Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2023, 09:34 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I have heard of this happening and have never used a push mower without wearing heavy boots.
Not even heavy boots, even just regular shoes. I'm always surprised to hear that people are mowing the lawn in cheap plastic flip flops. I even wear long pants, because I don't want to get bitten or stung by anything, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 09:55 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,413 times
Pet peeves - items that are appropriate for high school girls but not grown women.

clunky and cutesy canvas sneakers
knee length cargo pants with those side ties hanging
winter caps with huge pom-poms
pigtails
cutesy ballerina slippers with rounded toes
spaghetti strap tops
ankle chains
blue and green nail polish - a lot of people will disagree with this one but to me it's tacky. Why not let high school girls do their crazy colored nails and stop trying to copy them

Old 06-15-2023, 10:14 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
Biggest pet peeve? The lack of 100% cotton jeans that actually fit a woman of a certain age.
Come to think of it, the lack of 100% cotton choices in a lot of apparel. Everyone is donning rubber this and that. No thanks.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My niece was mowing her yard, wearing flip flops, and slipped and now she is missing a few toes. So be careful!
My neighbor reached out to me a couple months ago and asked what proper safety gear he should have on to cut down a tree. I told him that safety is very subjective and he best not take any safety tips from me, lol. Safety is something I pretty much disregard 75% of the time, the other 25% are situations where I simply do not feel safe and therefore take the necessary precautions.

Old 06-15-2023, 03:01 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I hate flip flops for myself, but I know others love them, so I'm never going to win that battle. To me, I can't stand having something between my toes, and I don't know if it's how my feet are shaped or how I walk, but I find them so uncomfortable to walk in. I wear sandals, generally slides, flats, huaraches, often something with an ankle strap.
I absolutely cannot stand anything between my toes. It immediately makes me clench my feet and walk funny and usually trip. So I don't ever wear them. Olukai slides only when i want a non-shoe.

Old 06-15-2023, 04:14 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Unbelievable reading some of these "peeves" - good for you if you have pretty feet - let people be comfortable as long as they aren't wearing eye-boggling things. Not everyone has "pretty feet" but if they are willing to show their feet, more power to them. I mostly want people to wear clothing that fits (not several sizes to small, a belly hanging out, etc.)

Old 06-15-2023, 07:06 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,046,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Unbelievable reading some of these "peeves" - good for you if you have pretty feet - let people be comfortable as long as they aren't wearing eye-boggling things. Not everyone has "pretty feet" but if they are willing to show their feet, more power to them. I mostly want people to wear clothing that fits (not several sizes to small, a belly hanging out, etc.)
Some don't mind the show of ugly feet and others don't mind the show of big bellies. To each her own...we're talking fashion peeves here.

Look, I am old and have ugly hands so I don't wear jewelry to call attention to them. Lots of old ladies don't agree and load themselves up with expensive bracelets and rings designed to catch the eye due to their obvious expense. Their choice, but I can have an opinion and my thought is that I want to look the best I can for my age and one way to do that is not to draw attention to my flaws.

On the subject of flip flops, i have several by Vionic which are very comfortable. I have a couple pair of Oofos which are extremely comfortable but I once did a face plant walking late at night when one caught on the edge of a raised corner of sidewalk. So I walk very slowly and carefully when wearing.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:21 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Pet peeves - items that are appropriate for high school girls but not grown women.

clunky and cutesy canvas sneakers
knee length cargo pants with those side ties hanging
winter caps with huge pom-poms
pigtails
cutesy ballerina slippers with rounded toes
spaghetti strap tops
ankle chains
blue and green nail polish - a lot of people will disagree with this one but to me it's tacky. Why not let high school girls do their crazy colored nails and stop trying to copy them
agree with all... men wearing like childrens hats with massive pom poms look ridiculous.. dont like garish nail varnishes either.. grown women who have their hair in bunches..all they need as a teddy bear... stupid..... the cargo pants are hideous.. spaghettis tops over big fat arms.. ugly... men turning their caps round back to front as if cool.. same with sunglasses tucked down their t shirts... women who wear low back tops or dresses but dont see the back fat hanging over.. a big no no..cut out shoulders on tops.. daft.... one sided tops in slant... sleeves on jumpers with frills round cuff.. frills of any sort.. ugly fashion.. electric colours.. that sharp yellowish green.. pink or orange.. used to call them rock no roll colours years ago.. flashing belly button rings bought abroad how crass and tacky..those Pandora bracelets with all the junk on them.. hate them...

Old 06-16-2023, 01:22 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
More power to anyone looking at mine.. they really are ugly..and I prefer to hide them..

Old 06-16-2023, 05:52 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Whats Lularoe..
Second person to ask this - it's a clothing MLM (multi-level marketing scheme) known for women's clothes with outrageous patterns. Also known for poor quality. I've seen a section of "dresses" in a local thrift store that I could instantly ID as Lularoe because of how ugly they are. The reps quite often get sick of the whole scheme and donate their entire inventory to thrift stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty