Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2023, 05:20 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrellyrabbit;65402160[B
]I don't get why people hate flip flops on OTHERS just because they find them uncomfortable to wear personally[/b]. Some ladies hate thongs but does that mean NO ONE can wear them?

Anyway, I don't like the $2 plastic/rubber flip flops that are actually meant to be throwaways you wear in the locker room shower...but there are lots of very nice and very well made flip flops that are great.

Anyway, one look I really dislike are "cold shoulder" tops. I've seen a few that are cut especially well but most just look cheap and tacky...I still remember the first time I saw one maybe 25 year ago. I must have done a triple take because it just looked dumb to me. Either wear a tank top or wear short sleeves but PICK ONE!
I don't think anyone here said that they don't like them on others. One person, maybe, said she doesn't think they should be worn anywhere but the beach or the pool, but the rest of us just said we don't like the difficulty walking/discomfort for ourselves.

Old 06-11-2023, 02:31 PM

7,057 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Another thing I’ve seen a lot of is young girls, say teen to early twenties wearing really short shorts under a really long tee. Looks like they forgot their pants. Not sure if that’s a regional thing, but it gives me pause and makes me do a double take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 02:43 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I cannot walk in them, and I don't understand how people do. It takes intense concentration to clench my toes to keep them on my feet. I don't want walking to be such an effort.

I cannot wear any shoe that does not have a back for the same reason. They don't stay on my feet.

I am the same way. I feel like I am going to face-plant trying to walk in them. And once I fall, I'm staying down! LOL!

Old 06-11-2023, 02:46 PM

11,050 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Another thing I’ve seen a lot of is young girls, say teen to early twenties wearing really short shorts under a really long tee. Looks like they forgot their pants. Not sure if that’s a regional thing, but it gives me pause and makes me do a double take.
With the pockets hanging down below!

Re flip-flops and getting old: much easier to trip in them. The hospitals down here won't allow them worn in the halls. That's all anyone wears around here. I only wear them on the beach. Going out, closed shoes for safety.

I hate the torn jeans look too. Will it ever end?

Old 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Brides dresses for the last 10 years.

The rich get nice dresses with sleeves or any style they want created regardless of their size such as Meghan Markle.

The rest of everyone else get the strapless bridal dresses. Doesn't matter if that person is obese, average or thin. Strapless is the only choice. I have attended a number of weddings the past 10 years and have seen displays in the local bridal shop window.

Always strapless. Strapless dresses are often not a flattering choice for some. But it seems the only choice for all.
That's odd. For my wedding, in 2016, I wore a beautiful dress that wasn't strapless (a pale golden color). I'm not extremely wealthy by any means (though the dress did cost kind of a lot, maybe like $1500? But that was the largest cost of the wedding--I had a very small one. I think the total cost for everything, including the honeymoon, was maybe like around $7 to 8k. Maybe the dress was more, though it definitely wasn't more than like $2500. I did a post a while ago on the wedding forum with the cost of the wedding. The numbers are a bit fuzzy to me now). I didn't care for the strapless dresses that I saw, and I don't think I would have looked that great in one; just not my style (I got the dress at David's Bridal in North Carolina).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 06-11-2023 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-11-2023, 06:36 PM

230 posts, read 161,424 times
I’ll probably get tomatoes thrown at me, but LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS and MANY MANY MANY gals wear them as such! I think leggings are fine with a longer top to CYA, but they should not be worn as regular pants - especially if you are not physically fit.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I do dress up for doctor's appointment but I'll be damned if I will dress up to hit the local Walmart. Almost anything is better than 90% of what we see there.
To clarify, I didn't say anything about anyone dressing up to hit the local WalMart. I just mean don't dress weird or you'll definitely stick out and may make it online!

Old 06-12-2023, 11:50 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
That would be disastrous! At my local Walmart, people dress pretty decently. I think it has something to do with the fact that most everyone knows everyone in this small town.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That would be disastrous! At my local Walmart, people dress pretty decently. I think it has something to do with the fact that most everyone knows everyone in this small town.
Probably doesn't hurt.

I don't even go to WalMart so there's that. LOL The last time I was there I think I took a photo of someone though wearing something really, really crazy stupid. I didn't post it online though - LOL. Other than in my own social media, which has a very small footprint!

I was still like "what the heck..." That was probably about ten years ago.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:58 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
You're lucky! In my town we're pretty much forced to shop at Walmart or 2-3 small independent and pricey stores - or drive 30 miles north, or 10-20 miles east to the Publix which is a fabulous store and they do have BOGOs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty