Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:39 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

No. Because work attire is mean to not offend. You could offend someone with a large leather piece just like you would a fur coat. Leave your personal style for your social life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 05:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Oh please....One could "offend" someone in any number of ways. I suppose that if a FLDS person came to my workplace they could be "offended" because I, as a woman, have short hair and wear pants; I suppose a practicing Muslim could be "offended" if I don't wear a headcovering....the list goes on. This is the Fashion and Beauty forum. Take your political/lifestyle choices to Great Debates, or Politics or whatever....

Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
No. Because work attire is mean to not offend. You could offend someone with a large leather piece just like you would a fur coat. Leave your personal style for your social life.
If that was the case/really an issue we'd all wear nondescript uniforms or something. As I said before, I think it really does depend on the job, but if everyone was worried about offending someone by what they wear then I think more businesses would have stricter dress codes. If that were the case, I'd be sad, because then I wouldn't be able to wear Slipknot shirts to work! I don't really care if I offend someone with what I wear either, btw, so long as it covers the majority of my body and is safe for my work environment.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
Depends on the leather and, honestly, what kind of shape you're in and how it fits. A lady I worked with frequently wore a pair of brown leather pants to work. Looked GREAT and perfectly acceptable for the office. She was in good shape, the pants fit well (not tight) and she wore them with very polished twinset tops.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Well the business make dress codes for a reason. I guess you never worked anywhere that had strict codes.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Well the business make dress codes for a reason. I guess you never worked anywhere that had strict codes.
Well, obviously it depends on the business. Unfortunately, I have worked some places with VERY strict dress codes. But many places would be perfectly fine with someone wearing not-tight brown leather pants with a conservative cardigan and heels... fringe biker pants, probably not so much.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
http://www.refinery29.com/editorial/img/leathertrousers_greathitsny.jpg (broken link)

Refined trousers. Not club wear or biker chic.

It depends entirely on what kind of business and what the occasion is...Heady Corporate board meeting? Nah. Meeting a new client? Maybe not. Day-to-day operations, sure. Although I would recommend something other than the lovely but sparse camisole in this last image.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Well, obviously it depends on the business. Unfortunately, I have worked some places with VERY strict dress codes. But many places would be perfectly fine with someone wearing not-tight brown leather pants with a conservative cardigan and heels... fringe biker pants, probably not so much.
They are a bit nutty. I have seen codes that restrict color, fit and length like a private catholic school or something

Old 06-05-2009, 03:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Is it appropriate to wear leather to work (jacket, pants or a skirt) as long as it's classy looking?

I can't seem to picture it

I imagine it would be appropiate as long as it is not cheap looking
black, brown, or "pleather"
for some reason I envision John Travolta" in "Staying Alive"
seriously though; if you are classy i'm sure you will wear it well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvQ8sUbgA2c

Old 06-05-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
They are a bit nutty. I have seen codes that restrict color, fit and length like a private catholic school or something
Yeah... the most obnoxious dress code I had (research firm with no client contact) didn't allow women to wear shoes with open toe or heel (so, even dressy mules were out), pantyhose required, no sleeveless tops (as in, not even sleeveless dresses/shells a la Michelle Obama with an open cardigan on top). And, they "preferred" employees to NOT wear suits/jackets because they wanted a more casual look. Actually, most people dressed like total slobs, but management was fine with that so long as the rules weren't broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty