Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i know! how about wearing your PJ's everywhere you go. that would have totally been weird if anyone had done it in the 80's. sadly it's becoming the norm now
When I was camper in the late 70s, my friend and I wore pjs to breakfast figuring that they cover more than shorts and a t-shirt (and we were too uninspired to change out of them). We were sent back to the cabin to put on clothes. When I worked there 10 years later, things had changed drastically even then. Now, pjs wouldn't draw a second look.

I volunteer at a large airport and see all sorts of people who look like they just rolled out of bed. I'm all for comfort but, geez, save the plaid flannel pjs for home. Makes me think they didn't even bother to brush their teeth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Linsay Lohan is a skank, not a musician (then again, the only one in that modern list I listen to is Gaga). Also, you do follow trends, you just either don't realize it or don't want to admit to it.
Which trends would those be?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Which trends would those be?
Do you wear light wash or dark wash jeans? What cut is your jacket? What cut are your jeans? What colour is your t-shirt? If you wear a belt, what kind?

Unless you just walk around in a burlap sack, the fashion industry is - believe it or not - dictating what you wear. I don't care if you're wearing the same thing you did in the 80's, because these days, that's called vintage, and it's in.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Do you wear light wash or dark wash jeans? What cut is your jacket? What cut are your jeans? What colour is your t-shirt? If you wear a belt, what kind?

Unless you just walk around in a burlap sack, the fashion industry is - believe it or not - dictating what you wear. I don't care if you're wearing the same thing you did in the 80's, because these days, that's called vintage, and it's in.
I never said I don't wear clothes. I just tend to not follow the crowd. Today, skinny jeans are in style, along with those funny looking ball caps, and tapout/affliction type design shirts, tattoos, piercings, and bald heads. I have none of the above.

As I had said in another post in this thread, I have a mostly classic appearance. I wear Brooks Bros, Polo, Nautica. I hardly wear jeans but do have some classic 501s. Belts are classic brown, black casual and dress belts for work. My hair is neatly trimmed and parted on the side. I am thin and tanned. Not a freak.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
When what you wear and would be wearing anyway happens to coincide with what's trendy, it doesn't necessarily mean you're following a trend; if anything, the trend just so happens to be following you. My dad's been wearing boot cut indigo wash Wranglers for decades, as have most outdoor-working midwesterners who wear boots to their jobs, and they've gone in and out of style at various points, but I guarantee he's been oblivious to the ever-changing whims of fashion.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
I never said I don't wear clothes. I just tend to not follow the crowd. Today, skinny jeans are in style, along with those funny looking ball caps, and tapout/affliction type design shirts, tattoos, piercings, and bald heads. I have none of the above.

As I had said in another post in this thread, I have a mostly classic appearance. I wear Brooks Bros, Polo, Nautica. I hardly wear jeans but do have some classic 501s. Belts are classic brown, black casual and dress belts for work. My hair is neatly trimmed and parted on the side. I am thin and tanned. Not a freak.
Some people would say, "a classic wardrobe never goes out of style."

Old 07-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Some people would say, "a classic wardrobe never goes out of style."
That is true.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,626 times
Quote:

I never said you don't wear clothes, I said "unless you wear a burlap sack."

You're obviously unaware that there are different fashion trends going on right now, at the same exact time. There is no singular "crowd," there are a whole bunch of different ones.

Sounds to me like you're in with the "classic prep" trend.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I never said you don't wear clothes, I said "unless you wear a burlap sack."

You're obviously unaware that there are different fashion trends going on right now, at the same exact time. There is no singular "crowd," there are a whole bunch of different ones.

Sounds to me like you're in with the "classic prep" trend.

Again, I don't usually follow trends. It seems lost on you to understand that some people don't care about trends. I don't change drastically from year to year, so in my opinion, that is not what I would call following a trend. If you knew how to read and write, you would have understood the part where I said I am more classic than anything. I don't look at people and say "hey, I want to be cool this month. I will wear such and such." If I ever catch myself being "trendy" I will do what I can, within reason, to X out of it.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
If you knew how to read and write, you would have understood the part where I said I am more classic than anything.
Thats just a rude post. If you are going to wear the classics, then you need to learn the gracious manners associated with the look, otherwise, you're just a poseur.
And, just so you know, the classics are based on trends, they just last longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty