NY, Vermont, and Western Massachusetts where people have been wearing Birks for as long as I can remember. They are kind of an "anti-fashion' statement. These women are usually feminists, don't wear make-up, many have long grey hair. They don't frequent hair salons.
Again, you will never see me in those clod hoppers.

2. Cottage Core. While she doesn't mention it by name, the tiered dresses, and "shackets" - which look a lot like barn jackets, are an expression of rural Americana. Those of you who have roots in the American west, a love for "The Country", ancestors who settled the West, might feel an affinity for that look. She is French and is not really attracted to rural life. For her, it equates to peasants, hard work and poverty.

Personally, I do not like ANY wide legged pants on me. I am not tall but I have long legs for my height. Wide pants, wide dresses, don't flatter me. She does not account for this fact.

I also disagree with the "color yellow". SHE doesn't like yellow. Some people do. I don't care for florals, but I'm sure some well dressed women wear both yellow and florals and look good.

Again, I generally do agree with her.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You can say that about many many countries. I was comparing it with the fashion in the US. I'm talking in general.

Agree, but you mentioned that their fashions were more like the Italian ones, and that's what caught my eye.

So I decided to check ( out of curiosity,) because honestly I am clueless to what they wear, so I did ( hey, since it's a "European fashion" thread - why not, anyways?

So here comes Prague;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8EszfHjwFA&t=226s

^
Nope, I don't see anything "Italian" going there.

Their "dress code" is rather generic and on the conservative side.

Next is Poland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y45emXIMMH8&t=252s

Nope, nothing "Italian" as far as I can tell

Then Slovenia;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYP-Fkakmqk&t=125s

Not a hint of "Italian," until I come to Bulgaria.

Ahhh...THERE - yes, I can see that Italian "streak" here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70rQuKmYco

So the next distinct style of some "Italian" fusioned with "Scandianvian" somehow would be Moscow, but I want to check couple of other places before that first.

Last edited by erasure; 04-18-2023 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty