Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which purse should I choose?
Black & Brown 6 27.27%
Khaki & Black 9 40.91%
Fuchsia 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,250 times

Advertisements

I like a pop of color however for a conservative office I would go with brown, black or gray and structured. I also would go for quality (this is not the time to get any fake leather or fabric)--you can often find quality made purses at TJ Maxx which would work.
Something like this springs to mind:

If it is a bit less conservative and you do want a pop of color I would get good shape in a color like Yellow (great for spring and very 'now')--however you will not use this in fall/winter so it may not be as practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Bump?
You should ditch all three and get something from Guess

I gifted mom with a Guess bag and she loves it. It's super-shiny and red with a braided shoulder strap. It's kind of big too. Somewhat pricey though, coz the one I got for her was like 450$

But there were also cool ones under 200.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
I really like Coach bags, and they do last forever. I have 2 leather one ove 20 years old which I still
use.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Macys online is running a sale right now a "totes" category for handbags. You might want to check there as well:

Etienne Aigner "Modern" Tote - Totes & Top Handles Handbags - Handbags & Accessories - Macy's
Etienne Aigner "Bradford" Tote - Totes & Top Handles Handbags - Handbags & Accessories - Macy's
Jessica Simpson Boulevard Glazed Tote - Totes & Top Handles Handbags - Handbags & Accessories - Macy's

If you wanted a nice pop of color, the last one would work, since it is plain. You can do the color if the bag is plain, yet structured, and it will still be professional. I don't know if you have a Macys in your area, but they often offer 20% off on top of the sale price, if you have a Macys card.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times
To the OP, I like the first one

Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,250 times
I think anything Guess or Coach that DOES NOT have logos on it is fine-other than that *gag*

Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
It's for work, it has to be professional, and like upper class professional, not "I'm a receptionist and all my dress clothes are from express" professional.

Then ditch #1 & #2. Someone else said #1 looked cheap and it does to me as well. The reason? The size of the stitching and trim make it look "chintzy". The rope handles on #2 look to "beachy" or summery and not "professinal" at all.

I like #3 even though it is a pop of color and I don't have a problem w/ color for professional outfits. It is not like your going to be walking around the office carrying your handbag all day long. Only when you come in first thing in the morming, leave/come back for lunch and leave at the end of the day. Red can go w/ just about any color of outfit you wear as a pop of color.

I liked that last handbag posted. Best of the bunch of all pictures posted.

Quote:
I think you guys are right about the third one not being professional enough, but because of the shape, not the color. What do you think? I like the color because I think it states "confidence".

AlexTx, I know you say the first one looks cheap, and I guess you can't tell from the picture, but it was *really* nicely made and actually the most expensive of the bunch. Go figure!

The color is fine. Like I said, your not going to be walking around the office all day carrying your red handbag. Most people you work with will never even see it unless they walk in or out with you.

I never would have thought the first one was the most expensive at all. It sure does not look like it.

Look around and see if there is a Coach outlet store nearby and see what they have. Find something that is not emblazoned w/ giant C's all over it in a nice neutral leather. No cloth or rope detailing at all either.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Then ditch #1 & #2. Someone else said #1 looked cheap and it does to me as well. The reason? The size of the stitching and trim make it look "chintzy". The rope handles on #2 look to "beachy" or summery and not "professinal" at all.
oh, I don't know if #1 looks cheap. Mainly I didn't like it because I thought it was boring. But thanks for your opinion anyway, since that's what I was asking for here.

I never considered the ropes handles on #2 would make it look summery. Maybe it's because I think the rest of the purse pulls it together and keeps it from looking too much like a beach bag.

Quote:
I like #3 even though it is a pop of color and I don't have a problem w/ color for professional outfits. It is not like your going to be walking around the office carrying your handbag all day long. Only when you come in first thing in the morming, leave/come back for lunch and leave at the end of the day. Red can go w/ just about any color of outfit you wear as a pop of color.

The color is fine. Like I said, your not going to be walking around the office all day carrying your red handbag. Most people you work with will never even see it unless they walk in or out with you.
The thing is, I'm going to be training for the first couple of days all day long with my supervisor, and she's totally going to see it. Not that a bag will make or break me, but first impressions are important, and I'd like to be able to hit the ground running with everything as best as it can possibly be.

Quote:
Look around and see if there is a Coach outlet store nearby and see what they have. Find something that is not emblazoned w/ giant C's all over it in a nice neutral leather. No cloth or rope detailing at all either.
Unfortunately, Coach, or even outlet Coach purses, are way outside my budget for right now. Even if I manage to save a lot of money, I don't know if I could ever personally see myself spending that much on a purse. I know it's good quality and everything but still. In any event, I can't do it right now financially.

Point taken about the keeping the purse all one texture, I guess I shy away from the 100% vinyls and leathers because it looks too Mom-like for my tastes. But maybe it's time to move into the Mom purses because I'm at the age I guess I consider a typical professional mom to be (even though I don't have kids).

Anyway, thanks for all your advice, it was helpful

Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
It's for work, it has to be professional, and like upper class professional, not "I'm a receptionist and all my dress clothes are from express" professional.
Yeah....I agree. You don't want to be carrying something that screams "Aren't I just the cutest?". I like the middle one. I don't care for the lettering on the third one, and the first one is just too plain. I think the handles on the second one are just enough to give it a little character...and I much prefer the two-tone as well. #2 is my vote.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:05 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
No cloth or rope detailing at all either.
Oh I think a small amount of that type of detail makes a purse look much nicer. Tons of metal detail is what make a purse look chintzy. IMHO of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty