Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I have socialized with people before. Right now not as much because I am busy with things but yes, I have had a friend before that I used to hang out with, go to movies with etc.

The point is not whether I'm normal or not, or if I have enough social interactions. I guess the point is that drugs and drinking is kind of useless, from my point of view. It doesn't serve a purpose, even if it's "fun".
Jackie am like you in some ways. Never touched alcohol, drugs or smoke of any kind in my 52 years. I also used to spend a great deal of time taking care of my body by working out. I don't do that now since I am who I am and getting too old to have to impress anyone. I feel I can impress more now with my superior knowledge and personality.

You are probably young. You will not understand this now but when you get older you will see that owning all those nice things like expensive cars, big house, all the toys etc all mean jack sheet when you get buried 6' under. I learned this the hard way so I am not bragging. Not very long ago I had it all. A successful business that afforded me all the show off toys in life. The current economic depression has murdered me to the point where I downsized my life and lifestyle to less.....much less then the bare minimums to survive. Do I want that big house and big car again? Who gives a sheet.

And finally, all that nice stuff to make you look good means nothing if you don't go out and enjoy showing it off. I just get the impression you don't go out. We all need to get away from people and have some "ME" time. But not all the time. You might look attractive to a man but once you open your mouth they will snicker and run. Maybe you don't care about that. Many people hate others who have more then them or are smarter then them. It's human nature. So tread lightly in how you say things.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Wow I didn't know a Mercedes would make me look better, I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Frankly there is not one "thing" that can make me look better. It comes from inside, my heart, my health. Sheesh!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 AM

354 posts, read 855,211 times
Quote:
I don't know what other forum to post this in so I guess it goes here?

I'm in my early 30's and I have never done drugs my whole life. Not even pot. I don't see the point of taking drugs because it doesn't make you look better in any way (if anything it detracts from your looks over the long run) and it's not "visible" by others.

By this I mean, if I have lots of money, I would want to spend it on a Mercedes Benz or a designer handbag or an expensive house. At least this is beneficial to my image and makes me look good. However, doing drugs is not tangible, it doesn't enhance your status in any way and no one would know how much money you spent, whereas if you drive a Benz, EVERYONE will know what you spent.

I understand people do it to make them feel good but personally I like spending money on my looks (cosmetics (Nars, Mac, Chanel etc), treatments etc) and on VISIBLE goods (expensive cars, bags) etc because it makes me look good. I would never smoke pot because it doesn't improve my status and it doesn't do anything for my body; it certainly doesn't make me look fitter or make my skin glow.

That's why I never understood why people do drugs. For me personally, doing something is only worth it if it helps me look better in some way.

I get that some people have pain their lives, but personally I ease my own pain by shopping, pampering myself, taking care of myself and making sure I will look as young as I can as humanly possible.

Also, I'm super vain and I would never do anything to jeopardize my looks or dry out my skin or make my skin red such as drinking etc. I think I look at least 10 years younger because I never smoked, never drank and never ever party.
I understand what your getting at. It's better to waste money on things like cosmetics and fashion even though you don't have anything in a few years to show for it at least you looked good and felt good about yourself at the time. Drugs make you feel good for a few hours then you feel like crap. I agree with you!

People on drugs and alcohol don't think rationally though. The addict I knew very well thought he was entitled to anything he wanted. In his head he should have been able to spend his money on drugs and still have lots of nice stuff. He had an enabler that provided him with a lot and what he couldn't get from her he stole and sold drugs to get.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:43 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
Jackie, since you have such a passion for cosmetics and things that make a woman beautiful, why didn't you become a makeup artist? You'd be helping people look even better and make money at it too.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:

I'm in my early 30's and I have never done drugs my whole life. Not even pot. I don't see the point of taking drugs because it doesn't make you look better in any way (if anything it detracts from your looks over the long run) and it's not "visible" by others.

Also, I'm super vain and I would never do anything to jeopardize my looks or dry out my skin or make my skin red such as drinking etc. I think I look at least 10 years younger because I never smoked, never drank and never ever party.
Um, there ARE drugs that improve looks. It's called diet pills and BOTOX.

Anyway.....

I'm your age, and get told daily I do look 10yrs younger, and I drink and smoke and have taken drugs in the past. (spent 2 yrs back in the 90's on the Rez drinking daily and using peyote, and left there a better person, haven't touched drugs since, mind you) But then again, I work out daily, and eat very healthy.

Alcohol has been proven to improve body condition, and having a drink a day is good for your health.

As with ANYTHING, it's good in moderation. Too much of anything (drugs, alcohol, shopping, vanity, etc...) is what is really bad for ya.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:50 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
I am not puritanical at all. I don't believe in abstinence. I am very open-minded. I think women should be able to enjoy sex as freely as they want without being labeled as "sluts".

Sex is good for you. It improves your appearance because it gives you a sense of well-being. It's physical activity and it also releases stress and tension and it's free (at least for me it is). So I indulge in sex as much as I can. it doesn't age me or harm my body in any way (safe sex).

Drugs and alcohol on the other hand is just pointless. They harm your looks. Sex doesn't harm your looks, you look better afterwards (glow to the skin).

Funny thing is, the cosmetic company Nars even has a blush called "Orgasm", blush to simulate the glow after orgasm. Also, sex is free (for me) and doesn't hurt my finances. It doesn't take away from money that I could be spending on myself but drugs and alcohol does.

There is no such thing as 100% safe sex, don't kid yourself sugar.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
To the OP:

This is how I picture you:

NARCISSUS by Italian Baroque artist Caravaggio
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/narcissus.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
I don't know what other forum to post this in so I guess it goes here?

By this I mean, if I have lots of money, I would want to spend it on a Mercedes Benz or a designer handbag or an expensive house. At least this is beneficial to my image and makes me look good. However, doing drugs is not tangible, it doesn't enhance your status in any way and no one would know how much money you spent, whereas if you drive a Benz, EVERYONE will know what you spent.

I understand people do it to make them feel good but personally I like spending money on my looks (cosmetics (Nars, Mac, Chanel etc), treatments etc) and on VISIBLE goods (expensive cars, bags) etc because it makes me look good. I would never smoke pot because it doesn't improve my status and it doesn't do anything for my body; it certainly doesn't make me look fitter or make my skin glow.

That's why I never understood why people do drugs. For me personally, doing something is only worth it if it helps me look better in some way.

I get that some people have pain their lives, but personally I ease my own pain by shopping, pampering myself, taking care of myself and making sure I will look as young as I can as humanly possible.

I guess that unlike you, I don't need to spend money in order to look good.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
To the OP:

This is how I picture you:

NARCISSUS by Italian Baroque artist Caravaggio
Interestingly accurate. Narcissus was so in love with himself that he alienated himself from society, preferring to spend all his time looking at his reflection. He died alone and obsessed with his own image.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:20 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
I can relate and understand where you are coming from. Though I drink (maybe a couple glasses of red wine a week, which is indeed good for you if you read the reports) I agree that wasting money on drugs and cigarettes only limits life. Not only does it ruin your looks, but your brain cells, lungs, and quality of life in general. I love my fancy cars, my big house, my designer clothes and bags and spend time on my appearance, working out, facials, eating healthy, etc.

But this is not what brings me happiness, this is not what I live for, what I am passionate about, or what gets me up in the morning. Its not what I base my life on nor what defines me. Its the icing on the cake, but not the main meal. If everything would disappear today I would still be the same person. Its good to enjoy life and to enjoy the fun things you have, but be sure not to put too much emphasis on it and place your priorities in the right places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty